Note to New Members ×

Evolution

Guest carvemaster

Guest carvemaster

Earlier I mentioned some old time photos. Here's a great way to see how carving evolved from the early days. We'll start with a photo from around 1981. Snowmobile boots with Nordica liners, Burton Elite, Mtn High CA, Blue jeans and gators. One of the only snowboards on the mountain back then.

post-210-141842196074_thumb.jpg

Guest carvemaster

Big jump in time to 1991 after having messed around on a Burton Safari and Cruizer. Fortunately for me, I found a Craig Kelly Air at a great price which had plate bindings. At that point in time, I steered off to the world of alpine riding and never went back. Hardshell boots, Steinplatte Austria, still in blue jeans, and still SLIDING through a turn. Lower to the snow though.

post-210-141842196075_thumb.jpg

Guest carvemaster

1992. Picked up my first long board, a Kemper Screamer. There was this girl who kept flying past me and I noticed she had excellent form. I began to mimic her turns and discovered how to CARVE. Never was able to keep up with her though. The Kemper was friggen slow. Note the blue jeans are finally gone and my stance moves closer to what we do today. Garmisch Germany.

post-210-141842196076_thumb.jpg

Guest carvemaster

1993. My last year in Europe. Still on the Kemper, put a bandana on my head (Seemed like everyone was doing it), and found I could touch the snow while carving! Great fun, but I started using up gloves at a faster rate. Garmisch Germany.

post-210-141842196077_thumb.jpg

Guest carvemaster

1998. It finally all comes together. Helmet, same old hardshells, Burton Alp asym, Mtn High CA. Took a long break since then, but I'm ready to get back on the snow this year with some new boots from the fine people at bomber. Also picked up an old but new Sims carve II. Can't wait to see how a non asym board handles. Hope you enjoyed this look into the past. I'm sure most here have the same memories.

Carvemaster

post-210-141842196078_thumb.jpg

Awwwyeah!!! Was that the Performer Elite with the skeg in the middle? I had one of those in like 87-88 (first board just before I bought my Mystery Air) what a board...flex we don't need no stinkin' flex. Oh and the fas-tex wbbing for bindings...totally radical dude!

Awwwyeah!!! Was that the Performer Elite with the skeg in the middle? I had one of those in like 87-88 (first board just before I bought my Mystery Air) what a board...flex we don't need no stinkin' flex. Oh and the fas-tex wbbing for bindings...totally radical dude!

Originally posted by Rusty

That was also my first board. Loved the 5 minutes spent adjusting those webbing/fastex bindings, especially as the webbing got wet and stretched. It was also a joy pulling those helicoils right out of the foam while halfway down Great Divide at Sunshine.

My history (guessing at the dates):

85 - Burton Elite 150 - fastex/webbing with hiking boots

87 - Sims 1710 Blade - plastic strap highbacks (ouch), sorels with old ski boot liners

90 - Gnu Race Room 178 - Elfgen plates, Koflach Snowboarders (Damian!)

94 - Burton Asym Air 164 - Race plates, Koflachs then Raichle 224

00 - Prior 4WD 165 - Intec RS step-in, Raichle 224s

Niel, could not ghet true to your email so i vill try dis vay. We are spending da veek in Banff from Jan 24th true die Jan 31st, we have 6 people carvers from Das Cleveland coming and maybe 2 from Buffalo if day ghet off dare arses!

Sunshine, and the divide area you talk about when groomed rocks! that place is getting goooood! every chair replaced and a new Standish chair finnaly and wawa chair.

Will see if we can meet up with a huge party perhaps!

Right said Shred

Don't forget to bring your K2 Gyrator, Nitro Diablo,Aggression Stealth(dangerous tail) Santa Cruz AS164, Highlander Freesurf 155, Lib Tech Inner course 5'5" asym(Rare), Kemper Apex, Hooger Booger Next 1, Heavy Tools ASF 154, Sims MFR 157, Generics IQ 161, Apocolypse CAP 161, Apacalypse Race( with that channel groove dat look like it was a dug out cannoe!"What the f$@!#$ was that) Nidecker Extreme 178, F2 Beamer world cup, Wild Duck, ohh the pain..........................ect. wish I kept them all to long to list!

