Note to New Members ×

Kelowna report with pics

skategoat

Guys:

Got back from our mini Expression Session in the Kelowna BC area. We rode three mountains in three days - Big White, Apex and Silver Star.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on where to ride.

People who live in the area are very lucky to have these three mountains within 1 hour's drive of Kelowna. To characterize each in a sentence or two:

Big White - big and high, tons of uphill capacity, a bit over-developed for my taste. Lots of wide blues, most of the black diamonds are unrideable with tons of bumps.

Apex - the hidden gem of the Okanagan. Less runs and vertical than the other two but less people too. Mostly straight down the fall-line runs, the kind I like. Don't tell any jibbers about this place.

Silver Star - great food in the restaurant at the top of Powder Gulch chair. Nice separation of expert and intermediate/beginner terrain. My only complaint is the fact that they have a crowded, 6 pack high speed quad and two really slow, ancient double chairs on the main face.

Overall, I'd say Kelowna is worth many more visits. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Here are some pics. The two riders are EC-er Extraordinairre, Rob Crobar and Carving Ambassador Stan Chung. That's me on the left of the group shot.

http://www.taylorkim.com/images/kelowna/DSCF0044.jpg

http://www.taylorkim.com/images/kelowna/DSCF0024.jpg

http://www.taylorkim.com/images/kelowna/DSCF0015.jpg

Originally posted by skategoat

Big White - big and high, tons of uphill capacity, a bit over-developed for my taste. Lots of wide blues, most of the black diamonds are unrideable with tons of bumps.

Watchoo talkin' 'bout? There's some very tasty bump runs there, I'm particularily fond of Shaky Knees and anything else off Powder Chair.

What's with the anti-bump prejudice? Did someone form a committee and decide to ignore half the mountain?

Those are some great pics! Hopefully next week I'll get some good shots carving up mid-upper Vermont.

RE bumps: Love to SKI the bumps. But once on my board, I 'accidentally' rode a bump run. I have to say that even though it was tough, it did benefit my riding in that it made me more confident with edge control, and helped my stance. Next chance I get I'll definitely hit a bump run again on my board.

It's all about l being like water: Flow, and you'll find the least resistance.

If you can ride the bumps on your board, my hat goes off to you.

I find my board too long and too stiff to ride any bumps. When I try, I get rocketed off the top of the bumps and lose control. Not fun, especially if you combine bumps with 45 degree slopes and trees.

BTW, check out the blue skies in those photos. It was like that for all three days. The valley was socked in with clouds and the mountains were blue and clear. Fantastic weather.