Note to New Members ×

Off-Road Lighting

Justin A.

This question goes out to anyone who has auxiliary lighting on their vehicle. I'm going to be putting a light bar on my Jeep, but I can't decide what lighting pattern to go for in regards to the lights. The bar has 6 tabs for mounting, I'm thinking I'll probally mount 4. At this point, I'm leaning towards putting 2 fog pattern lights on the outside tabs and 2 driving pattern lights on the inner tabs. Would I be better served by 4 fogs or 4 drivers? What do you think?

I thought conventional wisdom was to put fog lamps low, with a wide flood pattern to illuminate the road lines better. Then driving lamps near the headlamps, to get more distance with the tight beam pattern to see objects in the roadway. For off-roading, powerful lamps at rooftop level, with a wider beam to illuminate the terrain.

BTW, aircraft landing lamps in cheap 6" housings from JCWhitney make a fine alternative to expensive off-road lighting. They're rumored to nicely illuminate the brain defects in slow drivers, as well.

-jon-

I thought conventional wisdom was to put fog lamps low, with a wide flood pattern to illuminate the road lines better. Then driving lamps near the headlamps, to get more distance with the tight beam pattern to see objects in the roadway. For off-roading, powerful lamps at rooftop level, with a wider beam to illuminate the terrain.

BTW, aircraft landing lamps in cheap 6" housings from JCWhitney make a fine alternative to expensive off-road lighting. They're rumored to nicely illuminate the brain defects in slow drivers, as well.

-jon-

" Avg. life in hours : 25 " Now, that is an awesome deal. Esp @ 20$ ea.

I'd prolly go with some basic Hella 500's. 3 driving/pencil beams and 2 fog/flood beams. :biggthump + they are like 50$ a pair...

I was a bit worried about the average life as well, but I've probably got closer to 200 hours on mine, and they still run fine. I had one burn up right after installation -- I was running them while stationary, and I think it overheated without any cooling air.

And, unless you need to light up a mile of roadway, 250w lamps are totally overkill. Kind of like having a racing board made with titanal world-cup construction to lay out lazy carves under the chair. :)

-jon-

What are the laws on auxillary lights in your state? My renegade has a 4 light -light bar on the roof and piaa lights on the brush guard. The piaa lights are hooked up to my high beams so not concerned with those. As for the light bar on the roof, its illegal in california to drive with those on unless you're off road. It sounds like you go off roading so go with the 4 drivers on the roof. I also wish I had two roof lamps on the back too. Would probably help at night esp w/ tinted glass in the rear.

I think the fog lights should be low like pnwradar said.