Note to New Members ×

who is snowytom?

Jack M

Good video idea, but too much skidding going on. Completing the C and scrubbing some speed would reduce the skid.

My $0.02,

Hugh

Yea, but he only started snowboarding a season or two ago after a longboard skateboarding background, Actually looking at the video he made at the end of last season... way better... better than me! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IJ8UeYfOc

That's Tom from Salida.

I wouldn't be too harsh on his technique. He's a great carver considering he's a converted tele skier. I think he's been boarding about three years now or so? I saw some great carvers at SES 06 and he can ride with the best of them. Riding the way he does in such a short time is really something I'd be very proud of. Tom's always been one to be opened minded about technique critique. Search his posts and you'll see. BOL user "tpalka".

Just be careful with your critique as he might just sick Lisa on you to show you up. His wife can out carve me hands down! Granted that's not saying much. She probably can out carve a good percentage of the BOL community as well. :biggthump

Link toTom's site with some pics from SES (some are Scott Firestone's work)

Yes, I'm "snowytom". This was a pretty early video after many people on this board offered drill suggestions for angulation and less bending at the waist. I have ways to go to "keep up with the best of them", but drills and advice from others definitely helped me a lot :) Cheers,

tom.

Good video idea, but too much skidding going on. Completing the C and scrubbing some speed would reduce the skid.

My $0.02,

Hugh

Wow, my above statement was pretty light on advice and very fitting for a first to second season carver. Read it again....pleeeeeeeeaaaaasssseee :flamethro Also, isn't that how we all started out?

Once again, great idea to put carving vids on Youtube :biggthump

--Hugh :AR15firin

but...ease up a little on the "can outcarve anyone" stuff

I never said Tom could outcarve "anyone" as you put it. I said his wife could though. Well actually I said "his wife could outcave a good percentage of the BOL community." Yep those were the exact words. Do I have data to back this up? Nope. But I've been to SES and I'll stick to my statement.

She's an awesome rider regardless. Tom too!

This was all in good fun. Um'k? Seems nobody can say anything anymore without things getting all mixed up.

I'm not sure if critism is wanted or not here, but what the hell. Put up a vid on the internet and it's bound to happen.

This is what I got from the vid:

In my opinion a video call tips for alpine carving, should have at least one carved heelside. I happen to catch one truely carved heelside. Harsh I know, but this is where I will attempt to make up for my harshness:

You usually get your board to hook up on the heelside once it is in or just before the fall line. It looks to me that you end your toeside turn with your hips too squared to the nose of the board. This causes tension in your lower body. When you release your toeside edge and you no longer have a positive platform to push off of, this built up tension causes your board to drift the top of your heelside. It take you half the turn to get enough edge angle and a stable enough platform to overcome this tension and get the board carving again. This winter try leading slightly with your front shoulder and hip aligned.

I hope this makes sense. Sometimes I have trouble typing what I'm trying to explain.

what the hell. Put up a vid on the internet and it's bound to happen

Thanks, Phil. The movie is almost 2 years old, and it was in response to some particular suggestions other BOL'ers offered. But I appreciate the tips, maybe I'll shoot another movie and ask you for comments on it? I'll do so in the next few weeks.

tom.

I ride at Monarch -- but this filming thing is really easy -- we just film the "movies" with a little pocket digital camera and then paste them together with iMovie (I work on a Mac). You could probably just as well have a friend film you... but I'm happy to "shoot" you if we get to ride together :)

tom.

Tom, I video alot also. I have a small digital camera that's easy to carry under my parka. The problem is I'm always the one behind the camera. It's hard to find someone who can set up quickly and then hold a camera steady. My thought was that it would be nice to hook up with someone that also knows how to use a camera and can video efficiently so you don't spend the day waiting for someone to set up.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hey Tim, good to see you here! Terry English told me, when I started to carve low to pick up the case of beer and cross over the board with it! How high or low you place it before coming back over the board is up to you! Aspen for all days!!! Jack: Check out finelineclub.com gallery members. The shot of me from above was after over a year off from my hit in Aspen Your imput is always good???