Note to New Members ×

Disney........ BLAH!!!!!

Chubz

Just got back from Disney with my wife and four year old. Great weather, but please let it snow here in PA, Mickey ba-lows :barf: . Not having been there in about 30 years, I had greater expectations and about the only way I will go back is if they let me be Tinkerbell on the zipline at Magic Kingdom before the fireworks. Hell even my kid was bored except for Buzz Lightyear (Hint :Highest point value is hitting the spinning disc on top of the saucer in the volcano room 100,000.) don't get me wrong i'm sure some of you enjoy it, but it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Looks like its time to suit the boy for some winter fun so we can veto Mommy for next season's vacation. If anyone has suggestions of resorts that offer good riding, stuff for a non-riding mom and half decent for younger kids, please let me know, so I can start my campaign for next year.

Don't believe the hype and be wary of the difference between theme park and amusement park. If you're looking to get at least a few shots of adrenaline thru the day head elsewhere, not Mickey's big house of product in your face fun.

Damn rodent.

Hate to sound sour , but I'm glad to be home.

Just got back from Disney with my wife and four year old. Great weather, but please let it snow here in PA, Mickey ba-lows :barf: . Not having been there in about 30 years, I had greater expectations and about the only way I will go back is if they let me be Tinkerbell on the zipline at Magic Kingdom before the fireworks. Hell even my kid was bored except for Buzz Lightyear (Hint :Highest point value is hitting the spinning disc on top of the saucer in the volcano room 100,000.) don't get me wrong i'm sure some of you enjoy it, but it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Looks like its time to suit the boy for some winter fun so we can veto Mommy for next season's vacation. If anyone has suggestions of resorts that offer good riding, stuff for a non-riding mom and half decent for younger kids, please let me know, so I can start my campaign for next year.

Don't believe the hype and be wary of the difference between theme park and amusement park. If you're looking to get at least a few shots of adrenaline thru the day head elsewhere, not Mickey's big house of product in your face fun.

Damn rodent.

Hate to sound sour , but I'm glad to be home.

Hate it too, but there were two things that rocked about it.

one: I got the maximum possible score in buzz lightyear (999,999 points) on my side of the car and then went on to beat everyone else with the other side too (632,894 points) because i had my own car.

two: private surf lessons at typhoon lagoon. it was amazing having all those waves to myself, it only took about 2 tries to really get the hang of it. If anybody else on this site is planning on going down there, I highly reccomend typhoon lagoon's surf program.

Chubz, I missed ya!!! I have been here since Saturday and we will be here 'til this coming Saturday.

I would not come here for myself. My two and a half year old is having so much fun that it brings tears to my eyes. I am here with my whole family (bro's fam, sis' fam, and parents) we're having a ball. I can see how people would not like it though.

I like Epcot myself. The stunt show at MGM was dope too.

I thought that MGM was pretty fun, the Magic Kindgom sucked, Universal was cool but wicked expensive, and that Epcott was possibly the coolest thing this side of a world's fair. I liked Epcott from a purely anthropological standpoint though, although the Test Track was pretty neat. I just liked the fact that there were so many vastly different cultures within walking distance of each other.

To anyone from this site thinking of visiting the Magic Kingdom: consider visiting the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont instead (its a big friggin area of NOTHING), it will be much cheaper and more enjoyable. Just stay out of NH ;) .

YMMV. Took my kids a few years ago when they were 7 & 9, and we all had a blast. We packed lunches each day and saved a ton of money, not sure why more people don't do that (seemed like we were the only ones). We were there in November, hardly any lineups so that helps with the having fun. The rides at Disney are generally pretty tame, though - had more thrills at Universal.

Man, there are a lot of fat people at US theme parks. It's kind of depressing to see people pushing an 8 year old around in a cart because he's too fat/lazy to walk. Our kids were so amped we were hard put to keep an eye on them as they ran here and there. And what's with all the deep-fried turkey leg stands?

The trip to Kennedy space centre was the highlight of our Florida trip for me.

Yeah, I just went to Disneyland a few months ago. The place is definitely not about adrenaline. That Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters ride or whatever it's called was a hoot - we probably ran that 7-8 times.

The rest of it was less exciting, but it was still really cool if you are into seeing really well designed sets, animatronics, etc. I don't know what they call the stuff, but the themed stuff they dress around the place where you wait in the line to the actual ride on some of the newer rides (like the Indiana Jones ride, or Buzz Lightyear), like the 8 foot tall fully animatronic Buzz Lightyear with the backlit, animated, 3D face, etc.. are pretty neat if you are paying attention.

I thought the new Pirates of the Caribbean was boring until it opened up into the ship/coastal-battery battle set. The combination of being really low to the water and the lighting and fog made the miniature ships and set look almost full size and pretty neat.

Definitely not as magical as I remember as a kid. Also, way, way smaller than I remember (or is Disneyland much smaller than Disneyworld?) The old rides that I remember from when I was a kid seemed pretty old.

Also, the new fastpass system is super awesome.

The absolute worst thing was this big building, I forget what it was called, but it was sort of a free-exploration science museum- I think it was "Innoventions"? It was like a small, bad, cheap science museum except you started out listening to some guy basically advertise a PDA. Gah, I don't want to hear a sales pitch at a ride at Disneyland.

Good input, I didnt even think to run it by all of you figuring most carvers are bit older with kids.

