Note to New Members ×

Neil G - how was Kicking Horse?

Allee

Hey Neil

I looked for you on the weekend, but with the Sat crowds I'd have been lucky to find anybody! Sunday was much better, I can only imagine you had a heap of fun Thu/Fri.

I saw some carving boards there yesterday - a new looking, shortish blue Prior 4 x 4, what looked like a Prior WCR with the Whistler topsheet, and another board I couldn't see too well from the lift. Anyone you met?

KHMR is a great hill! That's got to be the most consistently tough mountain I've ever been to. Not to mention the most conservative with their ratings - I love how those 45 degree chutes that are about 1.5 board lengths wide off of Redemption Ridge are just labelled as single black.

For anyone listening in - not really a carver's hill. I'd leave the 17 cm waisted 196 at home and take your all-mountain board. There's one lift that services a few nice green runs, and two good steep blue runs off of the gondola, but other than that it's all about steeps, trees, chutes and bumps - lots and lots of bumps. Allee's description of "crowds" on Saturday really only applies in comparison to the emptiness of the mid-week. I don't think I ever waited 5 minutes in line.

I only saw one other person on hard boots the three days we were there, but didn't get a chance to talk.

The only down-side to our trip was that we stayed at this place on the east side of the canyon road. Nice place, but we had waits of as much as an hour due to the bridge construction and avy control on the pass.

The trail map for KHMR has two blacks/double blacks for every blue and green, and some of the blues wil spank you pretty hard as well. And when they say black, they mean it. Steep AND bumpy.

I had fun on the greens off Catamount, just practicing technique and hanging out. Attempted a couple of blues and crashed a dozen times as well - another day at the hill ...

Hopefully you make it up once more before the end of the season, let me know and I'll try to hook up.

;)

Originally posted by Allee

I had fun on the greens off Catamount, just practicing technique and hanging out. Attempted a couple of blues and crashed a dozen times as well - another day at the hill ...

Yeah, we spent some time there too. There's a couple of nice blue-ish pitches in the middle of those greens.

I had my kids in ski school and was talking to them about Trevor, who you or someone else recommended. Lots of praise for him but he was off in Banff running a clinic so I didn't get to talk to him.