Note to New Members ×

Inward Canting?

Pow

I've reviewed the information on this site, and tried the search function (way too many results to find exactly what i need) and decided that i still need some help. Appearently outward canting is the way to go, but inward canting has and does feel better for me than outward canting. what problems might occur with inward canting and should i cant my bindings outward despite the lower level of comfort it brings me?:confused:

please help!!

-steve

I've reviewed the information on this site, and tried the search function (way too many results to find exactly what i need) and decided that i still need some help. Appearently outward canting is the way to go, but inward canting has and does feel better for me than outward canting. what problems might occur with inward canting and should i cant my bindings outward despite the lower level of comfort it brings me?:confused:

please help!!

-steve

I think outward canting is mainly for people who are bowlegged (i.e. if you stand with you feet together, you leg bow out so that your knees are a few inches apart).

I read Jack's article that suggested outward canting. He suggested outward cant on the back foot. I knew that wasn't for me after half a run but since I was in a patient and experiemneting mood that day I tried it for about 3 hours. Let's just say that my toeside / heelside balnace was even more towards toeside than usual.

I prefer no canting on the back foot - which jibes very well with Bruce's article since I am pretty much straight legged. I use 3* of heel lift with my TD2s.

I also find I carve best with a totally flat front foot - 0* disk. "It just works". I've read everything the experts have to say here and tried it to see what it would do for me, and even stuck with 3* cants (in various combinations - all lift, inward cant, outward cant) for a full season and guess what - none of it helped me. Probably has something to do with my body structure. My right/back leg is about 1.5 cm shorter than the front, and my hips are already arthritic at age 36. Yet I can ride pretty darn well (for someone with my body issues) with my preferred stance as described above.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on stances - however my point is that it is very much a personal thing. What works for others may not work for you.

Yes, you have to do what works for you. My article here http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/canting.cfm says "outward cant to the back foot may sound strange, but it can be a real eye-opener for anyone who is not knock-kneed." So it is NOT commanding you to use it, just try it. The article espouses personal preference, and that is definitely what canting is all about. I've actually settled on a stance that involves toe lift and inward canting on the front foot and heel lift and outward canting on the rear foot.

Mike, I think your front leg being 1.5cm longer explains why you like a flat front foot!

Thanks everyone for all your help! I will continue to ride with the angles that feel right... I was worried that there might be something wrong with my riding style and that It should be more comfterble with outward canting (after all, what feels like great riding to me might actually look like **** to everyone else). I'm looking forward to getting the season started over here, and hope to see you all out on the mountains!

-steve

edit: ohh, and I might as well add that since i now have my TD2s, Im shocked at how low they sit on the board, despite the suspension system! from the pictures i really expected them to be much higher. for those of you who love that "on the board feel", bombers aren't too far off.

Mike, I think your front leg being 1.5cm longer explains why you like a flat front foot!

I could get pretty much the same leg-length-compensating effect with 3/6 as I do with 0/3... however I did much better with 0/3.

The outward cant thing *was* a real eye-opener for me... to the fact that my heelside needed (and probably still needs) a lot more work than my toeside :eek:

A few friends of mine and I used to cant both bindings inwards (toward the center of the board) as much as possible. The idea was to bring our knees together on heelside turns and drive the back knee into the back of the front one. On toeside turns the driving was done with both knees still together. I stopped inward canting almost ten years ago because my knees would be sore after a hard days ride and more importantly I started seperating them on toeside turns. If you ride with the intention of driving your turns with knees together, I think inward cants are the way to go. If not and you like to seperate your knees, you probably shouldn't do it. I now ride flat with no lifts or cants.