Note to New Members ×

What bindings for ECing?

Diggin in MN

I want the TD2 standards, but I don't want to deal with the toe bail overhang. The SI's would be sweet...but aparently, lateral flex becomes a problem with these. What do I do here? I dont want to use my old burton race plates. I know I can updrage to the Catek toe bails on the standards, but frankly, I don't want to modify the TD2 and void the warranty. I emailed bomber on this, and wasn't given a clear answer. HELP!

If you aren't going to be putting the binding through a lot of stress, you could look at some burton race physics. The race physics setup (NOT carrier physics) has very low boot overhang. Are your boots burton as well? Will they accept the race physics heels? I used a set of them for three runs or so and they were very stiff side to side (lateral). They look like this.........click link ----> it's the top picture with the blue plastic.http://derf.dyndns.org/~derf/gallery/snowboard_Burton_1999/Plate_bindingslater,

props to derf once again,

Dave R.

no real rule... some like SI, some like stiff stuff like PH1 etc...

On a wider board, we prefer having lateral ability to be able to recenter / rebalance yourself longitudinaly.. thus the not too stiff binding set up ( jacques boots and TD2 setup allow him almost 10° in each side vertically.. lever you can open with one baby finger ( aka its not "snapping" when closing).

As said previously there is no rule for EC: we have come up with recommendations based on our experimentations, but it does not mean you cannot do it with other setups ( aka narrow boards and stiff bindings with steep angles) its just more difficult and less comfy that way. :)

Nils

The lateral stiffness is not a big deal, i ride SI's with a bts boot and its flexy enough.

Like James I haven't found lateral stiffness to be a big deal either. My bindings are the Burton Race Physics step ins, with the toe-hooks in front, with the Burton Fire or Wind boot. I think that's a fairly stiff interface but it seems work OK for EC. As Nils said a person can probably get used to just about any setup. Rob

Hey Guys

Ultimately your boot binding interface needs to let your body move the way you want it to, without restricting the movements your technique requires.

IMHO I don’t think you can say standard or step in binding are too stiff or soft for a given rider until the boots and bindings are both taken into account, this would apply to flex in any direction.

I spent some time experimenting with a step in and a standard set up a while back:

-I rode Raichle 325’s (set to allow the lateral cant to move freely) and Burton Physics step-ins with the toe hooks and the softest pads.

-I also rode Northwave Point 900’s and TD2 standards.

At first I much preferred the 325’s and Burton Step ins, they allowed me to move freely. The Northwaves and TD2’s, both very stiff, gave me a handcuffed feeling that restricted my movements.

After a lot of tweaking, adjusting and readjusting the Northwave TD2 standard set up, to get the movement I was after, I preferred the much stiffer Northwave boots and TD2’s.

My preference changed for a few reasons...

I didn’t have any problems with the 325’s and Burton's when the snow as groomed and smooth. I noticed a HUGE difference, however, when the snow was bumpy like harbour chop. I felt that the very stiff shelled boot and spring system, combined with the TD2 standards suspension system, made it possible to carve harder, cleaner lines faster and with less effort.

The very stiff shell is the foundation of the spring system that makes it possible to control the amount of forward flex. But, doing this creates a boot with very little lateral movement. Using a softer shelled boot, to allow lateral movement, will eventually cause the shell buckled rather than support the spring system when under high loads, like the bumpy terrain.

BUT, I have to say that all the time it took to modify the TD2’s and adjust the springs, etc. is a real pain in the a$$!

With all things there is a compromise ...

The standard TD2’s allow you to set the toe lever to have the desired lateral movement even though the stiff boots have no lateral give. This MAY lead to the binding bails bending and/or breaking. I know that Jacques went to huge effort and expense to make a few custom TD2 heel bails that are much stronger than the stock TD2 bails.

So, what binding to buy? Depends how much of a perfectionist you are and how much you can handle workshop mods to your bindings. I think the F2 race bindings are the easiest to use out of the box. You have already read Jacques’ review that combined stiff boots and the stiff TD2 stepins.

Perhaps it would be better to use your Burton bindings and Head boots for a while and spend your cash on a board that has a waist width that corresponds to your foot size and preferred binding angles? A set up like this would be excellent for learning the EC technique.

This is my take on the boot binding thing. Take this with a grain of salt as I am a weekend hack.

Rob

I want the TD2 standards, but I don't want to deal with the toe bail overhang. The SI's would be sweet...but aparently, lateral flex becomes a problem with these. What do I do here? I dont want to use my old burton race plates. I know I can updrage to the Catek toe bails on the standards, but frankly, I don't want to modify the TD2 and void the warranty. I emailed bomber on this, and wasn't given a clear answer. HELP!

I don't know anyone that uses Catek's for EC. TD2's work great with the soft rings. Standards or Step-in's is a personal preference. What kind of boots do you have?

DO NOT MODIFY YOUR BINDINGS...clear enough?

--Hugh

I personally won't worry about the extra bail overhang, it really is minimal. If you add yellow dampening kit under the binding it will raise you up some meaning that the overhang becomes even less of a problem and gives you some extra love.

My advice get the TD2 standard with yellow rings and the extra suspension kit.

My thoughts exactly....except, what do you mean, "extra suspension kit"? You mean get a set of purple pads too, or double stack the yellows? What's the benefit of stacking them? Wouldn't that be a squishy ride?

this is from the Bomber store

Bomber Suspension Kit

When the TD2 was introduced in 2003, it incorporated a revolutionary two piece mounting system that allowed for the cant/lift disk to essentially “float” the rider on the snowboard. This float is controlled by a urethane ring called the “E-Ring” The benefit of this system is the ability to absorb shock and vibration as well as allow for some controlled movement in the binding-to-board interface.

We took this successful concept and went to the next level with the TD2 Suspension Kit. This kit is inserted under your current TD2 bindings and essentially amplifies the effect of the floating cant/lift disk. We use a specially manufactured 3/16” (4.7mm) pad of 40D durometer urethane that is cut to match the shape of the TD2 lower disk with an aluminum spacer inserted in the middle. It is necessary to use the supplied longer M6 mounting screws with this kit.

Now your entire body weight and different impacts to the board have to travel through this large pad of absorbing urethane. Makes the ride of your snowboard feel like a Cadillac. The system also allows for more “movement” of the binding underfoot for those who desire this.

The TD2 Suspension Kit is ONLY to be used with the TD2 snowboard binding. It is NOT a universal system for all bindings. Using on any other binding then the TD2 can and may cause injury or death to the rider.

So this suspension kit is used in addition to the soft med or firm ring that already comes with it? Sounds like an interesting concept...But why would I want to have my legs move around freely like they already do mounted on my burton race plates? I thought the reason to buy TD2's is to eliminate that additional slop found in every other binding I've tried, you know, so you get that rock solid feeling? Also, with the additional suspension installed, wouldn't the extra movement on the bindings take its toll on the inserts of the board? Or maybe I just don't get the concept of the "floating" you speak of. Set me straight on this.