Note to New Members ×

Any opinions on a Dodge Magnum AWD as a snowsports vehicle?

Miguel

I'm trying to decide between a Magnum and a Subaru Outback. I fell in love with the chopped look, ride and feel of the Magnum. I don't feel all that comfortable in the Subie and the Magnum feels like a kid glove. The Subie has a bit more ground clearance. I can get a 2006 Magnum for $16999 and a 2005 Legacy Outback for $17999. I know the Subaru is considered the Vermont state car but I've fallen in love with the Magnum. Anyone out there with any Magnum experience? Owner reviews on the web are overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks, Miguel

Here's a pic.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/dodge/magnum/100531258/photos.html

My buddy drives a Magnum as a company vehicle for work.

She has Nokian WSR's on it, and finds it OK to use as a snowsports vehicle - she loves the powerplant, and the convenience of having such a large bed compared to the Outback, but misses the clear sightlines higher bottom clearance and 4WD of her old Outback.

George

I've got a Magnum for another day (it's a rental, wife's car was in an accident and in the body shop - no one hurt, other driver's fault).

Frankly, I hate the sight lines. There are too many blind spots. Windshield is too small. I have a lot of complaints about visibility from the inside. After driving it for nearly 2 weeks, I'd never buy one.

I had an Outback before my current pickup. While the ride in the Outback isn't as nice as the Magnum, the visibility is so much better that there's really no comparison.

I would never touch a Chrysler product again after experiences I have had in the past. My '96 Dodge Caravan and my bother's '99 Caravan both experienced multiple transmission failures. Chrysler is all about styling. Their engineering sucks.

Subies, on the other hand, have fantastic reliability records.

Contrary to what Skategoat said, I have NEVER had a problem with a DCX product. We have owned 8 thus far, and we had no problems.

The magnum looks badass, but from the interior looks are ass-bad. I'm 6'0", and I have a hard time seeing over the enormous hood, despite my head almost being on the headliner. Maybe they have helmet engineers designing the seating? I can see that; a bunch of germans in labcoats standing around the drawingboard: "zee head moost be en contakt vith zee headlineh! Uddervise zee shell vill do no goot!". Anyway, I've found that Chrysler's look the ****, but have awful ergonomics in the cockpit. We have a PT cruiser, and if the interior mirror was about 2" higher on the windshield, visibilty would be fine. Chryslers tend to have higher seating positions that cause taller people almost hit their head on the roof, or feel like you're inside a helmet. I've never had a problem with any of jeep's ergos though.

If you're considering a Magnum AWD, you should also check out the Saab 9-3 SportCombi. I have a 9-3 Sedan and it's great in the snow, and the sedan's cargo space is unbelievable, so I can only imagine what it would be like in the wagon.

I had a rental Magnum for a week once. I did not get to drive it in snow, but I will say that the interior space is non existent. There is very little cargo room (regardless of what they advertise). If you need space to stowe your gear, you may want to look elsewhere.

If you plan to dump the car after 3 years, you can buy just about anything. OTOH, if you plan to keep it past it's warranty, my experience tells me to stay away from Chrysler. If I'm asked to pick between a Subaru and a Chrysler, that's a total no-brainer. Especially as a snow vehicle. There's a reason why you see Subie after Subie in Vermont.

When my '96 Caravan needed a new tranny at 80,000kms. (off warranty).

My brother's '99 Grand Caravan needed THREE transmissions before it hit 125,000 kms. Then one day, the motor decided to throw a rod through the block. Despite my urgings to push the POS into Lake Ontario, he fixed it again to the tune of $3,000, drove it for another 10k and sold it for $1,000.

If you want to see a horror story, check out this poor sap:

http://www.donotbuydodge.ca/

Ask any Mercedes enthusiast what he thinks of Daimler Chrysler.

Henry

I don't know much about the Mag other than one model of it is pretty powerful for a grocery getter

I'll tell you this though, if you want something thats good in the snow don't go with anything that is powerful.

case in point would be a geo metro, the only thing that was better than that for me was my sister's subaru GL wagon when it was snowing

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38858/Act/Showall/

I did read in the above link of others complaining of limited field of vision . . ."floaty" feel on the highway. Do all models burn premium unleaded? Prices quoted must be for a previously owned vehicle, a rental? First impression indicates the Magnum must not hold it's value well? Also mention of the middle passenger riding the hump.

My wife just turned in her 9.2X Saab (re badged Subara) . . . glad to say goodbye to that little car. Now she is driving an 07 Impala, great ride! I might get to use it as I inisisted on the flip and fold rear seats and the 184 fits fine.