Note to New Members ×

Boards Anonymous: Post your quiver

Dave*

Here all I got.

resiezesnowboards.jpg

The 171 Kelly is a wall ornament. The Ouija was just tuned last year so I plan on taking it out this year. The balance56 is my freeride board. I really dont ride the FP57. Use the FP67 as my big mountain (VT) board. The Speed 160 as my all around board and the Fish 160 as my pow board..

plus I have a PJ7.3 coming to me thanks Dr. D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey D-sub, yes, they are all of the 200's that have been produced and the extra 4 are wall hangers (3 are broken and 1 is a very rare Crown model that has never been ridden or had bindings mounted on it). All that are pictured can still be ridden and all ride a little different.

Hey D-sub, yes, they are all of the 200's that have been produced and the extra 4 are wall hangers (3 are broken and 1 is a very rare Crown model that has never been ridden or had bindings mounted on it). All that are pictured can still be ridden and all ride a little different.

that doesn't really explain it for me, but the only one your reasons matter to is you.

but...why own a board that isnt gonna get ridden? It'll still be "rare"...

I guess later on down the line you can start a tanker museum :) heck you already have enough to do so right now. Just pair up with RJ and the Gear Vacuum!

Bryan, you are correct, and here are more details...the 02-03 Crown has stainless steel edges, Titanium inserts, and 6000 grade base, and the core has 30% kevlar, 70% carbon fiber. This makes it extremely light and snappy as well as only 33 of these boards were sold globally...and none of the 200's were sent to the US or Canada. It was only available in 172 and 200 and only 33 of each were sold. The 03-04 crown has many of the advances of the 02-03 but with a 4000 grade base, regular edges and inserts and all models for that year were crowns.

yeah...your site is cool. I guess you get a pass.

every try a new board though? I mean...there has definitely been progression!

Unfortunately, I haven't. I really would like to try a freecarve board from any of the "big 3", but I never had the occasion. Maybe I should get together with the other Montréal riders, I know some ride good recent boards. And if I do get the occasion, I doubt I would be willing to spend the money on it.

Unfortunately, my snowboarding budget is limited. What I spent in several years, some spend on one board.

Just some quick figures (all prices in Canadian dollars):

Burton Performance bindings, bought new (on sale) in 1997: 200$+tx=230$ (reg: 250$)

Nitro GTX, bought new (old stock) in 2001: 290$ (taxes included)

Catek Olympic, bought used on eBay in 2005: 200$ (including shipping and exchange rate)

Burton Alp, bought used this year through Bomber: ~150$ (100$US + shipping + exchange rate)

I am not counting the Burton Air since I got it in high school in 1993 and I am not counting the boots either.

Total amount: 870$ for 2 boards and 2 set of bindings over a period of 10 years (maybe 800$US to get the idea)

Price of a Prior (direct): 800$+tx+shipping=880$

Price of a Donek (direct): 630$US+shipping+duty+exchange rate=800+$?

Price of a Coiler (direct): 680$+tx+shipping=760$

At this price, no bindings

Catek (direct): 289$+shipping+duty+exchange rate=360+$?

Bomber (yyzcanuck): 339$+tx+shipping=380$

F2 (yyzcanuck): 289$+tx+shipping=330$

Snow Pro (direct): 229$+tx+shipping=260$

So it is between 1020$ and 1260$ to not hold the sport back (:p) and get a good modern setup. And this is for one board. Now I have one freecarve and one all mountain and I have fun for the 5-10 days I ride each year. Would it be worth to pay more than 1000$ for something I ride 5-10 days a year? Maybe for some, but not for me (yet). And I would probably be single if I did that...:(

My Nitro will probably be done in a couple of years anyway since the edges are getting thinner because of the machine tune ups I have done once a year. I know, it's heresy, but that's the way it is for now. Maybe a demo Prior or a Pilot will be the way to go if I want a new board and if I want to support the industry, but I have my doubts on the Pilot since it is aimed at beginner carvers (and I consider myself intermediate).