Hmm, did it bounce or did I just ignore you? I've switched to Netscape for mail just for the spam filtering and I suspect all is not perfect yet. As things get closer to Jan, if you want to get in touch with me try my home email (replace the EHs with dots, eh):

gendzwillEHn@sasktelEHnet - it's spam-free right now and I'm trying to keep it that way. My work address is all over the net due to kendo, nothing I can do to de-spam it now.

Anyways I'd really like to make it out for at least part of that, but it requires a consult with my manager. Are you riding on the 24th and 31st or are those travel days?

Guest Pre School Rider

Um,how did you get an '85 vintage Elite back in,uh,'81 when a BACKHILL or BACKYARD was all that Burton made? Moreover,where's the ROPE? Sorry,but I was on Burton's Team East as a racer then,and I do remember a few little details,like that the Burton Tean got Timberland boots to use,we had Backhills,except for Karol,Heingartner,and Bouton,who used the Prototype Performers(not yet the Elite-no P-tex yet...)to race with(btw,Bouton switched back to a Backhill to win at The Nationals 'cause the fins stayed put). If you say that photo is from '85,fine,no issues here.But from someone who has been riding Edged Snowboards since '78,well,call me skeptical.

Guest carvemaster

OK,

You got me. It's been so long, I honestly can't remember when I started riding. That picture with the Elite was probably from around 85, NOT "around 81" as I stated incorrectly. Here's a pic of a Performer I rode earlier. Not sure if you can see it, but the rope holes are up on the nose. If you can tell me what year this one came out, I'll be able to remember my first year. I'm thinking 83 or 84 maybe?

post-210-141842196108_thumb.jpg

Guest carvemaster

Oh no,

I just dug this one up. Remember the Safari? This was taken many years ago in the Southern California mtns, early summer. Anyone else know this spot up Hwy 2? Snowpack used to last all year round.

post-210-141842196109_thumb.jpg

so for ****s and giggles...

at the end of last year, We went into the basement and managed to put together an old elite, complete withthe skeg, but not the webbing bindings. took it out for a spin. What a trip. I never rode one back in the day, but it was cool to see where the sport came from.

We also told a kid that it was a burton prototype for next year, and sent him out it for a review. despite struggling and finnally teaching himself hop turns he said he loved it. I guess that explains why we're all here...

Arc it or Park it...

-Noah

Guest Pre School Rider

Carvemaster,that's an '83-84 Performer! Very,Very respectable in this day of 'Veteran' riders who have a whole 5 years behind them. Oh,and that Safari shot;Anyone wondering about the where your arms are never had to deal with the slight base-bevel at the tail.I can remember many jumps that suddenly 'spun out' due to left over rotation and being on nothing but P-tex at the rear.Actually,that got me This winter when I was dorking around on the Cruzer 165.Nice to ride in the woods,but a bear to carve with on hardpack! I always kinda wished I could put the top guys/gals(Examiners,Staff Trainers)from AASI on the older boards for a day,and see how'd they fare... ;-)

Carvemaster, these are great pictures...

I feel like I've stepped in the wayback machine!!!! Damn I gotta see if my mom has any old pictures.

Ok lets see if I can peer through the green smoke that that has clouded my brain. I had a:

Burton Performer Elite 148

Burton Mystery air (still have it:D )

burton cruiser 165?

Burton Safari ?? (so cool)

Funky Gun 180? (I forget, but it was a large board at the time)

Kemper Aggressor (shark tooth pink and black and oh so early 90's)

Rossi race VAS 178 (purple and black don't know the year)

Rossi Shannon Mulhouse 173

Limited (freeride) 163

Burton fusion

Burton Speed

I know there were a few more after the Kemper but my forgetter is working better than my rememberer...

Beside remebering all thoose silly sticks. I remember Getting those Funkys with your You and Your Mom(was it the Crotched ski swap or somewere silly). For the other little shredders in the house!

I'd love to post a list but I dont have all day!;)

Sure Wish you still had that safari!