Note to New Members ×

Broken ribs and broken dreams

philistine

I'm only 22!! Yikes! What next, will I be moving into a retirement home?

At 22 your Fear Glands shouldn't be fully developed just yet...!!:biggthump

you should have at least 5 more years to go before that happens....

Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery man....

Funny you said how hard core some riders are here... I'm pretty blown away by that too......

:1luvu:

But you know what? How is it different from any other aspect of life? Like you said, you weren't going fast, you were just cruising along. How is that different from hitting a patch of black ice on a winter's day? Or slipping on an icy sidewalk?

They're both risky behaviors, to a certain degree, but is the possibility of injury greater when snowboarding than doing everyday tasks? Just think about this: how long have you been snowboarding? And how many injuries have you had in that amount of time?

Compare the above number with the number of times you've slipped and fell, or just slipped up somehwere and hurt yourself in the same past number of years. Chances are, the numbers will be pretty close.

While I agree that walking on an icy sidewalk may--at times--be treacherous, I have a hard time comparing it with snowboarding or driving on black ice. And yes, I would argue that the three activities are different, regardless of their inherent risk.

• Trees and rocks don't have airbags :freak3:
  • My snowboard doesn't have a seatbelt :smashfrea
  • When walking on the sidewalk, I think the rate of speed is generally much slower than a "moderate" snowboard speed. Also, aside from my grandmother, I've never known anyone to be seriously injured by a sidewalk.
  • Car accidents kill nearly 1.5 million people every year, compare that with the number of sidewalk fatalities.

...is the possibility of injury greater when snowboarding than doing everyday tasks?

That's a great question that I honestly don't know the answer to.

snowboarding = automatic injury? Maybe not, but my experience has shown me a positive correlation between snowboarding and injury.

So Jim, the point that I'm trying to get across is this: I'm a wuss. :D

I'm a wuss.

I really wouldn't like you to think that I, or anyone here, thinks you're a wuss.

I've not managed to completely smash myself on a board yet, modulo the odd sprian, dislocation, grated face and ACL injury I've got off pretty lightly over the years, and certainly more lightly than you have. Motorcycle-wise, it's not the same, I very nearly died in a 100mph+ highside that ended up in the armco, but it didn't stop me riding - I didn't let it. Didn't even stop me riding fast, for that matter, but what it did do was get me to do a refresher advanced riding course.

Your accident will change you - it can't *not* change you, it's an experience after all and all we are is a collection of experiences. Just don't let it turn you into something you don't want to be, is all.

Simon

Been shot 2x in bosnia coming down a rope to fix a tank, fell 15 feet in mud popped both shoulders 3 cracked rips cracked hip lacrated shoulder, rebuit knee.

Partially Collapsed lung ripped rotater cuff last season same shoulder as above over jumped at monarch on a bordercross

split achiles tendon and high ankle sprain split boot, clipped a gate at beaver creek Have finals at steamboat end of march, not sure i will be able to ride but i am going anyway!

And i say wear a helmet and get aflac. :AR15firin

Note when its your time, you will know, otherwise enjoy your time here!

You don't here about people talking about there awsome trip on the couch do you?:sleep: Yes getting back on the board may be a little hellish, but the same could be said for driving a car.

If i can do it, you can do it. Besides Chicks dig scares and good stories

and if you really worried, i will ride with you anytime, not that i am a genius or some great rider or anything.

Reading through the posts and wanted to share my perspective.

I just injured my shoulder a month ago. Bad, bad impact. Hurt so bad I thought I had loose bones flying around in there. Worse than either one of my ACL tears painwise.

I was going off, riding the Burner like a banshee. Having one. Best day of the winter. Until I wasn't. I rode down on my own. Hate riding the sled. Had to have help getting my gear off. Point is bad pain. Bad.

