Note to New Members ×

overloading your board/injury

Guest craig bethke

Guest craig bethke

I was laying out some carves and all of a sudden did a complete flip. Lucky for me only sprained my ankle. I've been boarding for about 10yrs. and this is the first time something like that has happend to me. I was using my volant 162. Please give some advice to avoid this type of thing happening again.

Hah! I've hurt myself pretty good a couple of times on my new Volant Excel. The thing is obviously able to hold a line well, but if you get off-balance, all of that sprung weight has to go someplace. =)

Two Sundays ago a broke a bone in my wrist in the race course (not really the fault of the board, of course). I was a bit off-balance coming around a gate and hit it with my hand, low to the ground.

Then last Sunday I had the worst snowboard crash of my life on that thing. I was tired and sloppy, and shouldn't have been racing (and had fallen a few times already). I hit some bumps, got off balance, and basically got my weight onto the wrong side of the board.

I think my weight was too far forward, so it was like I was compressing a diving board. Then I caught the nose somehow and BOING I just saw the world doing loops around me.

I got flipped around and my rear hip slammed into the snow. No blood, no broken bones, but holy **** my hip has been hurting.

I felt like a wuss because while there was a lump, there was NO bruising.... until TODAY. It took six days for the blood to make it to the surface and bruise. That was a deep one.

Anyway, I still love that board, even if it does scare the bejesus out of me. I can tell during the brief time when I do keep it in the course that it is by far the fastest board I've ever ridden (part of the problem, actually... the consequenses of screwing up keep rising).

I'm planning on heading back out for the first time since the crash tomorrow... 7 days off is the longest I've gone without boarding this season...

Good luck. =)

I can second the notion that you probly dug the nose in. I did this twice this year. Once was after we got 10 inches of fresh powder that fell throughout the day. This particular run had just been groomed within the previos 2 minutes. I was trying to be a Rock-star in front of a lady friend and was making really tight, quick turns on the fresh quarteroy, and was going along fine till I got to my 6th or 7th turn. I got my weight way forward, and made a nice impression of superman:eek: . I did the required flip, and roll, then got up, and kept going downhill like nothing happened;) :D . On the next pass I noticed someting really cool. The trench leading up to there I planted the nose, and did the pole vault was ~3-4 inches deep. It was beautiful, Too bad i didn't have a camera, lol. So ya, you probly did get the weight forward. Another possibility is that since the snow was packed, you might have hit a small bump,and gotten the board in the air and landed with the nose down. Doing this has also resulted in me doing an end-over-end. Just mt 2 cents on the situation. Hope this helps.

This has happened to me a few times also, it hurts like a son of a bitch. When you go over the handle bars, you smash your noggin and shoulder at the same time. The first time I did it, I saw stars, I thought that was just a myth, but I really saw stars. It feels like someone grabbed you by the legs kinda like a baseball bat and swung you around to hit the ground as hard as they could. It has happend on my 167 rossi alpine and my 188 coiler PR, and usually when I am going pretty fast. By reading Bordy's thread about detuning, it made sense that it will reduce nose loading, and come to think of it, all the times it happend, my boards werent detuned.

Cya

Jason