Note to New Members ×

trying to decide how stiff to go...

Diggin in MN

I'm getting the Donek Blade 180. Now i need to decide on Med or Stiff flex. Im 6'3", 195lbs w/o gear, and been on plates for 9 years. Sean at Donek suggested the Medium, as i'm right on the cutoff for med and the stiff flex. I'm concerned that I may fold the nose on a med flex. I've never rode a donek, and don't know how to judge the flex. I know with the larger sidecut, softer is better....but i dont want it too soft. Any suggestions? This is a large investment for me, so I want to get it right.

Doneks tend to be on the stiff side,my '77axxes is a 7, and my '79 fcII is an 8.5 I am 240, and I have not folded the nose on it in 10 days of riding so far.

I think you'd be okay going with the med flex. Mike T is about 190 and has been riding doneks for years, you might want to pm him with any questions.

mario

I'm not experienced with the EC thing so I am afraid I don't have much advice to offer.

Regarding Doneks in general, yeah they tend to be fairly stiff decks. I'm a huge fan of the Olympic construction - a quieter ride without giving up the rebound between turns - very confidence inspiring. I find that I can ride a pretty stiff deck w/ Olympic construction.

But if you look at the stiffness numbers for the Blades as compared to the FC and GS decks of similar lengths, they are lower...

Listen to what Sean has to say, he knows his boards.

Check the second sentence of the original post. ;)

Diggin, you going to bring that new Blade out to Buck so we can check it out?

:sleep: Not too sharp first thing in the morning! I asked Sean the same question so I was thinking of myself rather than reading. :smashfrea

For sure, speedzilla. I'm ordering right after xmas, hope to have 2nd or 3rd week in Jan. I figure by then, we will have real snow on the ground, and everyone will be 100% open. Haven't been to Buck in years. Hylands mainly, and Wild or Afton a few times a month. I refuse to ride until I get my new setup...it's my way of making myself buy it. Still dont know what topsheet color to do. I wanted red, but don't want to be confused w Swoard. Thinkin black or white instead. See you out there!

For sure, speedzilla. I'm ordering right after xmas, hope to have 2nd or 3rd week in Jan. I figure by then, we will have real snow on the ground, and everyone will be 100% open. Haven't been to Buck in years. Hylands mainly, and Wild or Afton a few times a month. I refuse to ride until I get my new setup...it's my way of making myself buy it. Still dont know what topsheet color to do. I wanted red, but don't want to be confused w Swoard. Thinkin black or white instead. See you out there!

Weekend mornings (Sunday especially) there are usually 1/2 dozen carvers at Buck. With the execption of the halfpipe, they are 100% open with great snow and full coverage.

Don't worry, nobody around here has a Swoard, so no confusion there!

Don't miss the Carving Cup on Dec. 30th!