Note to New Members ×

What board to take to Park City

skategoat

I just pulled the trigger on flights to Salt Lake City in early January. I'm missing WTC by a couple of weeks but I'm hoping I can still meet up with some of you Wasatch riders. I'm psyched for this since I've never skied or ridden Utah. I'm staying at Park City but might try some of the other resorts.

So, I have a big quiver and I want to take only two boards. So help me choose.

182 Coiler All-Mountain

178 Dynastar 4807

174 Coiler RCII

174 Prior 4WD

168 Volkl RT GS

164 Volkl Spline

156 Burton Fish

Or should I buy two new boards :biggthump

Stick with plates and hardboots or bring along the softies?

the AM and the fish or the 4807

a dedicated pow ride is essential in UT if you ask me

I mentioned the AM because it's the biggest board you have so I assumed it was the best at speed, big wide open trails out there so going fast is nice

My experience, albeit limited, is that's it's feast or famine with Park City...either the conditions are optimal or it hasn't snowed in a while and conditions are crap.

I'd take the Prior and the 4807 for the pow or the tracked out crud you'd encounter...

Stay away from the ER's in Park City!!!!

They have a problem with dispensing drugs to people in pain....

All my injuries, with the exception of the concussion in Tahoe, were in Park City....

I'd recommend Taste of Saigon if you like Vietnamese food. Very good beef lemongrass with vermacelli.

The Canyons have a lot of FLAT terrain....I didn't try Park City, it's a jibbers resort...

Deer Valley hates us peeps.

You've got a great quiver now, resist the urge to buy....

I'd bring both Coilers. Big mountain board (AM) for pow, tracked and soft conditions. The 174 for the groomers. If you are concerned about travel luggage space bring hardboots and plates only. If you can stash some softboots in a suitcase (put the boots in the binders so that you don't have to find another spot for the binders), otherwise, rent some soft setup once you get to PC.

I'm sure Skully, Billy, Dave, Mikey, and Jared will be around to help you out. Checkout hardbooter.com and make friends with these gentlemen.

Mark

Mike:

Actually, it's a 183. Bought it off Bomber last season and only rode it once in the spring slush. It's 6.7 flex and that's about all I can remember about it. The rest I'd have to measure.

Any other Park City/Utah tips are appreciated. I'm watching the weather daily hoping it just dumps like hell out there.

Henry

Actually, it's a 183. Bought it off Bomber last season and only rode it once in the spring slush. It's 6.7 flex and that's about all I can remember about it. The rest I'd have to measure.

I remember the ad - seem to recall it having a scr of about 13 - mine is 12.7 scr and 7.1 stiffness.

My 182 excels on fresh over groomed and hero cord as well as slush... if I make it out to Utah I will definitely bring mine.

I remember the ad - seem to recall it having a scr of about 13 - mine is 12.7 scr and 7.1 stiffness.

My 182 excels on fresh over groomed and hero cord as well as slush... if I make it out to Utah I will definitely bring mine.

I'm going to ride it exclusively early season to see if it handles the groom. If so, I'll probably leave the RCII at home. Besides, if I'm jonesing for a race board, I'm sure Bordy will loan me one of his Kesslers.

Wait till you get closer to departure date and look at current conditions and forcast. You could end up with a week of steady snow, in which case softies and fish only. Or you could end up with perfect groomers, in which case the longest carving board you feel comfortable on.

I'm going to ride it exclusively early season to see if it handles the groom. If so, I'll probably leave the RCII at home. Besides, if I'm jonesing for a race board, I'm sure Bordy will loan me one of his Kesslers.

Hardbooter has a demo fleet of race and pow gear. We love to share it with anyone. We have a small fee to help cover our yearly insurance.

I am always willing to bring anything you want to try out to the hill.

We have gear from, F2, Donek, Madd, Prior, Bomber, Catek, Virus, UPZ, Burton, Louis, Coiler, and tons of WC race stock gear also. Send some e-mail to billy@hardbooter.com with the dates you are going to be here and we can work it out.

We all ride at PCMR and think it one of the best Carving Mtn in the country! On the not so down side some days there is to much powder to ride hardboots!!! Like all this week!!!! :biggthump

I am a rookie carver, but have skied for 34 years. I grew up at the "Ogden resorts", with season passes to Powder Mountain. Snowbasin is 20 min from my house. Still, we (my carving sons and I) get season passes to Park City. It's an hour away and the passes cost way more, but for wide open, groomed carving hills, I can't think of anywhere better in Utah for snowboard or ski carving. Except Deer Valley :lol: Wow, what outstanding grooming!