Note to New Members ×

Riding and Nutrition

Bobby Buggs

We'll have to ride in Duluth. That's where my wife lives, and I board Spirit while I'm there. I'll even make you breakfast.

Yes I cut and pasted. I can barely remember to do my check list of equipment before I go out the door. The recipe is taken mostly from my climbing buddy, and then adjusted to include the cranberries for flavor and nuts to give it some texture, not to mention the omega 3 & 6. Something about eating fish for breakfast, doesn't do it for me.

I won't be back in Duluth for the rest of the Ski Season, and my wife and I are doing Whistler and maybe somewhere else between now and April. Aside from that we have a 12' base in the Pacific Northwest.

Checked on your disease, Adrenal Leuko Dystrophy, and that sucks. Sorry to hear about anyone having health problems.

Hope that you're managing it well. I might suggest that you show the recipe to your nutionist, and make modifications to fit your needs, and try it with little or no nuts according to what he would say. It really does taste wonderful, even if it looks gross, and the rest of the stuff in there is pretty healthy for the average person.

Perspective often dictates parameters, and in this particular case, I agree and would say we both could be right. Best of luck, and don't just eat anything.

No biggy. Been living with it for, what 10 years now or somethin like that. I'll live with it for another 60 or 70 or so if everything goes right. The jokes about a 130 lb kid saying "no thanks, I'm on a diet" don't really phase me anymore.

As for the breakfast... I'm not a fan of oatmeal type things. I'd rather go for a hearty bowl of cereal. And maybe some fruit and such. Bacon and eggs sure tastes good, but is a seldom treat. Having something that is easy and ready to go sure makes mornings go by easier though.

I try to stay on a super-low budget, maintain energy through the day, and avoid a real lunch stop. I have coffee, oatmeal, and yogurt before I go, and eat purchased-in-bulk nature's valley or quaker bars every few hours. My sole stop, if I don't have any caffienated food, is to drink some coffee from a thermos- a good one will keep the stuff hot for 6 or 8 hours. Afterwards, I try to get at least 20g of protein or so.

Here's the mix

12 cups old fashioned oats

3 cups dried cranberries

2 cups chopped dates

2 cups chopped walnuts

2 cups slivered almonds

1 1/2 tablespoons ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons nutmeg

1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons ground clove

1 1/2 tablespoons cardemon

add about 2 rounded teaspoons of sugar in the raw to taste per serving

Put 1 heaping cup in a bowl, stir in just enough water to make it wet and just a little extra (about 3/4 cup), there should be little pockets of liquid on top of mixture, but not covering the whole top. If you put too much water in, it gets too gooey. Put in Micro for 2 minutes 22 seconds and just a little skim milk as needed.

Way better and more interesting than just oatmeal, and is good for almost a month of breakfasts. Best breakfast I've ever had both in taste and in health.

Good reasonably well rounded healthy blend.. It gets my vote!:biggthump :biggthump

A little light on protein maybe for a long day but if you are snacking on similiarly healthy snacks throughout it should do nicely. You can always eat an egg or two with it:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

I presumed the noted ingredient "*" should be cinnamon as ginger appeard twice.

I used crystallized (chopped) ginger . . .

Good source for spices www.penzeys.com

Great mix! My wife likes to eat this (cold) with vanilla yogurt.

Thanks,

Pat

Here's the mix

12 cups old fashioned oats

3 cups dried cranberries

2 cups chopped dates

2 cups chopped walnuts

2 cups slivered almonds

1 1/2 tablespoons ginger *

1 1/2 tablespoons nutmeg

1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons ground clove