Note to New Members ×

effective edge

jtslalom

There seems to be some talk of how long or short an effective edge should be to maximize performance. I read the effective edge thread where Jack made a comment on centripital force of the snow and having more edge length for the snow to push back on the board. I think theoretically this is correct but I'm not so sure how practical it is. I ride on ICE. I beleive that in order to carve steep icy slopes it is better to have a shorter board with a smaller radius.

Snow density on icy slopes is ten fold than that of hard pack or soft conditions. You really need to dig a trench in order to get a good hold. I must totally extend my legs out of one turn, get as far forward as possible so my c.o.g. is over my front foot and dive into the next turn. I angulate quickly to provide good edge contact and compress into the turn. My chest will almost always hit my front knee. As this happens I ever so slightly fall back through the turn. My pressure will move back towards the middle of my boards edge. My board will be perpendicular to the slope coming across the fall line and my turn will end with me releasing the pressure. I will start the same routine over for the next turn. It is easy for me to apply good pressure across most of the boards length and stay in my original line without slipping out. On a longer board its a little harder to move that pressure along the edge. Unless you have tree trunk quads or are traveling at mach 10, the pressure is ditributed over a greater length and will die off at the ends of the edge. This will cause your board to slip out of its line causing skidding. The bottom line is if your strong and have great technique you can carve anything on any board.

The best article I have read is the Physics of carving. If you truly understand that article and how it relates to the snow, your board and your body, you can analyze your carving at every point.

JT, I have yet to determine "in real life" and without a doubt whether a long board or a short board is "better" on icier conditions. But I'm leaning towards the longer boards. And the fact remains, you just don't see 157's being used in World Cup GS races. Even speed skates are longer than all other kinds of skates.

Glad you liked the physics article. Writing it was a great learning experience for me as well.

-Jack

Jt You are right short boards with tight radius are just eaiser to ride when its steep because the smaller turn radius allows you a better braking turn. So you slow down and feel in control. also because the radius is smaller your mass is delevered quickly to the edge giving the feeling of a stable platform. Also you delever more pounds per inch of edge because there is less edge.

Jack is right about the effective edge arguement, ( it is physics)however.

If you could find a big wide open icee trail that has pitch you would notice the differance a longer edge gives. It provides less pounds per inch but has more cutting surface with less pounds of pressure pushing out toward the arc inducing slide or skid.