Note to New Members ×

? re Donek freeride

FTA2R

Mine has incredible edge hold. I have never been on the FC, so I cannot compare. I would say that it is better than any other freeride board I have been on for carving. My new Never Summer has come fairly close, though. You are welcome to try it out sometime, but I am sure that you would not like how wide mine is.

does Donek's freeride model have the same awesome edge hold as the FC?

and is the Donek freeride stiffer than other freerides of the same size?

those who've ridden feel free to chime in.

thx,

The Donek Freerides (Incline/Wide/Sasq) all have very good hold, because of the difference in edge length and stiffness, it won't quite have as much as a FC. Still they have more edgehold than nearly any other brand I've tried (maybe the Madd TT158).

The freerides are incredible stiff for a freeride board, my Donek Incline 155 was easily stiffer than the Burton UP162 and my MaddTT158.

to allot of the BX type decks out there

to give you a idea of how they ride, I'd rather ride a tanker 177 over the incline or wide in tight areas tankers feel smaller than they are and inclines feel ****ing huge

inclines rip at high speeds though, one of the best softboot rides that I've been on

I actually completed my first real hardboot carve on my Incline. I've been a softie rider for the past few years, and I love my incline. It definitely provided a stable ride and was visibly stiffer than comparable makes.

I started riding hard boots and trying out FC boards at ECES last March, and I decided to go in that direction now. I bought the boots and went out for a day at the end of last season on my Incline and carved on that better than I could get a FC board to carve...I would say I can thank my familiarity with it for the most part though. I just got a pilot, and I'm itching to try that out. But I plan on keeping the incline (and softie set up too) for powder days!

Angie

does Donek's freeride model have the same awesome edge hold as the FC?

and is the Donek freeride stiffer than other freerides of the same size?

those who've ridden feel free to chime in.

thx,

The incline has virually the same construction as the race/fc series. The only difference there is the ash stringers through the inserts on the race/fc boards. Mathematically the engineering is the same, so they will respond in a similar way. Basically, the freeride series is a carve board for soft boots. I ride Catek FR bindings on my 160, but have ridden Bombers on it too.

The Donek FR series was my introduction to carving.

I've ridden Incline 160, Incline 168 and Wide 161 in both plates and softies. The Wide didn't work so well with plates for me (25 MP hard boots) but works great with softies (26 MP softies, Salomon Malamute). The Inclines worked well for me with either get-up.

Edge hold is definitely far superior to the Burtons, K2s, Rides, I've tried. Similar to say a Salomon FRS which was their BX board from around 1999-2000. Better than other stiff Salomon models for sure.

I've never tried a Prior MFR or Madd FR/FS board so I can't compare, and I still haven't ridden my Tanker.

I like the surface area on my Wide 161 for deep but not light snow. That's when it sees the most action. I can easily leave trenches on it - but due to poor technique my heelsides get wavy at higher speeds. (Need to work on a few hints I just got next time out!) I might try a Wide 165 next time I need a softie deck. I like that you can go wider with the Donek FRs and not lose power to the edge.