I go back down in September with my company. I only get one day to do stuff, so I may get some guys on my work team to rent a ski boat and give them some wakeboard and ski lessons and for those silly enough I let try barefootin'. I'll go first and do some deep water starts with some tumble turns and one footin and then yank some of my coworkers aroundon the learner boom.

i did that with some classmates back in grad school. One guy who was quite an egomaniac got out on the boom like he was going to be doing tumble turns right out of the holeshot and he refused to let go of the boom. I have never seen a human being porpoise so high off the water for such a long distance. I told him not to try and plant the feet until I gave him the thumbs up, but he kept trying to stand up too early and his feet would just dig in and he would porpoise, I wish I had the video for youtube, too damn funny

I may goto a cable park I saw on the way back to the airport.

The package we had didnt include water parks, plus I lopped the tip of my left index finger off 4 days before we left so I couldnt get wet. I did it cutting sidewall material for the board I'm building.

Any ski resorts you folks recommend for winter time fun for the family. by that time I will have a 5 year old and a two year old.

Any ski resorts you folks recommend for winter time fun for the family.

smuggler's notch VT! rated the best family vacation destination in ski magazine... I love the place. It has some of the most intense terrain in VT. the liftline on madonna mountain varies in steepness between about 60 and 90 degrees... nearly **** myself going up the lift the first time. Needless to say i did not ride the liftline, but the other runs they had to offer are most excellent! the beginner area is great too... actually i should say the beginner mountain is great, because moorse mountain is set up perfectly for progression. it was the only place my little brother has ever enjoyed riding... and he's too stubborn to learn how to ride well so basically its good for even the hopeless riders.

There is one thing you have to look out for though: while everything on moorse mountain i would give a green circle, the unloading ramp (at the top, not the mid station) i would have to give a black diamond! last year it was steep, long, and people fell all over it in front of you. hold your children tight getting off this!

my two cents,

-steve

When I was an instructor at Sugarloaf in Maine, we'd have an annual meeting with the president of the company. He'd tell us how they were in direct competition for vacation dollars with Disney World, and that we need to think about that and make sure the paying guests get their money's worth.

So, if you're looking for a destination ski resort in the east, Sugarloaf is hard to beat. They consistently get high marks for kid friendliness from Snowcountry mag and others, and the terrain is tops. However there's not a week's worth of entertainment for non-skiers. More like 3 nights worth.

I go back down in September with my company. I only get one day to do stuff, so I may get some guys on my work team to rent a ski boat and give them some wakeboard and ski lessons and for those silly enough I let try barefootin'. I'll go first and do some deep water starts with some tumble turns and one footin and then yank some of my coworkers aroundon the learner boom.

Chubz, you brought back some fond memories of my footin' days, long line and boom action. It was always great to teach a newbie how to foot, see them bounce off the water a few times. Once they were footin' their feet would be so far out in front the spray would go forward off their feet and back in their faces at 40 mph.

My buddy had a "barefoot nautique" remember those? It put out a great wake for footing, not good for a ski boat though. I did some footin' last fall, I was doin some tumble turns and one footers, I felt good then I got cocky and tried a one foot, front to back, I got caught up in the transition and went down hard, gave myself a great whiplash. Damn, water is hard at 40 mph.

two: private surf lessons at typhoon lagoon. it was amazing having all those waves to myself, it only took about 2 tries to really get the hang of it. If anybody else on this site is planning on going down there, I highly reccomend typhoon lagoon's surf program.

I'm going to FL tomorrow. I'll have to check out the surf program. How much did you pay? I watched a YouTube vid and these guys paid $1300 for 100 waves at Typhoon Lagoon! That's too much for a chest high mushburger.

I'm hitting the Orlando Watersports Complex on Sat. Renting a wakeboard boat for 3 hrs. I'll be wakeboarding and wakesurfing. No barefoot for me - sounds too hazardous. I'll probably do the cable park later in the week.

Will also do a bunch of shooting at my friend's property and maybe get in some paintball and airsoft games.

I will reluctantly do Universal Studios.

We hit up Cirque du Soleil tonight and it was unreal. They even had bike trials and flatland pros in their show. That was sweet. That was my first Cirque du Soleil experience, but it won't be my last.

La Nouba was great!

Corteo was even better though... at least i thought:biggthump

We saw La Nouba. Where is Corteo?

It's a touring show, where it stops is posted here http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/default.htm

It was a little different, but the music combined with a sort of story line and some really cool acrobatics made it great. The acrobatics in La Nouba were better, but I liked everything else about Corteo more.

Ohh, and if you're considering watching delirium, i wouldnt reccomend it. Loud, constant, techno-ish music throughout the entire show, with very little acrobatic visual entertainment. They had some wierd things projected on screens, but not a lot of stunts and such. It dissapointed me all-around, which surprised me because i like the music they encorporate into their shows.

gdboytyler, the 100 waves thing is a surf party program where you can rent out the lagoon for 100 waves, the style of your choice, for after park hours. The surf lesson program is before park hours, with instructors and such. the learn to surf program is not as expensive as the 100 wave party. I dont exactly remember the price, but i think it was around $200. I enjoyed it, but an accomplished surfer would probably be very bored.

Did you guys hear about this? When I took my kids to Disney in 2005, I told my three kids to Watch Out for Tiger! Follow up story http://www.local6.com/news/3616080/detail.html

The whole Magic Kingdom blows :barf::argue::barf: crying babys, huge strollers, junk food, $$$

We had a way better time next door at California Adventure. I enjoyed snapping digital pics of Mullet men, women and children. I had a ton of mullet shots, ha ha more than family pics.

Disney was fine when I was a kid, but it needs a huge makeover and price reduction to make it fun again.

--Hugh