Note to New Members ×

How do you protect your face?

zoltan

I just came back from a week in Vermont and every single day we were dealing with temperatures well below zero with wind chill. I had a really hard time keeping my face protected and ended up with frostbite on my nose. I tried one of those neoprene masks, but couldn't deal with it being wet all the time. I hate wearing anything that's wet. Are there any good solutions that will protect my face and won't become soaked?

I have a few fleece tubes/neckwarmers that I just tuck under my goggles. Depending on the temperature, I pick a different thickness. The neoprene masks sucked for me too, even after enlarging the breathing holes.

With the fleece tubes, I'm good to -40C/F! Although when it gets really cold it's hard to keep your goggles from fogging - the fleece can tend to channel a tiny portion of your breath directly into the googles. You have to be very careful to ensure that there is a gap at the bottom to let the air out after a layer of frost has formed on the outside.

A full-face helmet doesn't help, unless it's like a snowmobile helmet or something. Don't try that, they fog up nearly instantly...

Guest shrederjen

I used both a mask and neck gaiter on Friday,

during winds gusting to 50mph at Keystone.

They ended up closing all the lifts, one by one,

due to wind. At the bottom of the lift, or in the trees,

I would pull down the neoprene mask, so it could dry off

a bit.... :)

I did a COLD week at Stowe years ago and I remember going through just about every possible face cover, neoprene, gaiter, scarf...petroleum jelly worked really really well, but as was listed above there is better stuff now combined with a full beard. Alas I can't grow a beard for another 2 years (I retire from the Navy then) so I use a gaiter most of the time now

I wear a helmet turtle. Its the fleece tube attched to a thin hood that goes under your helmet. For really cold days I have a little fleece thing that velcros to the foam on my goggles and hangs down about 3/4 of an inch just enough to cover exposed nose and cheek bones. works well to -30f windchill

what about the tape the ski downhillers are using. I just saw a bunch of them wearing tape on their cheekbones that allowed the goggles to overlap down onto it. seemed to work for them. I think the conditions were 0 degrees in Are, Switz where the race was...

Might be worth looking into, as it allows you to breath uniterrupted through your nostrils...

My system uses a Patagonia capliene balaclava liner, followed by a 200 weight Polartec neck gaiter.

I carry a spare neck gaiter in my pocket to replace the one on my face as it gets crusty with frost, and I find that with this system, the balaclava manages to pump the moist air out to the fleece gaiter and stay relatively warm and dry.

The next step in this system is to find ski goggles that do not have vents on the bottom of the frame to allow moist air up and fog the lens. Oakley A frames seem to work best for me with this system, followed by Bolle enforcer goggles.

I use a full face helmet and pull a long neck tube over the top of the chin bar of the helmet and then tuck it under the goggles, when its this cold I also use my Oakley goggles with a small clip on nose/cheek protector that hangs down about 1 inch below the goggles

I like this method as no wet material touching skin

This has kept me frostbite free down to minus 26 celcius, the coldest I have ever had the opportunity to ride in.

Dave*

I just use a thin fleece balaclava from MEC. It's stretchy, so I can have it cover all but my nose, or pull it under my chin if I'm overheating. It's thin enough to fit under my helmet.

Make sure you have enough insulation elsewhere - if your core is not insulated enough, your extremities will be cold even if you don't necessarily feel cold otherwise.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but wanted to append my final solution.

I took a paintball mask which had a amber double lens available, removed everything except the goggle and lower mask, trimmed the top of the goggles down, and finally added a longer strap to make it helmet compatible. It works incredibly well, in fact, there's wasn't anything I'd change. I've used it a couple time in Vermont when it was miserably cold and windy, and it kept my face nice and toasty, and I didn't have anything wet against my skin. When I was done there was a layer of ice on the inside of the mask, but it didn't touch me. The mask also had enough ventilation that my goggles never fogged.

If anyone is looking for a better solution than wet, soggy neoprene or fleece, definitely consider this.