Note to New Members ×

Advice sought -- narrower board?

mnovak

Hi gang,

Looking for some advice on getting a narrower freecarving board. The narrowest board I have ridden is a Prior 4WD (21 cm waist) at 50/45 front/rear angles.

I've seen guys ripping on narrower freecarve boards like coilers, doneks, etc. and wondering whether an 18 cm waisted board would really be much faster edge to edge. I understand that higher angles may make heelsides easier, toesides a bit tougher and overall manoeuvrability more difficult. I am interested, however, in being able to go faster from edge to edge and figure a narrower board would help.

Any thoughts appreciated! :)

I love the feeling that you get with a skinny board, that you don't even have to move. You just think, and the board's over on the other edge.

Having learned on a 19cm waist, I find it weird now when I ride something wider and you get that definite edge, hesitate, edge before it switches over, where it rests on teh base for that split second. You get used to it, but it's a litle strange to start with.

Try it ... you'll like it (ooohhh...)

Aside from the fact that you can generate more torque the closer you boot/bindings are to the edge of the board, you also can factor in the mass of the the board for swing weight when you're transitioning in the air (board off the slope). That said, booting out is no fun, so buy the board waist that gets you closet to that point (booting out), or adjust you binding angles higher, which will also get you faster edge to edge up to say 55 to 60 degrees front.

Most of my turns off piste are done in air, and swing weight and mass has become a very critical factor in edge to edge changes, and just getting myself out of the mess that I may be in.

If the board is to stay on the slope (groomers), it's not as critical as when you're out mucking around, but it's still a major factor.

I know that the first board I bought was recommended to me by a guy that said "Get the biggest board you can find,DUDE!". And 20 boards later, I ride the smallest board I can get by on, considering the conditions and where I'm riding..

maybe start with something in between like 19 CM

for every half CM of width I notice a pretty dramatic difference...

they are faster edge to edge when narrow but this does not you'll be able to carve better on them just makes not carving scarier

I 2nd Bob's opinion. 19-19.5 is way more versatile than 18 waist. I really like my 19.7 wide board, my 18 slalom board feels too "bicycle" but it is super fast edge-to-edge. I kind of like the 4wd, too. Looking forward to try something newly aquired just under 19.

Even when you look at the racing circuits, trend is towards wider boards...