Note to New Members ×

Busted Buckle and Loose Rivet.

EZE

Alright I must be carving too hard. I seem to build up a good amount of snow in the ankle and toe buckles on my front foot. This snow then freezes to ice making it very dificult to get out of my left boot at the end of the day even though I love them it's hard to press in the clutch on the ride home. The ankle buckle seems to take he most stress as it is the one which breaks most frequently. I just broke my third one on my two year old AF600s. Granted they are old, but is anyone else having this problem? I already ride at 70 degrees in front. The front ankle buckle seems to drag in the snow when I'm laid out heelside. What can I do?Also due to frequent use of that buckle the rivet has lost its tight fit. Does anyone know the technical term and size for the machine screw and spikey bolt which will replace the rivet once I drill it out? I need a couple in my tool box and I can't figure the correct size.

Thanks for any info.

Eric E.

Mt. Sunapee

What kind advise is that for a yankeecarver. I don't need no stinkin' shop. Anyway I got a brand new pair of Suzuka I just like knowing I have good back up stuff, like building your quiver (6 for me). I'm looking for answers brother Noah, not ways to support the local SKI shop. Hope you're well. Big race Sat. 28th at Sunapee, GS and SLA, come on up for an overnight and test the waters of my hot tub, and the nicely brewed beverages at Appleseed. Sunapee also has the best corduroy in the state.

Eric

Guest Randy S.

Buy a pair of Head or UPS boots. They have real buckles and they neither pop loose while riding, nor lock up. This was one of my major peeves with the Raichle boots. That, plus the fact that they tend not to stay in the same setting if you unbuckle them on the ride up, you end up re-doing the whole thing at the summit. My UPS boots have been great for the past 1.5 years, and I'll probably switch to Head next season.

I have the same problem with the buckles. I went to Surefoot to have it looked at and they said they would be happy to put new rivets in if I find some.

My boot angles are lower but I have ice in the buckle problem too; keeping a lighter in the car makes it easier to get my foot out.

Originally posted by EZE

of that buckle the rivet has lost its tight fit. Does anyone know the technical term and size for the machine screw and spikey bolt which will replace the rivet once I drill it out? I need a couple in my tool box and I can't figure the correct size.

Thanks for any info.

Eric E.

Mt. Sunapee

EZE that spikey thing is a t nut metric will probably be hard to find @ a hardware store but standards are pretty available. (Go to a real hardware store, not home depot or lowes.) What ever the standard size is that is slightly larger than the metric (looks to me to be 5mm) shoud work nicely. You could probably get away with a flat round t-nut just torque the screw in real well or put 5 minute epoxy on the threads to keep it tight. I'd use the epoxy and if you ever have to get it out heat the nut with a lighter or soldering iron to break the bond. As far as the ice try coating the clip with something like vaseline before you ride.

Mike

edit EZE I was just looking at my boots and tightening the other side the one with the allen head screws, why not just get ahold of a couple of these and toss a washer on the screw side. Of course you may need a longer 4mm screw but that can be had at most hardware stores.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Buy a pair of Head or UPS boots. They have real buckles and they neither pop loose while riding, nor lock up. This was one of my major peeves with the Raichle boots. That, plus the fact that they tend not to stay in the same setting if you unbuckle them on the ride up, you end up re-doing the whole thing at the summit. My UPS boots have been great for the past 1.5 years, and I'll probably switch to Head next season.

I have last years Ups mach rsv and I have broken the buckles 3 or 4 times. I got tired of taking them to the shop so I bought my own rivit gun. I blew teh first one 1 week after getting the boots. other than that I love the boots.

Erik