One month later I am looking forward to the day when I can get back up there. I know I will have to start slow and not go full banshee, but I can't wait. If it doesn't happen this year, then I will be super motivated to get in even better shape for next year so I can go harder.

Is this smart?? :biggthump

Dont know for sure, but the only way I am stopping snowboarding (carving in particular) is when I absolutely physically can not do it. Addicted? Yes. Fanatical? Maybe. Scared? Not at all. I will take the lesson, I learned and make sure that type of crash doesn't happen again. Ever.

See you on the hill. Party on Garth.

Been dealing with this myself lately...

Several years ago I broke my collarbone in a halfpipe (hung up on the edge, fell in, landed on my shoulder near the bottom), and was laid out for a month. That got me thinking. I went back out and rode the next season, but it's a struggle to air over the lip of the pipe now.

2-3 years ago I botched another halfpipe trick, landed on my back, didn't break anything but hurt everything... could breathe right for a couple hours, was walking with a cane for a couple days. That got me thinking some more. I'm just about done with halfpipes.

Last year I overshot a kicker, actually didn't get hurt too bad, but watching the knuckle go by I was thinking I was going home in an ambulance. Just totally scared the crap out of me. Ruined a nice board, too. :( And it got me thinking some more.

I stumbled on this video a few days back, and can't get it out of my mind...

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/1/7329df1d-3435-4297-9fe8-98b10062680a.htm

Just one miscalculation away from a life-changing injury. Or life-ending injury, even.

This year I'm chickening out of a lot of jumps that I think I really should be able to nail. My speed gets up to a certain point and I just put the brakes on subconsciously. That means I undershoot. This just makes my feet sting a little, but if I screw up and don't land on my feet I am going to get really hurt. So I've been riding the smaller jumps. It's depressing. It's fun, but it reminds me that I used to get better every year, but now I know where my limit is, and now my limits are shrinking. And big jumps are more fun, but big jumps are off-limits now.

I'm not completely done with jumps yet, but I know I will be eventually. At this rate I will give up jumps in 5-10 years (I'm 34 now), and just carve. I enjoy carving, but only half as much as jumping... And then I'll have some wipeouts carving, and that will be the beginning of the end.

Been dealing with this myself lately...

This year I'm chickening out of a lot of jumps that I think I really should be able to nail. My speed gets up to a certain point and I just put the brakes on subconsciously. That means I undershoot. This just makes my feet sting a little, but if I screw up and don't land on my feet I am going to get really hurt. So I've been riding the smaller jumps. It's depressing. It's fun, but it reminds me that I used to get better every year, but now I know where my limit is, and now my limits are shrinking. And big jumps are more fun, but big jumps are off-limits now.

I'm not completely done with jumps yet, but I know I will be eventually. At this rate I will give up jumps in 5-10 years (I'm 34 now), and just carve. I enjoy carving, but only half as much as jumping... And then I'll have some wipeouts carving, and that will be the beginning of the end.

Don't think like that....

Gradually you may give up jumping... But what happens when you get 3 feet of fresh and a nice natural kicker.... I know I wouldn't walk away... I'd BOOOOOOOST off it with all I got.....you only live once....

Hindsight has a habit of catching up with you later in life.. I don't wanna be 50-60 years old and think back wishing I tried this or tried that.... It'll prolly happen but I know when the conditions are right I'll learn new moves...It's what brings me back year after year... Jake Burton is on to something here... it's called progression!

but having said all that ...since I broke my tailbone... I haven't even attempted backflips.... (at a ripe old age of 32)

I still jump on the freerider But am much more picky which I'll hit and which I pass on.... in Australia we don't get a hellova lot of snow... and save the big stuff for when it's soft and fluffy... (read: forgiving!!!)

I think practicing natural hits and general screwing around only helps your technique as a rider cos' you never know when you could be carving/riding at speed and you suddenly find yourself airborne...

BTW I think that carvers that switch edges mid air look super cool!! Just something in the way it happens that really gets me...:cool: