Note to New Members ×

Does this sound like the right board for me?

Carp

Thoughts?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• Yes
    • No
    • Get a Donek instead
    • Don't get a new board

About me:

Weight=175-180 lbs.

Height=6’

Shoe size=8.5 (mondo 25-25.5)

Years riding=19 years (17 on plates of some sort)

Avg Vertical 400-800' with the seasonal trip out west.

Shortest board ridden (157cm)

Longest board ridden (210 cm)

Most fun board I've ridden carving only (195cm)

Current Set-ups:

Donek FCI-163 w/TD2 (intec)

Salomon FRS w/TD1 (intec)

What I'm thinking of purchasing:

Coiler Pure Race GS-184 (adding 3-4 CM to give the tail some kick for switch riding) super board construction and micrograin graphite base.

18.5 cm waist

13.2 m side cut radius

I'm thinking the narrower waist because of the smaller hills I ride.

I was going to leave that magic formula to bruce. My donek I believe is a 7.1 now. I was thinking with the added length it would be less stiff than the 7.1, especially after knowing that at 195 you're on 7.1 stiffness,but I'm by no means knowledgable on this, plus I'm not sure I can compare the two companies stiffness ratings (no pun intended). :rolleyes:

not sure what the waist width has to do with narrower hills? Seems like the sidecut should be your main consideration there. seems like that might be a big board for such small hills, but...if you go elsewhere youll be glad

honestly, Id say talk to bruce! Dude knows his ****! Pretty sure that if you tell him what you want to do, he'll set you up with something that you will be stoked on!

That's my crazy uncle William. He is "bulky" but actually carves pretty well. He doesn't get as low as us skinny guys but does alright.

I talked to Bruce and I'm going with a PRGS-181 with a 18.5-19 waste. 13.2 sidecut and adding 3-4 cm free ride tail for carving switch. He told me about a possible topsheet he's getting and it sounded pretty cool. It's amazing talking to him and hearing everything he goes through to make the board and doing little things at certain steps for perfection.

Doubtful I'll get to ride it yet this year, but the order has been placed. I hope the shipping, tax, duty, isn't too bad to get it in the states.

I'm curious for those of you that said it wasn't a good board for me what is your reasoning? What would you change? For those that said get a Donek, what do you think is the main differences in the boards that I should go with Donek?

I've ordered:

Coiler PRGS-181

added 3-4cm for kicked tail (for switch carving)

13.2 SCR

19 cm waiste

super board construction

micrograin graphite base

and the extra fiber glass for torsional stiffness.

Thanks--I really do appreciate the feed back from everyone and your votes.