Note to New Members ×

Graphite vs. Non-Graphite Dominator Wax

Enzo

I'm stocking up on wax and looking at the Dominator Renew Zoom Base Care and Zoom Thermoactive. Is there any noticeable performance difference between the Graphite vs non-graphite versions? Price is the same through Artech. FWIW, I don't race so I'd like to keep things simple. I just want my Coilers to be happy.

with the graphite the idea is that it replenishes the graphite that your base has lost from riding and waxing with nongraphite wax

it's what I use for a prep wax after a grind or if my base is not holding wax well because I have not been taking as good of care of my board as I should have been

it does seem to help

3 types of waxes for 3 types of friction:

dry: hydrocarbon

wet: add fluoro

static: add graphite

reasons why not to:

fluoro: toxic fumes.

graphite: it stains the base grey (unless your base is black)

if conditions are very dry (close to 0% humidity) then hydrocarbon waxes are ideal. the higher the humidity, the more fluoro is needed to perform to the wax's highest potential. As for static... your board is constantly moving across the snow, constanly creating static, so graphite is always ideal. I'm not sure how much friction static contributes compared to the other elements involved, but riders use it with great results so it must be worth it. If you dont want to make your clean white base look dirty, then stay away from graphite. otherwise its great.

Get the graphite, but make sure if you are hotscrapping with it (renew zoom graphite) that you get it all out because it will clog up your boards poars if you leave it in there. Another reason not to add fluoro would be it costs a lot and that it is not good for you base, if you race with it, hotscrape it out of your base asap afterwords. The more you wax with hydrocarbon the faster your board will get.

The all temperature dominator hydrocarbon with graphite is amazing and it is very very hard which is good for cold but also seems to do great in warm conditions

Thanks for the responses. I went with the graphite. Props to www.artechski.com !! Best prices for Dominator Wax on the web plus they're running a 5% discount this month. The more I read, it seems the Dominator Zoom series wax is the simplest and most cost effective formula for high performance. Can't wait to try it out on snow.

Thanks for the responses. I went with the graphite. Props to www.artechski.com !! Best prices for Dominator Wax on the web plus they're running a 5% discount this month. The more I read, it seems the Dominator Zoom series wax is the simplest and most cost effective formula for high performance. Can't wait to try it out on snow.

Just curious which you ordered. The "Dominator Graphite Zoom Thermoactive Wax"?

RenewZoom, Hyperzoom, and HZ paste are my waxes of choice... because my peers would scorn me for dirtying my base with graphite. If it wasnt for me they wouldnt even know what wax is (i get paid to do their wax work:cool: ) Isnt it funny how kids will mess up a topsheet, sometimes even on purpose to match their jeans, but cradle their p-tex like it was their own newborn child?

Enzo, do you know if https://www.artechski.com has a storefront in Enfield, NH ? It looks like they're right off 91 near Lebanon. Good deals on files too.

I think they work out of their garage/workshop so they don't exactly have a legit storefront. I've never been myself, but I do have a friend who knows them. He coaches a HS school ski team and he's stopped in many times to pick up supplies. He said it's crazy...like a candy store!! My buddy wasn't sure if they accept walk- ins, so give 'em a call.