Note to New Members ×

What board for this style?

Guest srale

Hi!

I'm new here..

I've been snowbording for over 10 years and now I'd like to get a new snowboard.

Since I don't have any good photos of myself, I'll attach those two photos to try to describe the style I'm shooting for.

I found those photos on alpinecarving.com, so maybe some guys from this forum recognise themselves on those photos :o

So, what boards would you suggest for that, quite angulated style?

Thanks for your help

post-3553-141842222127_thumb.jpg

well the top looks like a WCR and the bottom looks like a Coiler though which one is anyone's guess. I've had good luck with my Coiler RC175 but just about any of the more race oriented boards...then again either the Donek or the Coiler FC boards would do that as well

At the risk of being pounced on for acting too snooty and elitist...

You can do anything with any board. I ride a Coiler 184PRII for freeride purposes, but it's also my daily slider. I second what was said above though, the top looks like a WCR and the bottom one looks like any colier, or possibly a race-stock burton from a few years ago, or any other board with a black base ;) . Good luck in your quest for the carve.

Edit: after closer review of the photos, they both look to be fairly racey turns, so a race board would serve BEST (not only, but most effeciently) to make that style of turn.

An alpine board, or possibly a really stiff BX deck.

There's a fair number of alpine boards available, depending on how much money you want to spend / can afford to spend; you're going to need not just a board but bindings and boots as well, because you're going too find it very hard to get anywhere near the photos posted in softies. Unless you're falling over, of course, and I've yet to see anyone in softies fall over with as much style as that :)

The problem you're going to find is that alpine boards are not only expensive and "hen's teeth" in most ski stores, but they are varied, probably more varied than freeride / freestyle boards are; without some expert help and advice you could end up stuck with something that simply doesn't work for you. The same goes for boots. Which means you probably need to be borroowing or hiring gear, but that means knowing someone with gear to lend / a shop with gear to hire.

Personally, I'd suggest something like an F2 Silberpfeil as a reasonably docile first alpine board.

Simon

And what about european boards?

my friend divides boards in two categories: american (dump) and european (lively)?

are any european boards good for this style?

P.S. TO Jim Callen

I've got UPZ boots and Cateks and love them too

Id have to say probably not. From my experience, a euro (alpine) board would typically be trying to spring into the next carve too much for you to hold that angulated position for too long. A damp (canadian) hard board would probably be best (prior/coiler racing boards) as has already been suggested:) The Overdose rides like a kid on crack, i didnt think a board could be so lively! from what i hear viruses are even more so. not ideal for the style you want. the longboard is another story though... very chill laid back kinda riding, but possibly too soft for your style. Now if we could get some good snow, I might get a chance to ride them again:rolleyes:

Whoa now, my priors are some of the springiest rides I know. Sure, they are damp, but the amount of energy released when you shift to the tail is incredible. Springier than any european board I've ever ridden (haven't gotten on a kessler yet).

when i said canadian i was referring more to coilers than priors, sorry:o

I think a longer sidecut radius makes for more graceful, deeply angulated turns - like 12m or bigger. I don't think length is very critical, I've been happy on 170-183 and I think I could go a bit shorter provided the board is stiff (I don't think you'll find a shorter board with a long sidecut though).

$0.02

as i got it.... prior is a dump board with a springy tail..

but pogo would be out of a question no matter how big radius or effective edge it has? like Pogo Blitz? http://www.pogo.biz/shop/product_category_displayE.php?cPath=24_42&language=en

P.S. I know smaller pogos are like a kid on crack, and i like it in one way ... i used to experiment with drugs, that's why i kinda like it ;)

as i got it.... prior is a dump board with a springy tail..

but pogo would be out of a question no matter how big radius or effective edge it has? like Pogo Blitz? http://www.pogo.biz/shop/product_category_displayE.php?cPath=24_42&language=en

P.S. I know smaller pogos are like a kid on crack, and i like it in one way ... i used to experiment with drugs, that's why i kinda like it ;)

I dont know too much about the Blitz, except that i want one:eplus2: Fin might be able to answer that if he sticks his head in here. If you check Bernd's riding in the picture on top of the page, Hes angulated but differently than shown in the pictures you posted... that could be just him, but the narrowness of the board might have something to do with it too.

I dont know too much about the Blitz, except that i want one:eplus2: Fin might be able to answer that if he sticks his head in here. If you check Bernd's riding in the picture on top of the page, Hes angulated but differently than shown in the pictures you posted... that could be just him, but the narrowness of the board might have something to do with it too.

sorry, my english is quite bad... I didn't get the point...?!?

sorry, my english is quite bad... I didn't get the point...?!?

Ive never ridden a Blitz, so I don't know how it handles.

Fin, owner of Bomber Industries, owns a Blitz and might be able to answer your "but pogo would be out of a question no matter how big radius or effective edge it has? like Pogo Blitz? " question.

I don't think Pogo is out of the question, I think it is possible to ride Pogo snowboards with the angulated style in your pictures, but it would not be the perfect riding style to match the snowboards.

I hope this is a little clearer:)

Ive never ridden a Blitz, so I don't know how it handles.

Fin, owner of Bomber Industries, owns a Blitz and might be able to answer your "but pogo would be out of a question no matter how big radius or effective edge it has? like Pogo Blitz? " question.

I don't think Pogo is out of the question, I think it is possible to ride Pogo snowboards with the angulated style in your pictures, but it would not be the perfect riding style to match the snowboards.

I hope this is a little clearer:)

I didn't understand the "narrowness" and "Bernd" parts, but thanks anyway ;)

Da pomognem malo...

Narrow = uzan, uzak

Narrowness = uskost, uzanost

Bernd je ime coveka sa jedne od slika.

Pozdrav,

Boris

Oh, thanks Boris :biggthump

It wasn't the language issue. I didn't understand what Pow wanted to say by that. And I still don't know who is Bernd. It's Jim Callen and Norm in the photos, right? At least that's what Crave2carve said :confused:

Oh, thanks Boris :biggthump

It wasn't the language issue. I didn't understand what Pow wanted to say by that. And I still don't know who is Bernd. It's Jim Callen and Norm in the photos, right? At least that's what Crave2carve said :confused:

Sorry about the confusion, Bernd is the rider in most of the pictures on pogo's alpine snowboarding website. If you click the link you posted earlier (http://www.pogo.biz/shop/product_category_displayE.php?cPath=24_42&language=en) you will notice a row of pictures on the top of the page. Bernd is not a member of Bomber Online to my knowlege. I was referencing the pictures of him to point out the slightly different riding style used to ride different snowboards effectively.

Sorry about the confusion, Bernd is the rider in most of the pictures on pogo's alpine snowboarding website. If you click the link you posted earlier (http://www.pogo.biz/shop/product_category_displayE.php?cPath=24_42&language=en) you will notice a row of pictures on the top of the page. Bernd is not a member of Bomber Online to my knowlege. I was referencing the pictures of him to point out the slightly different riding style used to ride different snowboards effectively.

Thanks man!

I've already started beliving that I was a simple guy who couldn't understend some basic things :o

Back to the toppic.

What board do you suggest for me guys?

Is it possible to test ride Priors in Europe?

Thanks

Whoa now, my priors are some of the springiest rides I know. Sure, they are damp, but the amount of energy released when you shift to the tail is incredible. Springier than any european board I've ever ridden (haven't gotten on a kessler yet).

Did you try Pogo Impact? That one is very springy!

What about Nidecker, Volkl, f2? Did you try them? How would you compare them to your Prior? And since you killed your WCR181, what's gonna be your next board?