Note to New Members ×

New board, should I wax it?

Guest Mera'din

Guest Mera'din

So I just got my new board. It is a burton baron with the WFO sintered base. Supposed to be pretty fast and gone through a good waxing process at the factory. In the past I have always hotwaxed/scraped my boards about 5 times before riding. I really would like to see what this board is like out of the box.

Can I ride it a day and then do my hotwax/scrape procedure without any ill effects? It seems like the boards that I have done the hotscrape procedure to take wax a little better and stay slicker longer. On board ran dry on me after a day of boarding and I had to literally walk down to the gondola.

Now that the thread originating question has been answered, I will not take it off topic a bit. :)

Not Wax -- anyone use it as an overlay? I'm planning on hotwaxing in the CH wax of the day and then buffing in (e.g. corking w/o spending money on a bespoke corking tool) a layer of Not Wax if it's in the least bit a wet/humid day.

Heading to Snowshoe Moutain Jan1...looking at the temp there now leads me to believe it's going to be rather wet... :mad: :(

ZARDOZ, strips you base with some waxes, acts as a solvent I think

if I use it my base gets bare and dry fast

otherwise ruins wax job that would of lasted a day or two on the hill

zardoz is no faster than a proper soft wax with silicone that can be rubbed on, holmenkol makes a fine one that needs to be mixed with the yellow swix and thats far better and lasts longer and does not dry out your base

Wax?... Sure! Wax is great and absolutely necessary. But what about the edges? Are we to assume that Burton has recently started sending out boards with the minimum 1/1 bevel and a detuned nose and tail? Of course not! Fully expect that board to be edge high (or 0/0 at best) and have a buffed on coat of crap wax that will last a run or two. No offense to Burton... but I only know of one builder who even comes close to sending out a board that's ready to ride out of the box. Take any new board you get to a real pro to get the base structured and edge bevels set... and at the bare minimum do three hot waxes before you ride if there is not a hot box available at your tune shop.

This is manditory just like your car needs motor oil to operate properly

Now that the thread originating question has been answered, I will not take it off topic a bit. :)

Not Wax -- anyone use it as an overlay? I'm planning on hotwaxing in the CH wax of the day and then buffing in (e.g. corking w/o spending money on a bespoke corking tool) a layer of Not Wax if it's in the least bit a wet/humid day.

Heading to Snowshoe Moutain Jan1...looking at the temp there now leads me to believe it's going to be rather wet... :mad: :(

If the snow is wet then use a graphite wax. Hopefully your base is black.