Note to New Members ×

Hunter Mtn (NY) recs. for next week

FTA2R

hey all,

I'm headed to Hunter Mtn for the 1st time next wed, th, and fr. what runs do you all recommend? (i'm a newbie hardbooter) also, if anyone will be there during that time, let me know maybe we can take some runs together (if you want) and you can give me advice :)... anyone have eyewitness account of current conditions? (hopefully not slushy like Whitetail).

thx,

Barry

Well, I'm a Hunter regular and can tell you that Hunter is not a carve friendly mountain unless you are an accomplished "steeps" carver. Its generally pretty steep, narrow, moguls, sketchy grooming and plenty of unpredictable traffic (unless you are on the double blacks). There is a pretty extensive beginner area that is not on the main hill. However, you are going on the weekday so you should be ok with the crowding.

Most Hunter slopes bathe in the sun so you really have to pay attention to the morning's opening temperature and how the sunshine warms up the slopes as it wraps its way around the hill. Hunter is all about sunshine.

A word of caution: most Hunter beginner slopes off the summit are just glorified goat trails that have been blasted into the side of the mountain. You will spend most of your time on Belt Parkway it sounds to me but do not take that slope lightly. Get yourself into a left hand carve, that you can't get out of, and you

will take a 40 foot plunge to the next world. Those leaves you are on eye level with are TALL trees. Take a peek over the edge for yourself.

38 degrees and bright sun: Hunter is one of the best mountains in the northeast.

30 degrees and overcast: You'll wish you had stayed home.

PS: I have much work to make it up during the week (we have to work overtimes now to send our Information Technology jobs to Banglador, India. I'll have PLENTY of time next year !

Sic t 2

(I usually ride softies at Hunter)

Stan here, a Hunter Mtn. instructor for the past 4 years. Ride Hunter in hardboots all the time. (This season I haven't really been out that much due to personal reasons).

What can I tell ya - try Belt Parkway. See if you like it. Also try taking the D lift (a triple chair) - it goes about 2/3 of the way to the top, comes out to the top of the Broadway. Take Broadway to Kennedy - two of the WIDEST trails at Hunter, and most carver-friendly. Also see if the Madison Ave (off of the B lift) is open - not long, but perfect for a beginner carver. A lot of times they close that trail for various races and stuff, so before you take the B lift - stand at the bottom of B - and you'll be looking straight up Madison and you'll see whether or not they have a course set up or not.

If you want to take a hardboot-specific lesson - call them and find out if Ivan will be around, he's the only one there who teaches full-time and in hard boots.

Have fun!

As mentioned above, for a beginning to intermediate carver the belt parkway tail would probably be the best for you. It does get shade alot of the day so it stays stiff. If it is possible you should take a ride over to Windham. Its about 20 min. from Hunter. It has a much nicer trail layout than Hunter and offers more intermediate trails for carving. It also has steep terrain just in case you get the urge. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!