Note to New Members ×

What would you like to see in a magazine?

Justin A.

What would you like to see in a mag?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see in a mag?

FYI--

Snowboard Journal is no longer in business...too bad I really liked that mag. The recording says something about Future Snowboarding...

That's a bummer. That was an intelligent mag with great photography.

I really like the idea of a PDF style mag, rather than a printed one. That would be great.

And content .... gear. The best part of National Geographic and Stuff are the gearhead pages. a couple of pages a month of cool jackets, goggles, shovels, probes, packs, and maybe some cool apres hangout gear, hoodies and funky shoes.

I really like the idea of a PDF style mag, rather than a printed one. That would be great.

And content .... gear. The best part of National Geographic and Stuff are the gearhead pages. a couple of pages a month of cool jackets, goggles, shovels, probes, packs, and maybe some cool apres hangout gear, hoodies and funky shoes.

The PDF format thing is a really really good idea...I like it. It would cut costs significantly, and perhaps eventually it could be published in both.

As for the gearhead section...that wouldn't be a problem at all; but what kind of gearhead stuff are we talking about? Strictly alpine snowboard stuff, or perhaps some other areas, like Backcountry gear (tents, bags, ect), or maybe just general mountain life (term stolen from SKI) stuff? Like...backpacking gear type stuff. What would you prefer? I'm leaning towards the backcountry gear in addition to alpine gear.

Thanks everyone for being so supportive with this, the first issue will go into the works as soon as I get my camera back from servicing....and maybe we could get some snow on the ground for fecks sake.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm getting closer to getting something together here...I've decided to distribute electronically, probally via PDF format or possibly a website-based dealy.

New problem: I have NO IDEA how to publish an electronic magazine...if anybody knows and either has time to give me a few pointers or really any help whatsoever, I would greatly appreciate it. :biggthump:lurk: .

I'm gettin there! (mostly just to spite Jack ;) )

The Adobe Acrobat "PDF" file is a pretty friendly way of sending out multi-page

documents with both images and text. Many software applications now have a

"Save as PDF" Option.

You can lay out your magazine in something like Word, Photoshop, Illustrator,

Acrobat.. or a professonal page layout program. I have no experience with

Quark, or Publisher.. but I imagine that they also will also export to .pdf.

Don't worry if you don't have one of those Microsoft or Adobe products, there

are a bunch of free programs out there as well.. Look up "Open Office" and

"PDFcreator."

Best of luck.

I'd love a snowboard magazine that had all of the cool stuff from Snowboard Life like:

- beginner "how to" tips

- regional snippets from areas over the country

- gear reviews

- bios on interesting snowboard people

- road trip stories

Additionally, it would be cool to see:

- historical articles on the development of carving

- advanced carving techniques

- resort reviews