4807 178

BlueB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody ridden both the 168 and 178? I am also interested in a review of the differences in ride between the OSIN version and the Dynastar version. I absolutely love my OSIN 168 but I wish it was longer so I am getting one of these. Do I need to hang on to the 168 or are the rides similiar enough that I won't miss it?

Anybody ridden both the 168 and 178? I am also interested in a review of the differences in ride between the OSIN version and the Dynastar version. I absolutely love my OSIN 168 but I wish it was longer so I am getting one of these. Do I need to hang on to the 168 or are the rides similiar enough that I won't miss it?

I havent' ridden both, but I have the 168 and can give you my take on it and a minor tweak to make it a tad more lively.

I didn't like much the drastic difference in flex from front to back you notice with it in normal configuration...the fish tail is still pretty stiff. The nose is way too soft but again my 200lbs is over the top for the 168 however I made it better suited to me...

I extended the cutout in the tail 6" and due to operator error (rode switch into a ditch) extended that to 8". This softened up the rear so the progression of flex feels more natural. Soft still up front, stiff midsection and med. flexing tail. THis also allowed a more centered stance for deep pow due to reduced surface area in the rear. It carves like a dream in softboots (have yet to try the hardboots but may do that this weekend), and is much easier to navigate through trees now...less floping sideways and more surfy turn initiation. Below is a pic of the 6" lengthening along with an adaptiation of my Eldo.

IJZJD-DSCF0757.JPG

Since the extra 2" on top of this picture, I reinforced the notch (apex) with a layer of carbon fiber as a small crack developed after the crash, but it has held up to even an unintentional wheelie on one tail section and high speed...with no failures.

J

I laugh manically every time I ride the thing. I found that the center of the sidecut is all the way back so the rest of the inserts are useless but other than that it carves like a dream in softies I don't even notice the soft nose as I am all the way back. when I rode it centered early on it felt as he just described soft in front etc. I moved back on it and wow what a beautiful ride. I ride angles very similiar to his pic. I haven't noticed a need to modify. It really is perfect unless the powder is 4 ft deep then I occasionally submarine it. I am looking at the 178 for this reason. I find it to be a great crud board as the boat nose cuts it well and its so damp that it eats up bumpy choppy snow like crazy. It also is great in the moguls. the boat nose rides up the sides of the moguls rather than cutting in and sort of auto steers the line for you. IT self corrects a lot of mistakes in the moguls. truly a fun board I hope the 178 dynastar version is as much fun. As for the tanker I have a 173 garage that fills that niche quite well. the osin is better in the trees and the tight steeps though.:biggthump

I laugh manically every time I ride the thing. I found that the center of the sidecut is all the way back so the rest of the inserts are useless but other than that it carves like a dream in softies I don't even notice the soft nose as I am all the way back. when I rode it centered early on it felt as he just described soft in front etc. I moved back on it and wow what a beautiful ride. I ride angles very similiar to his pic. I haven't noticed a need to modify. It really is perfect unless the powder is 4 ft deep then I occasionally submarine it. I am looking at the 178 for this reason. I find it to be a great crud board as the boat nose cuts it well and its so damp that it eats up bumpy choppy snow like crazy. It also is great in the moguls. the boat nose rides up the sides of the moguls rather than cutting in and sort of auto steers the line for you. IT self corrects a lot of mistakes in the moguls. truly a fun board I hope the 178 dynastar version is as much fun. As for the tanker I have a 173 garage that fills that niche quite well. the osin is better in the trees and the tight steeps though.:biggthump

You know, I found the same thing. Had to ride all the way back to get the performance I expected what with the nose and all. After the cutjob, I can now ride centered and it carves better for me...actually better and easier than my A-Frame. Float is still like it was with bindings all the way rearward...even through 3+ft...but turn and performance on piste and hardpack is much better now. That pic has bindings mounted to the rear.

J

Doc, prepare to laugh even more :D 178 is win-win board - longer SCR, more edge, more float and a tad stiffer than 168. Shorty is better only in the trees. But then, 3800 is even better for that, so I eliminated 168 from my quiver options.

And while my Tanker 192 is a better carver, I strongly prefer 4807 in real pow.

I ride 4807 centered on inserts and it carves like a beast for me, but I'm only 175lb.

Boris

very nice and definitely as advertised.:1luvu: beautiful job of packaging it as well.

thanx its hitting the hill tomorrow. It just won't stop snowing long enough for good groom. :D its really a shame that I will have to ride the pow stick another day:biggthump :lol:

ITs definitely not as turny and maneuverable in tight spots as the 168. It will however do a full laid out turn and carves even better than the 168.:biggthump

I will keep both since I found it to be unsuited for moguls and chopped up stuff in the trees. the 168 handles those nicely.

It was fantastic in the wide open fresh :1luvu:

ITs definitely not as turny and maneuverable in tight spots as the 168. It will however do a full laid out turn and carves even better than the 168.:biggthump

I will keep both since I found it to be unsuited for moguls and chopped up stuff in the trees. the 168 handles those nicely.

It was fantastic in the wide open fresh :1luvu:

Interesting - I find the 178 is the shizzle in the trees, chopped up or not! On moguls, however, I'll pass.

Interesting - I find the 178 is the shizzle in the trees, chopped up or not! On moguls, however, I'll pass.

probably the difference is in the rider weight class :eplus2: and my forward angles.

I would expect that I will find it more comfortable in the trees as I get on it more. It was 3-4 inches of heavier new snow on top of crusty mogully crud in the trees on saturday. I know the 168 would handle it but I found the 178 to be a little uncertain considering the possibility of impact :D It'll settle in I am sure but it is definitely a different board. longer side cut and stiffer etc.