Note to New Members ×

Mammoth?

thomas

Unless Mammoth gets a major dump it might not be worth going up there. They still are only reporting 7 chairs in operation and about 8 runs to ride.

With the cold temps expected this week when this storm moves out the local areas will be able to make a ton of snow, should open up more runs. Also, there is another storm forcasted for next weekend to help add to the base.

Save your $$$ until Mammoth has more open

I wonder if June is still planning on opening up this weekend. :lurk:

Well I'll answer my own question:

"Well, Mother Nature is not going to allow us to make our scheduled opening day, we need to have a bit more snow. We are expecting more snow over the weekend and we will open as soon as conditions permit."

From their homepage. Doh! :(

Neil, will you be splitting your time between Mammoth and Southern Cal or will you be up at Mammoth permanently through the winter months. I am hoping to ride with you again, other than that day at Summit when we met by just a fluke. As soon as Mammoth gets sufficient snow I will be flying up there a couple times a month, that is, if the weather is good and the winds aren't rippin at Mammoth airport.

Frank: Agreed. They still only report a 12-18" base. I'm used to seeing at least 4 feet before the good equipment comes out.

Aaron: I might do a couple days at Summit, maybe my bday ;), but I will probably be up at Mammoth more often. Let me know when you're heading up!

The 20-30 inch storm that passed through the last two days was apparently not enough. I am quite glad that I was on a rockboard today. I nailed a rock while carving along right in the middle of one of the main groomed runs off of chair 4. This left a nice big gash right along the edge. :angryfire

Even though they report a 3-4 foot base, I am going to wait for at least one to two more big storms before riding my good boards.

I really want June to open up soon too. The crowds were out of control today. Lots of tourons everywhere.

Gary,

Yeah man, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The snow quality itself is quite good, you just have to really keep an eye out for rocks and crap.

Mid next week should be better as far as crowds. I'll still be around then, give me a ring or send me an email.

Neil

Neil please sacrifice one of your Madds to the Mammoth snow gods. That new high output pellet burning stove should do the trick.

The national weather service has little to nothing comming in this next week. Hope they're wrong. We should try and make some turns with Cristan since we'll all be up. Keep me posted on the conditions.

GC

Hey Cristan,

Just talked with Gary earlier this evening and we will probably be meeting up on Wednesday or Thursday. Let us know if you're going to be around and what part of the mountain you plan on riding! :)

Tim, Frank, Ray, anyone else: Let us know if you're up here this week.