Note to New Members ×

How to end your career in 10 seconds.

Jack M

my favorite heckler lines:

* Didn't I tell you to wait in the truck?

* Didn't I ditch you at Wal-Mart?

* I remember my first beer.

* This is why some parent's eat their young.

* You don't get enough attention at home do you?

* This is what happens when the fetus doesn't get enough oxygen.

* If you don't shut up I will kill the guy next to you.

* A voice from the rear...thats hard to do.

* Sorry I don't speak quaalude.

* Can I get a jackass interpreter up here?

* I don't go to where you work and slap the happy meals outta your hand do I?

* You have a beer, I have a microphone, lets both just work with what we got OK?

* Don't make me come out there...I will beat you like a sunday morning boner!

* If your dick was as big as your mouth you would have a date tonight!

Doh!!! :smashfrea . My opinions are generally VERY different than almost everybody elses. Before I get pounced on, I'm not racist, I just prefer words to be used with their original meaning rather than how they have been modified over the years. Like "gay". Nowadays, you say that you're "gay today" and you are a homosexual. I learned the meaning of gay to be "happy and colorful". Words get twisted and it's really a shame that there are words that were once common language that people have twisted and distorted to become these awful things. I didn't see the guy that Michael Richards was yelling at, so I can pretend that he was just a poor, tattered, and ignorant individual. Ahhh people losing their tempers. Stop the world, I want to get off.

:::the remarks made in this reply were not meant to offend or degrade any individual that may be reading:::

It's not that it was ever nice, but it was less DONT SAY IT than it now is. Kinda like words that you don't really want your kids saying, but not a swear word. kinda Like "Retard" is now. I'll see if I can find a dictionary and I'll pull up the definiton.

I lost my A-Q Webster's, so I'm stuck resorting to the web, where through the magic of pop culture, all traces of the origin of the word have been erased. I remember reading in my Webster's that it was a Noun, and was used to describe a person who was exceptionally poor, tattered, dirty, uneducated, ect. The word was then adopted during the times of slavery to describe the slaves, who fit all of the adjectives used to assemble the noun. Which is why you can still describe someone as being "niggardly" without offending TOO many people...I think.

I may be wrong, but that is what I remember reading. Flame away :flamethro .

I just prefer words to be used with their original meaning rather than how they have been modified over the years.
Language evolves. If I use words as they were in Shakespeare's day, would you think I was kind of an idiot for expecting you to understand what I mean? Similarly, you can't use words like "gay" or "nigger" and not expect them to be taken in their modern context. And I can guarantee you that words like "retard" were just as offensive to the target person 30 years ago as they are today. It's only the attitude of the people using the words that has changed.

Language evolves. If I use words as they were in Shakespeare's day, would you think I was kind of an idiot for expecting you to understand what I mean? Similarly, you can't use words like "gay" or "nigger" and not expect them to be taken in their modern context. And I can guarantee you that words like "retard" were just as offensive to the target person 30 years ago as they are today. It's only the attitude of the people using the words that has changed.

Which is what I'm trying to say. I understand all that, but I believe that people should still be allowed to use words in their original context if they want to be able to. Obviously Kramer (michael whats his face) wasn't using it in it's original context, but I think that I should be able to refer to a bum on the street using the same word, since he is in fact one.

I think you're confusing nigger with niggard. I don't know, but I always assumed nigger came from Negro.

You're right that nigger was used more carelessly or freely years ago... back in the days of segregation and open racism.

I am the last person to uphold political correctness, but you're really digging yourself a hole here, Justin.

this comin from the dude that was proud for ratting on someone for smoking weed

interesting. all about freedom though, right?

anyway, two entirely different words with entirely different origins and meanings. "Kramer" flipped out. Id like to see what provoked him though.

another site I post at a bunch of reactionary apologetic whites said "he should get his ass beat"...apparently they didnt listen to they momma when she said two wrongs dont make a right.

The thing that cracks me up about using "the n-word", is that white people can't use it to describe a black person, but black people call each other nigger all the time and it's "pop culture". Surely if it's derogatory, it should be in all instances, and not just determined by the colour of your skin.

Like in New Zealand where as a white person you're not allowed to use "racial slurs", but a Maori or a Pacific Islander can call you a palangi or a honky, both of which are extremely derogatory, and that's perfectly OK.

I don't get it. There seems to be a big double standard in there somewhere...

huh?

Id like to see what provoked him though.

Yes, isn't it interesting that we are purposely denied knowing what provoked him. Not that it would excuse him, but still it would be relevant and helpful. It's part of the malaise that now it is only the <i>allegation</i> that matters, not the facts.

another site I post at a bunch of reactionary apologetic whites said "he should get his ass beat"...apparently they didnt listen to they momma when she said two wrongs dont make a right.

Word. I also find it interesting that if you have it in your heart to call someone a nigger or a cracker, so long as you don't say it first, you're alright.

Coincidence - I just heard a commentator the other day observe that any public figure is at all times merely one sentence away from total self-destruction.

I need to second the "huh"....

