Cypress about to open

BlueB

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No you were not hallucinating, for those that know what Dave* looks like with helmet off that really was me at my scruffy best with the soundbite on the weather channel

The weather lady snuck up on my blindside and while distracted with her the camera guy got me from the other side, they got me like a pride of lions takes down a water buffalo on discovery channel.

I just bought a ski card @Cypress, too bad I also have a season pass @Grouse. I will continue to ride my freeride at Grouse and start learning to carve @Cypress. Since I'm a rookie on carving you'll find me in the easy runs for sure. I'ts easy to recognize me with Grinder 168 like Boris'. SE Asian descent(Filipino).

CU guys,

ruwi

Latest News @ Cypress Mountain...

"With all of the amazing snow Cypress has accumulated in the last week, we plan to open for the 2006/2007 Winter Season on Thursday November 16th for day operations from 9am until 4pm. This will be the 3rd earliest opening in Cypress history! "

http://www.cypressmountain.com

I wandered up there( Cypress) for a few hours this afternoon from about 1230 to 1530 before work to get my first turns of the season.

Coverage thin, was foggy, my legs are out of shape, about 1-2 runs open, always good to make the first turns of the year.

As to weather channel they tagged me in pacific boarder

Dave*

Dave*, myself, and Ruwi later on, all felt the consequences of being lazy over the summer. My legs are shot, but hey, so happy!

Both sides of the mountain had chair lifts running but only green cruisers were open. Patrolers are still fencing off the rest of the runs. I guess tomorrow the blue runs would open.

Snow was decent for carving, wet from the light rain in the morning and then some fresh, all compacted by the crowd, later a bit chopped. Thin cover, but no rocks. Crowd was medium. All in all, good day in the office.

I took out 4807 (couldn’t resist the urge to try the new toy). In the beginning it felt strange, like a real pig, wide and slow to get onto edge. Nose is soft and tail stiff, but it holds the edge! Actually when I figured out that I needed to really commit to the carve, transition by cross-under and ride centered without pushing much, it was really nice. Carved even on the early afternoons chop! Actually, it is rather easy to throw some ECs on it, especially on toe side. Well, so far I’m impressed, bloody thing carved way better then I expected. Oh, yeah, it certainly caused a lot of comments, mostly good ones, like “whoa, speed demon”, “is that very fast”, “sweet board”, “swallowtail”, “do you do a lot of heli?” and then most interesting one “carving board?” Now I need some serious powder to really see what this baby can do…

For few runs I switched to my old Generics, with TD2s on for the first time. Well, that was less impressive… With my ski boots, TD2s felt ubber stiff, and very little dampening, even with the yellow rings. I really sucked on heel sides… I guess it will taks some times to get used.

Ruwi was on his Hooger, same as my old board. Spotted it straight away on the racks and left him a note. He found me on the hill later, after Dave was gone.

Rob, a softbooter I know from last season rode with us for a while. Good tricks, and good carving. He can throw a non-recovered EC on toe side. Hopefully I’ll convert him to the Dark Side this year.

I’m teaching tomorrow, but I can not foresee big crowd, so I’ll have plenty of hours off to play. I think that 4x4 will get some slope time.

Boris

Henry, nothing to be too jalous about. Today wind gusted 100k and strong rain kept mountain closed... If it went on like this it would mean total melt down :( Pacific North West at its best...

Make sure you let us know when heading to Whistler. Keep in mind that we'll have WES, probably after New Year.

Boris and Cypress Crew,

See you this Thursday evening maybe, I'll be heading up there for my first go of night skiing.

I did a backcountry recon up Cypress yesterday, on my Verts and lugging up a Winterstick 165 Severe Terrain with my plastic Koflach climbing boots.

The powder off of the Sky Chair is knee to waist high, but it's starting to really get sloppy- you just have to point it to get a head of speed, then rip some long arc GS turns to keep the nose above the slop.

George

The Monday Cypress report

Was up from 0900 to 1230, clear in the city, very foggy on hill worsening as the day progressed with increasing wind and rain/slush/snow depending on where you were, ( of course it probably cleared up as soon as I left)

On the positive end, the hill was deserted, actually shared a chair once ( and that guy scurried to jump on so he could shoot the s*&t re hardboot gear), the snow was a nice grippy packed wet powder/schmoo with the corduroy ripple on top. They are opening and buffing more runs each day, only chair not running was the sky chair. Coverage still thin but no bare patches yet in the "high traffic" areas. Still hesitant to go off piste due to lack of coverage, boulders and stumps hurt.

Was going to take a few pics but I figured no one wanted to see fog.

Assuming no new overnight will be on the 179 4x4 tomorow.

Dave*

Boris,

Congrats on breaking out the 4807 on the first day :biggthump, also known as the "secret weapon" :AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

It totally hauls on morning soft groomed and carves super well on 2-3" of fresh on top of hard groomed. Afternoon chop is no problem as well. Floats well in deeper powder, but I would suggest reducing your binding angles in deep snow to something more like freeriding. I tried to keep carving angles in the deep snow and my legs could not hold up to the challenge.

My 4807 gets more happy comments than any other board that I ride. Snow isn't ready in Tahoe yet, but soon.

Keep the reports coming...

Your friend in CA,

Hugh

Snowing heavilly all evening... I'm tempted to skip work tomorow...

Hugh, what angles do you ride in deep on 4807? I think I had something like 40-35 or 45-40 all day on Saturday. I probably could go another 5* down, but I was a bit nervous even about the angles this flat...

Ruwi, where you dissapeared on the last run, Saturday?

My carving angles are decided by the width of my board. On the 4807, I'm usually 50/50 or 50/45. I remember last year getting beat up in moderate deep powder with hard bumps underneath. My feet were also taking a beating. Reducing the angles to approx 30/20 felt a lot better. Your new 4x4 also likes some powder :eplus2: I never had to reduce my angles on the 4x4 in pow, in fact it glides better without toe overhang.

If the steeper angles are working for you, experiment away :AR15firin We are always searching for the best glide.

check this out http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/snow/stance.html I just found this today. Cool that he has a BOL link.

Happy turns,

Hugh

On my Winterstick 182 Swallowtail, I have reduced the angles to 40 front, 32 rear - 19.5 inch stance.

It makes a big difference in having a freeride stance on this type of board since I find that you ride it very differently than a carving board- in anything deeper than 6 inches of powder, you float through snow, rather than carve on it.

Sweetness.

George

Boris,

Thanks for the tip. My first day and first carving day was too much on my legs, it hurts so much when we met at Panorama. I have to get fit. I will continue to ride when grouse opens since i have a pass and hope to ride with you when I'm in a better shape at cypress.

ruwi

The wednesday report.

A much nicer day than yesterday ( wind/fog/rain/sleet)

Weaselled out of work after an hour or two, got to hill about 1200hrs, about 10 cms new, hovering around 0 celcius at parking lot, very foggy, nice packed powder on what was left of the groomies, easy to bury the nose if not careful ( had the 79 4x4) , enough snow to get me going off piste, some nice turns in the shrubbery, just have to watch for the odd rock/stump/creek bed etc

Started snowing quite nicely about 1430 hrs and the vis cleared up a bit lower mountain. Tomorrow could be quite good if snow continues.

Rode to about 1530 hours, Took a few photos in the fog, will see if any turn out and post.

Will be back up for a few hours on friday then again on sunday afternoon, Whistler on monday if all goes well.

Dave*