Note to New Members ×

Bad Beers

Gecko

A beers discussion on another thread got me to thinking about all the bad beer I have been subjected to over the years. the two worst however were from Korea

Hite= a watery brew with a generous dose of formaldehyde

and

Oscar= a peach flavored malt liquor which in truth is something like drinking cheap perfume.

I found it difficult to drink enough Hite to maintain a buzz but the chemical hangover then next day was awful.

Oscar on the other hand goes down way to easy for something so putrid and it creates a glow that seems to last for hours, that could however attributed to the fact that it numbs your tongue to its foul taste so you can continue to drink in for hours. The worst hangover of my adult life was spent at sea aboard the USS Kitty Hawk after a day (at least 14hours) spent drinking Oscar prior to getting underway.

so what are your worst beers and the stories that go with them

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that you'd mention Hite...I've got a couple friends who order that whenever we're out for dinner, but they've never gotten drunk off of it (and I don't drink it at all since I'm always driving, dammit - although perhaps that's a good thing, after your description of it).

My worst? Guiness. Oh. My. God. It's horrible. Hell, Colt 45 (an ultra-cheap, extra-large bottle beer usually purchased by alcoholics, the homeless or teens) is better. Although I will need to try skittlebrau sometime.

Actually, I've never had a hangover, so I can't comment on beer giving me that. :ices_ange But to finish on a more positive note, berry coolers and traditional beer go very well together - one in each hand, sip back and forth, bliss indeed.

My worst? Guiness. Oh. My. God. It's horrible. Hell, Colt 45 (an ultra-cheap, extra-large bottle beer usually purchased by alcoholics, the homeless or teens) is better.

Neuffy I thought we have always been friends here online. But all that can stop. That you don't like the amount of flavor that is packed into a very low sugar, low calorie beer is one thing, but to say that Colt 45 is better is where I draw the line.

:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro

:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

If you recant now we may be able to save this. :eplus2::eplus2:

I was trying to come up with some bad beers, but all I could do was relive some very immature events from my youth. Mostly involving things like Coors light, Carling (I think) Black Label that i could buy for 6 or 8 bucks a case. Sorry I know that is lame. I am going to go start a Guinness is gold thread.

Hey Neuffy: :AR15firin:flamethro

Guiness is the beverage of the gods... To even utter it in the same sentence as Colt 45 is blasphemy!!!!!

(of course...you are entitiled to your opinion. Even if it is wrong :freak3: )

My wors would have to be that night in college...Junior Year. I was asked to pick upa case for a friend. When we got to the store, a differetn friend and I decided maybe we would have a few pops after all, So we scraped up all the coins we could, and had enough for 2 40 oz bottles of Shaeffer (about $3.00).

After finishing those, we polished off the rest of the case of Busch we bought for the girls (they only drank about about 8). I didn't function the next day...

Seriously...I don't know why so many people like it. It's rancid. (And yeah, I tried it a couple times, just to make sure it wasn't a bad batch.)

I don't drink beer much though. I either go for girly drinks, or hard liquor. Or both.

Natural Ice takes the top of the list of beer I'd say. even though its got something around 6.5% alcohol, it tastes bad

Slitchz Bull (spelling?) is a pretty damn horrible 40, when it comes to 40s. not really sure any of them count as "good" though

Edited by rwcow
removed language

When I lived in Orlando we used to hang out in the park on a picnic table with a flashlight looking for alligator eyes to float on by. All while drinking Steel Reserve one night (friend suggested it and said it gets you drunk quick) a gator definetly came out of the water to check us out. We ran like a bunch of school girls but the true meaning of the story is.........Steel Reserve?!?! Tastes like hot garbage, and leaves you with a horrible hangover. I'll stick with Hefeweizen.

I think the worst beer I've ever had is Red Dawg :woof woof:. (by the way, I think its law that every time you mention red dawg :woof woof: you have to bark... Either that or the barking is in the name of the beer...) You could get 30 packs for like 7 or 8 bucks, so that was what we would get being poor college students. Never really had a memorable hangover from beer, but red dog :woof woof: would just give all of us the worst case of the ****s.. I mean, the kind where you end up with a chapped ass cause it's so bad...

Worse hangover was from Yukon Jack 100p peppermint schnapps... Long story short.. I had alot.. I didn't leave my room for a day and a half.

I once worked for a little tuning shop in Avon,Co called Carl's World Class Sports.Carl only drank beer out of cans and for his renowned ski tunes(people shipped their skis to him from far and wide) refused to even accepts tips of bottled beer.He drank stuff like Milwaukee's best and on special occassions,BUD.It was during my tenure there that I developed my taste for dark beers and microbrews as I got to take home the stuff he didn't want.

Here's the deal with Guinness. Out of a can or bottle, it blows. From the tap, it has to be fresh and the lines have to be clean. The best Guinness is in the bar at the top of the Guinness building in Dublin. My wife had to drag me out of that place.

The worst beers I have ever tasted:

-Bohemia (Mexican, absolute ****e, supposed to be a pilsner but has a nasty, chemical aftertaste)

-Buckeye (Ontario, thankfully discontinued in the 80s. The beer reps used to give this stuff away to students)

-Budweiser (I don't know how this stuff sells. Oddly enough, Bud Light is actually palatable)

-Coors Lite (If I want water, I'll order water)

My favs right now:

Hockley Dark (Ontario)

Guinness

Pilsner Urquel (Czech)

Here's the deal with Guinness. Out of a can or bottle, it blows. From the tap, it has to be fresh and the lines have to be clean. The best Guinness is in the bar at the top of the Guinness building in Dublin. My wife had to drag me out of that place.

