Note to New Members ×

heel and bottom of foot pain

snowboardfast

Anyone out there having problems with heel pain and pain in the bottom of your feet? If so were you able to figure out the cause? My heels and the bottom of my feet hurt really bad when I am riding. I had to quit today becuse of it. Am using insoles with a Deluxe Susuka boot and either Catek or Bomber td1 bindings. I went to a boot fitter and they thought it might be because of the bindings. I have never had this problem before. I can't continue to ride like this because I am concerned about doing some damage. The boots have a thermoflex liner and seem to fit pretty well. It usually takes a while before they start to hurt.

What kind of footbed to you have?

I have had achiness along the bottom of my arches since I was a softbooter, but it can defiantly be worse in my hardboots. I used a Comformable semi-cutom footbed that helped more then the Downunders I was on, but didn't sure it. I just purchased some Surefoot fully customs, and hope that helps with the rest. I do think overtightning my boots has been a problem, especially over the arch for me.

Are you using Intec? I found them harsher on my heels. Another option might be the Bomber urethane heel and toe pads for a little extra give. How long have you been hard booting? I find that it gets better over the season as my feet get stronger.

I am using custom insoles molded to my foot. Started with a thin sock and now am using a thicker one as my feet were moving a little bit due to liners packing out. I might use my cork custom insoles to get a little tighter fit next time. Also was using intec today. I am going to scrap that idea as I have been using standard bails and like them better. Might have to give the polyurethane heels a try.Thanks for the tips. I am not going to give up.

If they they are a recent purchase and you are switching to thicker socks already, then they might be too big. As Mr E and Thor sugested overtightening buckles can hurt the bottom of your feet. It has taken me years and several pairs of boots to appreciate how tight new boots need to be to get a good fit when they finally pack in. I now look for a good tight fit in very thin liner type socks when boots are new. It is so hard to accept that your new boots are not going to work out and another new pair are needed.

BobD

take a look at Aline footbeds http://www.aline.com/Default.aspx?Page=wFootBed

I was at the premier for TGR's Anomaly ski movie friday night and had a chance to chat these guys up and get fitted on thier little laser guided sizing machine. the guy that came up with the design, Gordo Hay, is a master boot fitter and really knows his stuff

There's no reason why your feet should hurt/ache if you're fitted properly.

I've always run Peterson orthotics but I think Aline is the future for footbeds.

$50-order online but you have to go to a ski shop to get fitted.

Did the shell test at Bomber and is the right one. I just sold a pair of 27's as they were too big and am now down to a 26 which was so tight at first that I could barely tighten the buckles down on the first notch I doubt I could fit into a 25. When I wore them around the house my whole foot would be red after about 20 minutes so I know they were tight which is good. Now they are a little loose. Isn't there another moldable liner on the market that is better than a thermoflex? I have ridden these boots for5 days now. I think that both the shell and the liner stretch out as the boots break in .

I get pain through my toes and along the outside of my foot, but I know that this is because my boots were used, and the person I bought them off had a wider foot than me. So I have to crank the buckles to stop sliding around, and then I get the pain after a couple of hours. So buckling too tight might be part of the problem ...

I've had similar problems with hikers in the past (pressure spots on the ball of the foot and the bottom of the heel) and I've found that footbeds do nothing to help. I tried all sorts in my current hikers (which were REALLY bad) and went back to the standard ones in the end. ..

Is it maybe worth getting the thermos molded again? If you explain the problem that you're having to a good shop, maybe they can arrange some packing/padding in strategic places when they mold?

take a look at Aline footbeds http://www.aline.com/Default.aspx?Page=wFootBed

I was at the premier for TGR's Anomaly ski movie friday night and had a chance to chat these guys up and get fitted on thier little laser guided sizing machine. the guy that came up with the design, Gordo Hay, is a master boot fitter and really knows his stuff

There's no reason why your feet should hurt/ache if you're fitted properly.

I've always run Peterson orthotics but I think Aline is the future for footbeds.

$50-order online but you have to go to a ski shop to get fitted.

Please post an update when you've ridden with these in your boots, ok?

Sounds like your boots are too narrow near the heel. Or it could be that the boot is too narrow at the heel and your footbeds aren't providing enough support to your feet.

When I first started hardbooting I had excruciating pain under my feet. The pain ended up being caused by my boots being too narrow around the knuckles of my feet (I'm sure that's not the proper name for that part of the anatomy, but you know what part I'm talking about. :)

Some footbeds and stretching of the boot shell fixed the problem.

'later...

I saw that article . It better work good as it costs 400.00. I wil be ready to ride in 2 weeks also am going to get some fitting done this week I hope. I plan on going riding this Thurs and Sunday If my feet don't hurt too much. Dec 4-10? I could ride Wensday and Sunday that week Dec 6 and Dec 10. let me know which days you will be available. Ice that shin so that you don't get a bone spur. You might want to try 6 degrees in the rear leg if you are still getting shin bang.

Anyone out there having problems with heel pain and pain in the bottom of your feet? If so were you able to figure out the cause? My heels and the bottom of my feet hurt really bad when I am riding.

