Note to New Members ×

Carving a loop??

DiveBomber

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant get a turn tight enough to do a good buttonhole... i always wind up losing too much speed and pulling out... the furthest ive gotten is about 270, then finished the last 90 degrees by jumping around.

I always ended up sliding the last the last 90-120 of it when I tried on my RC though it was usually at the end of the day when my legs were shot...maybe if I try before lunch I might be able to do it...or maybe not :cool:

the only way I can do it is on the heelside, I start out all racer like but by the end I'm layed out like the EC guys

I try toeside but never got all the way

for me if I try to really bend the board at the begining I slip out

this is the only way I can get it to work is by going into the turn easy until I'm headed uphill then at that point if I can really bend the hell out of the board I can do it, sometimes, in a flat spot with soft snow

I could do it both ways at June Mountain, and only on the one run.

It is a steep run which then goes uphill; easiest way is to go into it with a lot of speed, and that way as you are around 180 degrees, you start going back downhill again, which makes it easier to get through the last little bit. It was not harder or easier on heel or toe, the key seems to be to go into an ever tightening carve, as the speed drops, finishing fairly far back onthe board, so you can get a nice tight exit, and of course, the reverse slope makes it easier.

Otherwise, I am like everyone else, about 180 - 270 and the speed runs out to nothing.

Come to MAC Tracks '07. There is a circle carve contest with beginner and expert classes. Last year a soft booter won the expert class.:confused: O.K., he is one of the best soft boot carvers I know, but still...

Anyway, the expert class is supposed to go beyond 360 degrees. Last year, the snow was not right for that - the winner probably did about 450 degrees. In the right snow, it is possible to carve 720 degrees. I have not done that on a board, but I have done it on my SL skis and I know a softbooter who does them. On a board, I have done figure 8's - The practice of which I blame for not trying a 720 yet (that's my story and I'm sticking to it;) ). I have not been able to do the 8 on my SL skis - and I have tried quite a bit.

720's??!!!??? WHAT?!!!???!!

Please, post a film of that and I will send you an honorary CASI Level 5, which will be made specially for you.

I do mine after this cliff I like to hit into a groomed gully. I'll start to lay out as I go up the counterslope of the far side, so when I get to 180, I'm actually going downhill again, rather than up. Like Kipstar described.

When I finish, It's happy time pant explosion, for real.

I got 3 goals first is the circle and keeping going after that second is jump turns with a couple of seconds flight time and third is about t-bar lift rides with a goofy footed girlfriend :)

of which NONE ever happened I managed to do 360 degrees but then I just lie on the slope head down and I seem to not find enough good kickers on an otherwise well groomed slope for a real great jump turns session and they have been replacing t-bar lifts with chair lifts fast but I won't give up

720's??!!!??? WHAT?!!!???!!

Please, post a film of that and I will send you an honorary CASI Level 5, which will be made specially for you.

How much would most resorts pay for a Level V instructor?;)

Would I get that for doing the 7 on skis? Would I get it for doing the figure 8 on a board?

I really want to work on the 7 this year on a board. I will see if I can get footage of somebody doing it who has already been successful.

If you do the second 3, or the other half of the 8 on your tail, ballet-pirouette style at 1 mph, I will revoke your Level 5.

If you can do it on skis, you're not spending enough time on your slab.

The figure 8 is on the whole edge, albeit pretty slow for the last part.

Trust me, I am not on my skis that much compared to the board. The first time I did this, I was demoing volkls at a demo day. I had not really skied much in years. I demo'ed their SL skis and I came to the bottom of the run and did a 360. I realized that I had tons of speed left, so I asked the demo guy for one more run. I came in HOT and went around twice. Two big circles. All of the skiers were applauding. I took the skis over to the demo guy and told him that I had to have a pair. Then I told everyone that I was going back in to get my snowboard.:biggthump