Note to New Members ×

Another, What board for me question from a cheap bas...

Guest artnshel

Guest artnshel

Hey, I want a different board and would like some wisdom.

I currently have a 160 Burton Fusion with Raichle hardboots. I learned to snowboard/carve long ago on a Burton Asym Air with Raichle Ski boots and plates. I got to be decent at carving after two seasons. I liked how the set up worked but it hurt my ankles, I had extreme cant angles but didn't know better at the time, pre-internet.

I moved to Telluride and got back into snowboarding recently so I decided to try soft boots for comfort even though I still wanted to carve turns on groomers. I got a 160 Burton Fusion and Solomon Malamute boots.

I was really surprised at how terrible soft boots were. They were uncomfortable and didn't work well, why do so many people use them?

Now that I solved the softboot problem and am riding Raichle SB413 hardboots the 160 Fusion seems lame. Great for short turns on shallow slopes but I can't seem to carve my turns on steeper Blue trails. I'm sure much of it is my skill level but I think a longer board and sidecut would help.

I am 165 lbs, have a size 29 foot and currently ride at 45/40 degrees.

I am attracted to race board to get the fullest carving buzz, I don't care for moguls or other distractions, I just want the G-forces from a good carved turn. And I want to be able to ride it all day even after the corduroy is gone. That and the high angles necessitated by my big feet on a narrow board make me think a freecarve board is a better choice. Can anyone recommend length and where to find a good board at a good price, I'd like to stay under $200 if possible

I'm not convinced buying one of the cheap Burton Factory or Ultra Primes that are around is the right path since the brand isn't well regarded here. I can also get an Oxygen Proton GS 168 for around $140 from ebay.

Any recommendations on where to find a decent board at a good price?

That board is a perfect step up in length for your progression, if you can take the higher angles. Other than that, just watch the classified section.(its like getting a fix after a while!) Most of the freecarve boards available have about the same flex as a all-mountain board, unlike sl/gs boards (IMHO)

Guest artnshel

Since someone recommends it, I'll go with the Proton instead of more brain damage.

Now I'm thinking about getting Snowpro step-ins for the board. They are about $120 less than the catek's when you factor in the heal cost. At this point I don't want the supper stiffness of the Catek althought I know they are stronger than the Snowpro. Is there any other reason I want to spend more for the Catek?

Guest artnshel

The Snowpro's were a great deal at $170 shipped including heals. I certainly considered TD's new or used but didn't like having to buy cant disks to experiment. Also when I was considering a Burton the three hole issue came up eliminating TD-1's and Bomber is out of 3 hole plates for the TD-2. I did support Bomber by buying my boots from them.

• 2 weeks later...

never was a fan and I had a couple and on top of just not liking the feel

one split open due to being a cheesy cap construction

burton stuff okay not great the speed 178 and 185 are both pretty wide 20 and 19.5 to be exact

both are solid rides

I just bought an Oxygen Proton GS 164 about a week and a half ago from Ebay. $178 plus shipping.

I've ridden the Proton for 3 days and really like it. Best carving board I ever had. The other carving specific board that I have is a Burton Alp, so not much competition.

The Proton worked great on groomed runs as expected. Large and small radius carves were easy. Skid turns to avoid crowds was also easy.

The Proton was also surprisingly fun in bumps, chopped up snow and 3-4" of fresh powder. The board is definately more versatile than I expected.

I highly recommend getting a Proton. Hopefully my Proton will be more durable than Bobdea's.

Guest artnshel

I have one day on my Proton 168 and like so far but don't have much to compare it to. It was described as 'damp' by the carvers almanac page and I'd certainly agree with that so far. I want to try more boards to see what I like.

By the way, step-ins rule.