Note to New Members ×

Home-made Tuning Rack

Gtanner

Ok so sometimes I can be a little cheap. I'm wondering if anyone has tried and succeeded in making a tuning rack for their boards/skis? I don't mean a storage rack, I mean something that you can mount on your bench to wax/sharpen your gear.

Now don't go flamming me on just going out and spending $150 on a proper one made by swix or toko, I just wanted to know if I could make something myself prior to putting down the big V-card.

Let me know,

gord

Portable or fixed?

I have a portable tuning bench. Its essentially similar to one they sell at Reliable Racing, only mine cost me $24.50, not $99. At Home Depot they sell folding, metal sawhorses with adjustable legs. You have to look kind of hard for them, I don't think they sell a whole lot of them. Mine is yellow. I took that and bought a scrap piece of pressboard from their scrap pile (about 3/4" thick, 10-12" wide and maybe 5.5' long. I screwed that to the top of the saw horse and voila, instant portable bench. I adjusted the legs up a bit so I don't kill my back working on the skis. I can fold it up and take it with me whenever I need it (like a few weeks ago when I took it down to AlpineDad's house so we could storage wax our quivers). It is reasonably stable (not as stable as a permanent one) and works fine.

I use the ski man snowboard vise for both skis and boards. The big platform can hold wide skis no problem. I don't do a lot of work myself that requires the skis or boards to be really locked down so it works well for me. Mostly I do basic repairs, edge filing and waxing - probably 95% is just waxing.

Here's the sawhorse I have. Home Depot calls it a "Crawford 38 In. Adjustable Height Folding Steel Sawhorse"

165051_3.jpg

Gord, I just made some T's out of 2X4's and stapled the rubberized shelf liner to the tops. I lay my board on it and it almost sticks to the liner. Works really well.

DSCN4815.jpg

It sure is cheap fix and it works really well for edge shapening and waxing. I mounted them in some old toko vices and can slide them apart for different sized boards or skis. You could screw them to the edge of your bench or make some Pegs and drill holes to hold them in your work table.

Now that's one of the best ideas I've seen for a bench, and even better because it's multiuse. I'll bet if you put an additional leg off the T's that rested against the edge of the bindings it would keep the slippage factor down and decrease the flex of the center of the board as you're scrapping and filing.

Gtanner

no reason to spend $150, and honestly...there are products available that make taking the time to make one a bad idea.

unless you just want to

I own this setup:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SNOWBOARD-WAX-TUNING-VISE-VICE-VISES-VICES_W0QQitemZ190052325160QQihZ009QQcategoryZ62170QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"Target =new>Here</a>

and it works perfectly.

email the seller and see if theyll flex on price.