Note to New Members ×

Boot Fit Issues

Guest Mera'din

Guest Mera'din

So I got a chance to finally get out on my new burton Ions. I am split on them. My right foot is super comfy, best boot ever! My left foot however, ouch. When I get back on my heel edge or stand straight while in the lift line my big toe gets squished forward. After a while it is really unbearable. Any thoughts? I have my feet measured and my left foot is a 1/4 size longer than my right. Wxplains the difference but there is ample room in there. I can fit two fingers between my heel and the shell with the liner out, tight but they fit. More like 1.5 though. I have walked about 5 miles or so in them to try and loosen them up a bit. Any advice?

Guest sandarapark

have a similar problem too (first time riding on harboots)...my feet hurt whenever i'm not riding the board like when i'm on the chair lift..however the boots are very comfortable when i start riding the board (boots are a pair of leemans with moldable liners)...anybody know what the problem is?

another thing...are the ankles suppose to move while riding?

It's possible that your feet are getting levered forward in the boot.

Saturday was my first day out this year and it was super crowded.

Because of the conditions, I wanted as much flexibility as possible, so I had my boots in walk mode, and I don't think I had buckles 2 and 3 as tight as I should have. I think that whenever I straightened the legs, my foot would get levered foward to jam the toes. They were very tender at the end of the day. I should have used the powder setting (on SB225's, lever down with knob rotated). This setting gives forward flex but a stop on the rearward flex.

have a similar problem too (first time riding on harboots)...my feet hurt whenever i'm not riding the board like when i'm on the chair lift..however the boots are very comfortable when i start riding the board (boots are a pair of leemans with moldable liners)...anybody know what the problem is?

another thing...are the ankles suppose to move while riding?

i got the same problem. with the same boot too(i'm on my 3rd season on them with custom footbed) but i had to loosen all the buckles after every run, kinda pain in the @ss. and it's never the same, sometimes it would be too tight = Pain ++, or too loose and = heel lifts :(

i have the BTS installed it helped a little. but still they feel great if im riding..as soon as i stop for more then 2 mins = pain :freak3:

well just picked up a pair of UPZ from Ray. hopefully it will slove a few of those problems.

give it some time and a few more days out.

this is my first season on hardboots and my boots were pretty painful the first day and gave me shin bang. they also hurt when i wasn't actually riding the board. they were killer while sitting on the lift. since then i've been out a few times and they're starting to pack out a bit. they're feeling better and don't hurt anywhere near as much as when i first wore them.

i still have some shin bang. i'm thinking of getting a booster strap. my legs are pretty puny. i'm on the last notch of the top strap on my sazukas.

also, if neither of you have, make sure you get those boots professionally fitted. the walking 5 miles in your boots... that's nuts. i don't even walk 5 miles in my regular shoes. maybe some more experienced people can chime in, or just read up on the upz boot thread -- pretty much talks about the same thing.

so the heels aren't suppose to move at all while ridding?

(Contributing to the thread creep, sorry)

Nope, heels should not move while riding. Having said that, I get heel lift in my boots while walking around but never when I ride. Must be my girly ankles ;-)

(Actually, I think Michelle and D-Sub have pointed out that I have Martian feet and nothing I say about boot fitting applies to anyone else even though it totally works for me!!!!!)

burton ions, you know if they are from the last couple hears they are moldable liners right?

also it might be a good idea to see if you have one foot bigger than the other...

perhaps taking the liner out and checking to see if there's something in there or it's bunched up somewhere, it can happen...

still waitin for michelle to pick up on the "big liner in a small shell" thing. You're in for it!

Believe it or not, that's not an original idea of mine. The first person to suggest it was my bootfitter/pedorthist. He told me if I started getting unwanted movement I could go with a bigger liner to get some more material in there (or go foam-injected). And I'm pretty sure I remember one of the Tornoto guys (might have even been YYZCanuck?) suggest it for low-volume feet.

But yeah, I have Martian feet. Everyone else who doesn't have Martian feet - please ignore me!

so the heels aren't suppose to move at all while ridding?

As said earlier, heels shouldn't move. You can get foam inserts to help snug up the ankle area (I have them in my boots) -- either L-shaped or C-shaped depending on the severity of the problem. Most shops have them and Tognar sells them online.

Or you can get a foam injected liner that takes away almost all boot fit issues. At least it does for me. Break in after injection was one day and my feet have been happy ever since. :biggthump

CarveDog, you're at Sun Valley, right? That might be the closest place to me to get foam injected liners!

CarveDog, you're at Sun Valley, right? That might be the closest place to me to get foam injected liners!

Mike, doesnt Skjerswanski's (I know, that's not what they are really called) have injected soles? I know they had them a couple years back, the guy said it cost around 300 and recommended against, though he was a soft booter.

Mike, doesnt Skjerswanski's (I know, that's not what they are really called) have injected soles? I know they had them a couple years back, the guy said it cost around 300 and recommended against, though he was a soft booter.

Skjersaa's? Not when I asked them... but I can ask again.

Seems like mine were $250 and some of the best money I have ever spent.

I have a good formed footbed in there too and it works. They improved the performance of the boot in many ways.Best results on groomed but I also like them when I am riding the Frontier and cruising chopped powder at WFO speeds. They are harder to get in and out of the boot with Fires anyway. When I adjust them up after the first run slightly loose so back of calves and arches don't cramp, I crank down and no heel lift. Ever.

BTW I am not a paid endorser, I just like the exact fit and lack of foot pain.

If they only made one of those for my back and quads.

Thanks for the laugh D-sub.

Mike T - come on over and I will try to get the bro hook for you. Then we can go rip the tasty cord. :biggthump

So I got a chance to finally get out on my new burton Ions. I am split on them. My right foot is super comfy' date=' best boot ever! My left foot however, ouch. When I get back on my heel edge or stand straight while in the lift line my big toe gets squished forward. After a while it is really unbearable. Any thoughts? I have my feet measured and my left foot is a 1/4 size longer than my right. Wxplains the difference but there is ample room in there. I can fit two fingers between my heel and the shell with the liner out, tight but they fit. More like 1.5 though. I have walked about 5 miles or so in them to try and loosen them up a bit. Any advice?[/quote']

I had similar experiences with the Ions. A size 10 seemed too tight, a 10.5 seemed too roomy. Sometimes when a boot gets flexed forward the area before the toe box gets squashed down, which effectively increases the width of the boot. When that happens the foot can slide foward in the boot, causing the toes to move forward. Eliminating that can be tough. What has worked for me is to tighten the upper laces more, while trying not to tighten the lower laces too much. Like that, the ankle strap of the binding has a better hold of the boot because there's less compression of the boot material, and more input to the binding. That in turn reduces the forward lean necessary, and therefore less flexing (widening) of the lower part of the boot, keeping the feet in place.

If nothing else works, you could remove some of the material from the outside of the liner in the area where there's a pressure point?