Note to New Members ×

Shin bang ended my day early...

Bullwings

Will a booster strap really help this?

Some of hte other threads have suggested tightening the top straps more -- i can't do this. I'm using Sazukas and i'm on the very last notch of the ratchet on both of my top straps (i have girly legs). They feel pretty tight, but I can't be sure. Should i just get a booster strap? What about that foam stuff?

On a side note, not related to the shin bang -- I folded the nose on my ATV today for the first time ever. At least I think I did - didn't think i could at 150#. I really loaded the nose on a toe side carve and got pretty low (could have touched my elbow to the snow - lowest i've gotten yet), and next thing I know I'm doing a backflip of some sort.

Anyway, booster strap or foam insert stuff or both?

You dog!! getting out for the freshies!! I would think that you should be able to relocate the strap to a different position on the cuff. This was talked about in another thread just the other day, I can't remember which one but I do remember it was Fin giving the ok to do this. YOu will have to drill a few additional holes to accomodate the new placement.

If you were trying to carve hard on the fresh stuff I can understand why you did a backflip. Fresh powder and carving do not mix, the nose bites too hard into the soft stuff and you go flyin! Speaking from experience here. If I ride the soft stuff on my carver I always try to remember not to be so aggresive when rolling into another turn.

Glad to hear that you were able to get out for the fresh stuff.

Found the thread for the buckle relocation

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13098&highlight=drill

yeah, the fresh stuff was nice even if it was only around 5 inches. it was a little bit more on some runs, since resorts out here never miss an opportunity to blow snow -- even when it's currently snowing...

as for the drilling holes, can i do that with the Sazukas too? it was about the track 325's, which are the new models that have actual buckles and not just that plastic ratchet stuff. thanks for the info though, i'll have to check out my boots and see if there are some pre-made holes.

in the future i'll remember to be more careful with the freshies - can't exactly call it pow...

oh yea, and i decided to just pick up one booster strap and give it a try. i figure it can't hurt. if i don't like it, then i'll just not use it.

Bullwings, this is more of a question for others than an answer for you. Anyone know if a thermoflex liner, in all it's marshmallow puff glory when molding, would take up more room than the standard liner? Than might help you.

Also, it's Suzuka, not Sazuka.

I highly suggest you get them. I had the same problem 2 seasons ago with really nasty shin bang. Last season I bought a pair of the black & red Suzuka's seeing if new boots would help, and the first thing I did was get them molded. WOW what a difference. Maybe it was the boots (I was riding with AF700's before) or the liners, but I know one thing for sure, I'll never go without getting my boots fitted again!

with other boots I'd say drill them smaller but the shell of the AF/indy will collide if you have to close them up too much

a booster strap does help and if you do go with a tflex don't tighten the boot any more than you have to while molding them

How do you get shin bang? I never see you on the hill :lol: :lol:

By that logic, none of you snowboard, as I haven't seen any of you on the hill.

This isn't flaming, I'm just yankin your chain.

As for the shin bang, I would think to look at WHY you're getting shin bang. I would think that adjusting your boots (if possible) would help get rid of it. Also, maybe something as simple as a soccer (or Football as some of you might so foolishly call it...) shin guard might alleviate some of the pain.

i've had at least 1 case of it. it definitely bothered me- physically and mentally. I couldn't even go 70% some of the time and def. not 100% for the last 1/3 of last season. It was really bad for a few weeks then got a bit better. I found it took at least a month of no riding to fully heal. I had x-rays to confirm it wasn't some type of stress (or other) fracture. From my experience, it is very important that you address and reduce swelling asap if you want to enjoy the rest of the season (unless you don't mind riding in a lot of pain).

"eliminator" tongue has helped me, especially as my legs and calves, esp., are skinny. The tongue takes up room. I think an alternative to this is injectable foam.

in response to a previous post, i firmly believe it can happen to anyone, though i think rider with small calves (like myself) are more susceptible, though that's debatable. there's all that force you are creating and applying, all that pressure into the boot tongue, then you just catch an edge or fold the nose, and the momentum will continue to take your body over the top of the boot (i think it's teh cuff, specifically) where your the boots ends yet b/c it's a tight fit and a hardboot, the part of your leg inside the boot will move very little or not at all. yeah, that's gonna hurt, esp. b/c the skin is so thin on the shin.

I used to get shin bang to the point I would have to take a few weeks off to recover. It is a cumlitive injury, gets worse if you try to ride through it. I have stick boy ankles and as a result I stuffed a pair of gel ankle brace pads in the front of my boots. worked wonders! Someone mentioned an after market product earlier that look pretty good. In my experience the power strap alone did not solve the problem.

Sorry Barry,

Im not sure what brand of ankle brace it was. It had two grey vinyl pads inside it with thick blue gel pads sewn into them. these went on the outside of the ankle and the whole rig velcroe'd onto your ankle. I removed the pads from the bace and then slid them down the front of my boots before tightnening them.

the shin bang is on my rear foot actually. also, my skin itself isn't rubbing up against anything. i got some of those thin surefoot socks that come up to my knees. I got the boots fitted at surefoot too.

Anyway, i ordered some of those eliminator things and one booster strap. I'm hoping all of that helps. This season has been awesome so far for my first time on HBs. I'm really starting to pick things up, and more of the stuff in the tech articles here and at carver's almanac is starting to make sense. I would hate to have to cut my time due to shin bang. I'm already cutting a bit of my time since I'm having stiff lower back problems due to an injury from last season.

does ice really help? if so, i'll ice up my shin first thing when i get home from work.

oh yeah and i checked my Suzukas :biggthump and there are no pre-made notches or holes for drilling to re-adjust the placement of the straps. if there are, then i'm blind. post a pic please if that's the case. it'll be a last resort thing if the booster strap and eliminator things don't work

Guest sandarapark

i am currently using booster straps on my leemans. i boarded for 2 consecutive days (6 hrs a day) and did not have any shin bang...what's weird though is that the toungue of the boot has some signs of wear and tear on it. i think it's been rubbing itself agaist the bootstraps...is that normal thoug?

I am not using this product, nor have I ever tried it, but it might help.

http://www.manoove.com/shintronic_info.pp

485rsyr.jpg

Ray

Does anyone know where I can buy them. They've stopped selling them on their website and haven't listed any distributor. I've been trying to buy these for months now. I would love to buy a medium and small one for my girlfriend.