My favs right now:

Hockley Dark (Ontario)

Guinness

Pilsner Urquel (Czech)

Ok now let me preface this by saying I have never been to the Guinness building in Dublin so my point of reference is different.

What I am hearing you say translated to sex: Sex with a super model blows, until you sleep with Giselle ( or Victoria Jealouse) you don't know what great sex with an incredibly beautiful, active, athletic girl is like.

In other words Guinness in a can may not be the top of the beer pyramid of godliness and purity, but I guarantee that it is better than anything else out there in a can and 98% of what is in bottles.

But then I was mildly offended by Jack's PBR reference, which I think is the best of a very bad lot of average low cost high sugar beers.

So what do I know.

But then I was mildly offended by Jack's PBR reference, which I think is the best of a very bad lot of average low cost high sugar beers.

Whenever I'm feeling poor, or if I'm forced to go along with a crowd of posers who think slumming with cheap beer is the hip thing to do, I reach for The Champagne of Beers.... Miller High Life. 10x better than PBR for similar coin.

ugggh I'd fogotten about Red Dawg....back befor I married my wonderful bride I lived in a house with 4 other guys....someone brought a 6 pack of the Dawg to our house warming party....well I moved out a year later and moved in with my then fiance....4 years after that the same 6 pack minus 1 bottle was left in the fridge for the next tenant...it's pretty sad when beer won't get touched in a house full of single guys holding parties

Ok now let me preface this by saying I have never been to the Guinness building in Dublin so my point of reference is different.

What I am hearing you say translated to sex: Sex with a super model blows, until you sleep with Giselle ( or Victoria Jealouse) you don't know what great sex with an incredibly beautiful, active, athletic girl is like.

In other words Guinness in a can may not be the top of the beer pyramid of godliness and purity, but I guarantee that it is better than anything else out there in a can and 98% of what is in bottles.

So what do I know.

To extend your analogy, let's say drinking Guinness out of a can is like having a quickie in some dank alley with Heidi Klum after she's played three games of squash. In other words, I'll do it if I have to but I can think of better circumstances.

To extend your analogy, let's say drinking Guinness out of a can is like having a quickie in some dank alley with Heidi Klum after she's played three games of squash. In other words, I'll do it if I have to but I can think of better circumstances.

Agreed that out of the tap IN IRELAND is the best way to drink Guinness.

Out of the tap anywhere would be preferred over the can.

But in two weeks when I am sitting in the hot springs on my favorite river and reach over and crack open a can of Guinness, poured it into my chilled glass it will be the best of beer in the best circumstance I could think to drink it.

BTW, I love hot sweaty supermodels. They are my favorite kind. The dank alley does nothing for me. But location and circumstance do change things.

Sorry Gecko for the threadjack - now back to the worst beers on earth.

And Jack, the High Life does nothing for me, it has a certain acrid, pungent aftertaste that clings to the back of my tongue like a hyena clamped onto a baby elephant. And it is less pleasant than that.

:barf:

How you say - there is no accounting for taste.

Carling Extreme, Carling Extra Strong, Carling Light, Carling this and Carling that...

Molson makes too many varieties of Carling.

The first ever made was (and is still) horrible. Now, they make all those disgusting ones (like 4%, 5%, 6.5%, 8%, ans even 10%!!!!)

Same ****, different alcohol percentage. Cheap booze for homeless people on the streets ! (i am not judging, just observing what they drink here in Montreal)

I could list a lot on here, but will let you discover for yourself if you ever come to Montreal.

Guiness and Kilkenny are always a good choice IMHO.

:freak3: Ok seriously how can Guinness be horrible???? Seriously this stuff is awesome :biggthump . Jack recommended Miller High Life as a cheap good beer for the summer, and it's not that bad.

Terrible beers I've had:

Bush Light (keep the comments to your selves :lol: )

PBR

Keystone Light

basically any cheap US made beer :freak3:

oh yeah...any of you fellow new englanders ever have Narragansett???? it was the cheap teen beer of choice for most of us growing up...It ranks up there with Carlings various offerings.

Now really guys, is there really such thing as a bad beer

just like there is no such thing as a bad bl*w j*b

:lol:

I would have to say the worst beer I tasted was when I used to drink Coors light and someone (MYself) put my smoke out in it and I took a swig. I puked for about 20 minutes on myself and my friends that were nearby.

Thankfully my beer tastes have matured and I enjoy the local microbrews alot.

Jack recommended Miller High Life as a cheap good beer for the summer, and it's not that bad.

Let me make myself clear, there are zillions of better beers, of course. I'm just saying if you're in the mood or crowd for cheap beer, it's the least offensive and somewhat enjoyable (especially if it's 95 degrees out and/or you've got a long afternoon/night of carefully paced drinking to do).

Terrible beers I've had:

basically any cheap US made beer :freak3:

Hey now, there are many crappy imports....

Stella Artois

Heineken

Molson

Moosehead

Becks

Corona... I could go on.

Hey now, there are many crappy imports....

Stella Artois

Heineken

Molson

Moosehead

Becks

Corona... I could go on.

Whoa now! Corona? Becks? Heineken? Stella? I realize they may not be the best beers you've ever had, but they aren't bad by any means. Corona is one of my beers of choice if I'm in an easy-drinking mood.