Jack, I know Im digging myself a hole here, but I figure that with the shovel, I can also dig a tunnel to sneak out. "Nigger" was it's own word. Im pretty sure that Negro is derived from the spanish word for Black.

I wholeheartedly agree with Allee about the double standard.

I think I have such a hard time differentiating because I feel that I can distinguish between people who fit a steriotype and people who look like them who don't. My best friend is 100% colombian, he's hispanic, but not a spic. If he was a drug dealing, turf-warring, gang member, then I would think he's a spic. I share my view from one of my father's friends who is black. Sedrick(the black friend), is from central Alabama. He has 2 doctorates and pulls in about $150,000 a year. He HATES niggers.

Basically, what I'm trying to say before I bow out before digging to the point where I can't build a tunnel (like the MTA), is that people get offended too easily. Michael Richards was being a jackass, I'm not going to deny that at all. The guy yelling back that he's a dumb cracker was also being a jackass, though at that point Richards was being a dumb cracker, but you also need to consider that (pre-flipout), the Heckler was being a dumb nigger.

:::again, I'm not looking to offend anyone, I'm just trying to debate my opinions against other people's opinions:::

I need to second the "huh"....

have you forgotten your proud proclamation only weeks ago?

as for the rest...this is gonna be fun.

Allee...double standards are a part of life. Minorities are protected, whites are the enemy and even though they are the true global minority its only "racism" when it's "white" on (insert non-white racial classification here)

Richard's made a huge mistake. His sappy apology made it even worse in my eyes. Sounds like he ate someone's baby.

have you forgotten your proud proclamation only weeks ago?

Yes. :confused:

Edit: I remember now. There was a jibber that lit up in the gondola with me and my girlfriend(who is horribly allergic to smoke), after he asked us if we minded. We said yes, and he lit up anyway. Respect begets respect.

YIKES !! :eek::eek::eek: That is unbelievable. I would have never expected that kind of reaction from any comedian, let alone Michael Richards. Since there were many blacks in the audience, he can't even use the I-was-playing-to-the-crowd defense, which is pretty much the weakest defense around. To me, that really came from within him -- a quick peek into the real Michael Richards. I lost all respect for him after seeing that video.

'later...

I think I have such a hard time differentiating because I feel that I can distinguish between people who fit a steriotype and people who look like them who don't. My best friend is 100% colombian, he's hispanic, but not a spic. If he was a drug dealing, turf-warring, gang member, then I would think he's a spic. I share my view from one of my father's friends who is black. Sedrick(the black friend), is from central Alabama. He has 2 doctorates and pulls in about $150,000 a year. He HATES niggers.

So let me get this straight - if there's someone you disapprove of personally, you feel it's OK to use a historically derogatory racist label, simply because that person is a "bad guy" or whatever? A "nigger" is a black guy you don't like?

Yes, you're a racist.

that's not exactly the same story you had the first time around, Justin...but,whatever.

Sedrick(the black friend), is from central Alabama. He has 2 doctorates and pulls in about $150,000 a year. He HATES niggers.

I think you mean he hates uneducated idiots that may be "of color"

The Chris Rock skit is great, I watch BET all the time

this is more of the reality of....Diversity

The Office - Chris Rock (Diversity Day)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-woMUcv5a1E

I think you mean he hates uneducated idiots that may be "of color"

The Chris Rock skit is great, I watch BET all the time

this is more of the reality of....Diversity

The Office - Chris Rock (Diversity Day)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-woMUcv5a1E

It's not quite the same story, but this one is how it went down. And no. Sedrick and I were riding a lift one time, we were talking about something similar to this Richards thing, and he said "all those stupid niggers, they ruin it for the rest of us." He DID use that word, and he WAS refering to "people of color".

Awesome link BTW.

I think that the derogatory term for your friend sedrick is "Uncle Tom" in the black community.

let me clarify:

It is commonly used to describe black people whose political views or allegiances are considered by critics as detrimental to blacks as a group.

A more offensive term with the same meaning is house nigger (as contrasted with field workers from the days of slavery). In 2002, actor/singer Harry Belafonte used a variation of the term, White House nigger, to characterize former Secretary of State Colin Powell and former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice.

Did you happen to see Harry Belafonte on Bill Maher's new show Real Time on HBO ? he's a bit of a nut but makes some great points (and no, I don't think what he said in 2002 about Powell and Rice was very smart, to say the least, he has his moments)

As does Michael Richards, he's no racist, he just snapped on some hecklers.

Justin, come to Boston and ride the orange line train down into Roxbury and you'll see how the N word is bandied about between "brothers".

Justin, come to Boston and ride the orange line train down into Roxbury and you'll see how the N word is bandied about between "brothers".

Been there. No desire to go back. I split my time pretty well between NH and Bayonne, NJ while I was growing up. Bayonne is across the bay from Newark, and right next to Jersey City. We rode the path into NYC alot from Journal Square in Jersey City also. I know how it's used among friends. I've lost track of what we're debating about at this point....Richards made some stupid comments, but I wouldn't call him a racist. I'd call him someone who grew up in a segregated society. His choice of words was foolish nonetheless.