I didnt say you had to buy a brand new board. I bought a demo WCR this summer for $350 US, including shipping, direct from Prior.

also got a HELL of a deal on the custom AWD i got last year

I hear you though...but with the money you spent, and recently, you could have more current gear

maybe next pass!

I didnt say you had to buy a brand new board. I bought a demo WCR this summer for $350 US, including shipping, direct from Prior.

also got a HELL of a deal on the custom AWD i got last year

I hear you though...but with the money you spent, and recently, you could have more current gear

maybe next pass!

Recently, I spent 350$CDN. I admit I could have gotten a used Prior or Donek for that amount. But it would have been ridden with 10 year old Burton Performance bindings. I serioulsy thought about a used Donek Axis or Prior 4x4 as an all-mountain board, but I didn't even know if I would like the 21,5 cm waist (and I still don't know as I have not ridden the Alp yet). So I chose modern bindings last year and I don't regret it one single bit. And if I get another board to replace my freecarve board in a year or two, I will have some good bindings to put on it. I though a lot also before getting the Alp. At that price it was worth it, even if it is not the best all mountain board around. It should be better than my freecarve board when the conditions are choppy/loose snow. Last time I rode the Nitro in loose snow, it was horrible, even with Burton bindings. And I expect to ride my freecarve board more than my all mountain board (from my past experiences).

And the Nitro is not that bad. People that rode it (or other model/year) said it's an ok freecarve board. Lively, not very damp, nose stiff enough not to fold it, radius a little short though. Yeah, it's not current, but I have fun and I have not yet reached the limit of the board IMO.

And I ride it with the knees seperated...:flamethro

Derf,

That Burton Air 6.1 is the exact board I started on. Man I loved that thing. I think I got mine in 92, was that the first year for that one?

This board is the 1993 model, first year of the 3D bindings. It was a good board, but it's a noodle now. I rode it once two years ago and I regretted it (the too soft boots didn't help). I tried it last year with plates, just out of curiosity, not worth it. I keep it as a loaner board/rock board.

This board is the 1993 model, first year of the 3D bindings. It was a good board, but it's a noodle now. I rode it once two years ago and I regretted it (the too soft boots didn't help). I tried it last year with plates, just out of curiosity, not worth it. I keep it as a loaner board/rock board.

my friend had that exact same board...except it was the NASA board. Our shop had so many of those.

• 3 weeks later...

Thus, I'm reviving this tread. Stick them up boys (and girls)!

Here's mine:

185?Salomon X-Free 08

163 Head C140

156 Nidecker Extreme

163 LTD All-around

168 Hooger Booger Grinder

168 Volkl Renntiger

170 Generics IQ

174 Prior 4WD

169 Dynastar 3800

178 Dynastar 4807

There's 2 more pairs of skis and few more boards that I never used, so I do not count them (space limit, too ;) )

Well, little Nidecker and Limited also don't see the snow too often. Hooger is mostly loaner/learner this yer, due to aqizition of 4WD. Before it served as my AM board.

It seams that I still have space for a longer SL board and long GS board, as well as medium carving skis and powder skis :) Jeeez, I must have the same disease as Dave...

Boris

post-1678-141842223642_thumb.jpg

I dont get the whole MULTIPLE board thing...........i can see having a few boards that you ride (REGULARLY).......i had 3 race boards(but after ordering a coiler the other 2 just sat there so i sold them)..i also have 2 soft setups--(one rock board and my ride timeless)....I especailly get a kick outta the guys that have 20+ boards and cant ride(several of those posers around here....lol)....IMO having all those extra boards that you dont use is pointless and a waste of money!!! :flamethro

Guest Tim Tuthill

Sheffy: Your probably right. However, if you ride Burners, you are going to lose them. There are no more. I gotta bunch! At 64 years old, there will come a time when they go to the kids. so far so good. I figure 10 more years at least?? Then, who knows???