Note to New Members ×

What we should eat for breakfast.

Fleaman

First of all, meat is disgusting, it's what they make poop from.

Having said that, do you guys remember the story To Build a Fire by Jack London? A cold day in the Klondike, the wise dog and the not-so-wise man. Underneath his coat, nestled against his body, a few slices of bacon and some biscuits that had been soaked in bacon fat. After a few mistakes, the man dies a miserably cold death, and he never gets to eat the bacon sandwich. What a shame.

Then again, he probably had it coming.

post-1396-141842222196_thumb.jpg

post-1396-141842222198_thumb.jpg

meat in and of itself is not that bad, factory farms and processing plants are

I've eaten roadkill before......

meat is inefficient but quite a concentrated source for fats, proteine and some vitamins that are harder to come by with plant matter.

yeah, I remember that story, I remember him spitting and it freezing before it hit the ground, man that was like in 6th grade, ages ago.

posting that here is pretty useless, the majority of the people here probably just wrote you off of a tree hugging kook

Don't think that I am saying that and meaning myself included the other people on this forum are for the most part going to have any part of what you're saying

though I often say vegans piss me off at least they're willing to think of the ethical issues involved with meat

I might do the casual vegetarian thing again, I've been eating meat the last couple months....

Ever culture your own tempeh?

If not send me a email and I'll send you some starter, I got more here than I'll use in the foreseeable future.

bacon and back bacon is friggin' good though, funny thing too it's the one type of meat that I've more than a few vegetarians and vegans say they miss.

The second picture that I posted was from the inside of a "free range" farm. Somewhere in that room is a small door that leads to a 30 X 30 foot gravel lot--way too small to accommodate all of those pigs. But not to worry, the pigs are chained, by their necks, to the ground.

So, while I agree that meat is not in itself a bad thing, it is what they make poop from. After all, we are humans, natural born carnivores, aren't we?? :freak3:

Yeah, I realize that I might be isolating myself by posting veggie propaganda in a thread thats glistening with the drool of meat eaters. Oooh yum! Pig Back! I may indeed appear to be a tree hugging kook, and while that disappoints me, I know that this is not the most appropriate venue for discussing such a volatile subject.

Then again, I don't care, and they all had it coming. :biggthump

As for the tempeh--Yeah, I've fermented my own tempeh. Top it with a good helping of nutritional yeast gravy and you've got yourself a meal that will keep you riding all day! However, I sort of overdid the tempeh thing a few years ago, and I haven't been able to get into it again. Oh well! Plenty of beans in the sea!

Man, you guys are speaking my language. I also don't think meat is horribly bad, although I don't think something else should die so that I can eat. Factory farming is horrible, useless, and cruel. Just read Fast Food Nation, or download Meet your Meat. My conscious just won't let me do it.

Back to the subject, breakfast foods can be wholesome and nutrious without killing something (like a pig, or a cat). What about a whole grain cereal, with berries....yummm. Sounds a little bit "gay" but will probably give you more energy than you ever thought possible.

leave the cats out of it! they are much too nice to eat! :nono:
I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes....

It's Saturday morning and I'm heading for Okemo for the first Mt. Dew Race of the year (skiing and boarding).

Breakfast: Black coffee, liquid glucosamine, frosted strawberry pop tarts.

I think my cat has been using my computer. A couple of days after I wrote the "Cat: the other white meat." post, my cat scratched my eye while we were playing, making it bleed profusely, and gave me a huge blood clot that covered half my eye, then over the course of a couple weeks migrated to the other side of my eye. :freak3:

My diet is tailored quite a bit from the norm, but still omnivorous. I love my dead animals! I just try and avoid all the worst of the worst. Try to eat meat that is not pumped full of antibiotics and fed a more natural diet and free ranging. I grew up on a small hog farm in central Minnesota and still love my pork to this day. We had our own chickens, geese, rabbits (for a while) and would raise one cow for butcher each year. That is good eatin'. You know where the meat came from, know how it was treated, what it was fed, etc. Wild game is good, too.

The problem I have is when people purport to be 'animal friendly' by not eating meat but then every other product they use is animal based or has animal products (like many non-meat foods, clothing, make-up, lotions, and other toiletries, and on and on. The real vegans that I know say it is realy quite hard to find products that do not contain animal products. Just something to think about. I have no problem with the lifestyle (actually, admire their commitment) as long as they follow through with what they say rather than 'posing'.

You want to get controvery started, though, start talking about removing all the farm subsidies that the government pays out annually. I knew about it from friends in Minnesota in the Dairy industry, but having just moved to Montana, I'm amazed at what the beef farmers are paid. Subsidies for everything from feed, to hay, to water for livestock and irrigation for feed crops. The articles I've read said hamburger would go to $10 - 20 a pound if the subsidies were removed and the farmers wanted to get as much profit as they do now with the subsidies. That is money coming from your pocket whether or not you eat beef. Of course, that is the way of the government and it's spending (no matter which party they are from).

...and let's not discuss the lack of testing for specific diseases in the beef industry. Of course you aren't finding it! You are not testing for it!.

OK, there should be enough in there that I can get flamed from BOTH sides of the subject. :D I just fall somewhere in the middle I guess. To each there own. I'll never dis' anyone for their choices...but I will call out a friend if they are a poser, as you all should. :biggthump

..aaaaaaand discuss.

I'm not going to get into specifics but most farmers are not getting rich unless they are part of the major meat companies

what happens is the biggest companies artificially drive down the price of meat at key times to make small farmers sell out

look at the new tagging program that is sponsored by the big corporations, I would have to tag every animal that I have with RF chips and get all sorts of crazy paperwork for each animal be it a hog, chicken or bovine but JR Simplot would only have to tag one animal per herd

there is so much more to it and I don't feel like getting into it right now but I'm certified agriculture activist :D

Bob, Exactly right. Somewhat similar to a Walmart coming into a small community and all the mom and pop hardware stores, etc. having a hard time of competing. Even more so perhaps because, as you point out, the prices can be manipulated.

To clarify, I wasn't saying the farmers were getting rich with the subsidies (in actuallity, most barely scrape by). All I was saying is if the profit were to remain the same without the subsidies, the prices would have to go up considerably. I think we are on the same page on this.

Background: We (my folks) lost our hog farm in the early 80s when the bottom of the market dropped out. We had just built a couple extra farrowing barns and a long-pen barn (keep in mind this was a small operation) and the drop of the market killed us. My dad started driving over-the-road semi to try and help pay our loans while we ran the farm. After almost two years of low hog prices, we couldn't get back on top of it. Subsidies might of saved us. Then again, maybe not. We just picked a really unfortunate time to expand a bit. If our timing hadn't been off, we would have made it through alright.

• 3 weeks later...