Note to New Members ×

Oxygen KR70 Dangerous (170cm)

SnowSpeedster

Can anyone tell me anything about this board?

Year made? Intended use? (Recreational railing vs GS, etc.)

I bought it from a skier/bartender friend at Loveland about 4-5 years ago and it has become my favorite board although it IS getting a bit noodley now.

I don't have a pic of the board, as I repainted it a very obnoxious neon yellow. (Stupid trick, I know...) It has (had) a graphic of a snarling Doberman with the word "Dangerous" across it.

Thanks,

Charles

The Oxygen KR series is the predecessor to the Proton. I don't have enough info about them though, I just have an old Oxygen catalog with a KR in it.

Nice set of catalogs you've got there b.t.w.... :biggthump I've got it as a rock-board anyways, turns tight enough for St-Sauveur main resort...

• 9 years later...

I still have the board, but since a heart attack that sent me to the very peaceful dark side in 2012 (they brought me back) I haven't ridden at all. That fire is just no longer there. ☹ If anyone wants her, I would be willing to part with her for free. Local Denver pickup only. 173 cm. Charlesindenver@gmail.com

Definitely a 'recreational cruiser', and better for lighter riders, usually. Over-cambered, but had good edge-hold, so GS-style 'porpoise' turns were a benny. I'd put the weight limit at around 170 lbs., max, ideal weight at 145-155 lbs, but, not for racing. BTW, build quality was pretty good, so they did last with due care.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

3 hours ago, SnowSpeedster said:

I still have the board, but since a heart attack that sent me to the very peaceful dark side in 2012 (they brought me back) I haven't ridden at all. That fire is just no longer there. ☹ If anyone wants her, I would be willing to part with her for free. Local Denver pickup only. 173 cm. Charlesindenver@gmail.com

I find that same peace in every sun sparkled turn

It might be... long time since i had one in my hands... 

Anyhow, KR and Dangerous are not the same. KR is almost identical as later protons, maybe softer. Dangerous is narrower and has tighter SCR. It's kinda like Oxygen's Silberpheil... 

Our local buddy George has one with titanal topsheet - very limited run. that thing looks and rides smoooooth. 

PSR nailed the characteristics of this board on the head- it is best suited for lighter riders, I'm at its target weight of 140lbs.

The titanal topsheet on mine helps a lot with its edge hold in icy conditions, provided that your technique is solid. I got mine from a snowboarding buddy who bought it off of the local Atomic rep in the 90's. It was my first skinny board and got me started in snowboard racing. 

I now have 2 Coiler world cup racers along with this Oxygen Dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...