Your solution is Larry at Larry's Boot Fitting in Boulder. DO NOT waist your time with anyone else! :nono: Larry has been discussed at length in other threads. He fits most of the US National Team, people travel from all over the country to have Larry fit their boots, etc... I used to work in the industry and worked with other full-time "boot fitters," their abilities do not even come close to Larry's. He has been fitting for longer than I have been alive (and I am not that young).

Here is his contact info. He works by appointment only.

Larrys Boot Fitting

2709 Spruce St

Boulder, CO 80302

(303) 402-6733

I went to a boot fitter and they thought it might be because of the bindings.

This person does not know what they are doing! Do not waist your time or $$ with them.

Go to Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had him fit my boots two weekends ago (new liners). The first ride after the fit, I adjusted one buckle one time during 12-15 runs I made. I was in heaven! Before the fit I would adjust at least once per run and still be in agony.

Just in case I did not get my point across the first two times, DO NOT waist your time with anyone else!

[rant off] :D

I agree with bartron, you potentially have a shell width issue. A too-narrow shell could keep your foot bed from sitting flat on the bottom of the shell which would in turn keep your foot from laying properly on the foot bed - ouch.

I hesitate to believe whoever tried to blame it on your bindings. I can't imagine how you would get pressure from a Catek/Bomber binding through the boot. Now, if they meant to say that the way you've got them canted and lifted is responsible, well that could be - in my early season of carving I certainly experienced some discomfort in several areas of my body while experimenting with cant and lift.

Guest shrederjen

Just in case I did not get my point across the first two times, DO NOT waist your time with anyone else! (sorry DT, I did not get your quote quite right)

I want to go see Larry!!! Thanks for the info......

I am assuming that he does custom insoles??

SBF...Sunday might work. Ill be at the "Boat" for Dec 4-8. Can ride till 2:30pm on Sunday. Then, gotta start my commute.. :) Ive got it down to 6 1/2 hours with no traffic or weather!

If you have switched to a thicker sock after molding this is even more likely the case. Over tightening of the boot will reduce the flow of blood to parts of your foot causing a great deal of pain as the tissue becomes oxygen starved. this is why it happens over time and not immediately upon putting the boots on. It will also happen more on the chair when you aren't moving and flexing your feet. It is a fit problem if you feel they have to be that tight to maintain control. I would suggest starting by remolding the inserts without tightening them completely. Say one notch less than you would like to ride them. Be sure and mold with the same sock you will ride in. when you wear them don't tighten them down until they warm up and stabilize. they will be stiff when you first put them on and more prone to cause problems. once the muscle is starved of oxygen it will hurt even if you get the boots right, unless you take them off massage them and start over. If that doesn't work see the good advice above on a good boot fitter

I agree with bartron, you potentially have a shell width issue. A too-narrow shell could keep your foot bed from sitting flat on the bottom of the shell which would in turn keep your foot from laying properly on the foot bed - ouch.

I hesitate to believe whoever tried to blame it on your bindings. I can't imagine how you would get pressure from a Catek/Bomber binding through the boot. Now, if they meant to say that the way you've got them canted and lifted is responsible, well that could be - in my early season of carving I certainly experienced some discomfort in several areas of my body while experimenting with cant and lift.

cateks can flex the entire boot if they are adjusted to tight. If you have to fight to get the buckle closed that might be a problem. I saw a set of cateks literally bend the whole bottom of the boot enough to see it happen when they were buckling them on. I wouldn't be suprised if bombers were capable of the same thing. price we pay for bulletproof:eplus2:

Now, if they meant to say that the way you've got them canted and lifted is responsible, well that could be - in my early season of carving I certainly experienced some discomfort in several areas of my body while experimenting with cant and lift.

Same here. I had my bindings canted outwards (unintentionally), and that caused pain on the sides of my feet. Very uncomfortable.

Perhaps someone can recommend a good bootfitter in Boulder. :)

'later...

Isn't there another moldable liner on the market that is better than a thermoflex?

Blasphemy!!! But seriously...I would bet that you're over-tightening your instep buckle, especially where you have custom 'beds. I reccomend talking to a doctor and (if your insurance will cover it) see about getting some x-rays taken- foot in boot, boot in binding. An x-ray would tell you alot about any alignment problems you may be having inside the boot. Just my $0.02. Another option would be to talk to a good boot fitter. Look at Skimag.com for the top 100 boot fitter's list and talk to someone close by. By that same token, don't rule out a fitter that isn't listed. I go to the Startingate in VT, and the guy who does my boots managed to get my size 30 feet into a 26.5 boot, and he isn't listed. The list gives a good place to start though. Good luck!

see about getting some x-rays taken- ...boot in binding. An x-ray would tell you alot about any alignment problems you may be having inside the boot.

:lol: Or it might just show you what pieces of aluminum (base plate, toe sub-assembly and heel sub-assembly) and stainless steel (bails), all of which are more dense than bone, will look like with maybe the tips of a couple toes extending off the end.

Sorry, just had to say it. :ices_ange

The person that said my bindings might be at fault was refering to the fact that I might be getting some heel pain due to the fact that there is not enough dampening in the binding. I still think it is a boot fit issue and I am going to try the polyurethane heels as well.The td 2's are a less harsh binding to ride than td1. At least that is what I am told.Boot fit first than binding.Again thanks for the tips. Will give report when the issue is fixed.