Note to New Members ×

Setting up burton bindings for the first time

dshack

Got myself an ultra prime and some race plates with unicants. The UP is a 162 and I've got about a 26" inseam, so I figure I should make my stance as narrow as possible. However, is there a good starter cant/lift combination? I've heard front toe up + inward, heel up + inward. Is there a particular angle that I should try at first?

I saw those articles, but would sort of like a "Setting up plate bindings for dummies" type of article. No, I'm not suggesting I'm dumb! :eplus2:

Lots of technical knowledge in those articles, but they read like they are geared toward established riders that are looking to tweak as opposed to someone just starting up.

Here's what I did with my new board...

I fit my boots to the bindings first and then, while standing over the board, rotated them on the plates until they were just shy of getting to the edges.

Now I'm going to install 3 degree cant disks on front and back and will adjust the cant/lift until I am fairly comfortable just standing on the board. I'll tweak from there based on where my weight is while carving and how the board acts. I'm very uncomfortable standing flat on the board or with just one disk. I broke a bunch of joints in various rock climbing falls and injured my knees skiing. So my setup will be for comfort instead of performance.

I have a 6 degree disk as well in case I decide I want to use that.

Once I get it dialed in, I'll sell whatever disk(s) I don't use.

Well said, I am sure Jack likes to get ideas for future helpfull articles.

Comfortable and Performance are often the same place. This would be a great time for Chris Karol or another boot fitter, stance technician to chime in.

It is always difficult to be specific on such a personal fit issue.

Your point about beginner set up articles are keen. I am guessing they are out there.

Good luck in getting it "Dialed". It can be part of the fun, especially when you find the sweet spot.

I was kinda wondering about that too. I figured i'd just try out 3 degree toe lift and 3 degree heel lift. Beyond that, I have no clue what'll be good/work until I get to ride. I'm pretty sure the first day will be all about getting it dialed in/adjusting. I just hope I don't strip any hexes.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for beginner setup articles and came up empty handed. The ones I found were just a little too involved. For a beginner type article, it would have to be dead simple and explain the lift/cant thing from the standpoint of someone that has no clue.

I hope someone comes up with one! I don't think I know enough to write it.

I think the person having just gone through it is often the best person to write about it? The small yet important details often are overlooked by the avid or experienced rider. I would encourage you to continue writing. You have done great so far. I know it would be appreciated.

Helping get folks started is really key to growth, BOL knows this and so does the community in general. You may be the spark to the fuel for this fire. I think it is only a matter of time until a "New Rider" board section comes about.

The only thing I would mention from my own experience of setting up race plates, is the bail tension. I have had the bails pop open with softer boots like the Raichle SBs. Setting the bails very tight (tighter than I would like to stress them) cured this. I have not had this problem with stiffer sole boots like Burton, Oxygen or Head.

BobD

I think the person having just gone through it is often the best person to write about it? The small yet important details often are overlooked by the avid or experienced rider. I would encourage you to continue writing. You have done great so far. I know it would be appreciated.

Helping get folks started is really key to growth, BOL knows this and so does the community in general. You may be the spark to the fuel for this fire. I think it is only a matter of time until a "New Rider" board section comes about.

Thanks for the encouragement, I think :freak3:.

I've done some writing before and have published 2 books. So maybe I'll take up the challenge of writing an essay on it.

Joel

I agree jnshipiro.

I actually think there are more than one solution as far as binding setup goes. I think to many "tweak" there bindings too much, and get hung up with the technical jargin waaay to much. Intstead start with a setup that feels comfortable. From their, focus more on riding that setup, than constantly trying to change. How can one expect to get comfortable when constantly blaming the setup, and changing angles, etc. I'm sure I'm different than most, I chose a setup and stuck with it. I may have gotten lucky. But it works great. If i change it up a degree or two, it feels totally foreign to me.

Of course if your way off as far as where you need to be to perform, be comfortable, etc. Thats different. But once you find yourself switching this and that and the other thing, over and over. Well thats when it's time to switch focus more toward getting better, getting comfortable with where your at. The rider is much more important than the gear.

When setting up, I would start with a setup that eliminates all toe/heel drag. Thats the most important factor. Then switch your stance width until you feel a comfort where you don't feel stretched apart, on the other hand it's not so narrow that you don't feel stable. You want to be able to flex your knees comfortably as well. I think that is where canting comes into play the most. I only use canting on my back foot. I would tell you how many degrees, but I have know idea. Better yet, just try it, and find what feels best, than look at what degree it is. Once you think your close. Stick with it for awhile. See what happens.

Intstead start with a setup that feels comfortable. From their, focus more on riding that setup, than constantly trying to change. How can one expect to get comfortable when constantly blaming the setup, and changing angles, etc.

yeah, i don't think it'll matter either way what setup i'm using, so long as i'm in the general ball park of where i might want to find myself in the future. switching to plates seems like it is gonna be awkward no matter what setup i have, and it's probably not gonna feel right even when it is.

i'm gonna use the approach that i first did when i first started snowboarding. i'm gonna set my bindings and learn to ride them just the way they are, unless something feels majorly wrong (i.e. pain from an awkward setting). once i've adapted to the bindings and setup, i'll have a better idea of things getting better or worse when i tweak my setup.

i have a question, i got two 3 degree disks. should i buy more, or wait and see what happens??

How can one expect to get comfortable when constantly blaming the setup, and changing angles, etc. I'm sure I'm different than most, I chose a setup and stuck with it. I may have gotten lucky. But it works great.

Well, I can say I don't really agree with you there. Like it's been said before, setting up your bindings on your living room carpet is totally different than when you're riding. If you go with your theory, and I'm feeling tightness in areas of my hips or knees, I should just deal with it? When changing the cant and/or lift a few degrees would solve the problem quite nicely.

Now obviously I've had a bit more experience with this than most beginners, but it's still something everyone should learn, so that if/when problems do arise, they can be fixed.

Jim,

When I said how can one feel comfortable when constantly switching, I didn't mean comfortable in the sense of feeling pain vs. not feeling pain. I meant more along the lines of "comfortable riding". You know what I mean. Like if your heelside seem to be sliding out a bit, when you have a great toeside working. Than in that case maybe riding through it might be a better solution vs changing the setup and thinking it must be a issue with equipment.

If something hurts, than change it, obviously. Now, I have been riding on hard boots for 13 years. Just to help my credibility a bit. I just think to somebody new to the sport and new to this forum, they probably get the impression that they need tons of equipment, boards, bindings, boots, boot springs, cant plates, lift kits, etc. etc. I don't think everybody on these forums realize that not everyone has nor can afford to have all of this "stuff." I think it actually holds some people back, having all of this "stuff." People are so quick to blame their sidecut that there isn't enough time to get better. They just pick up a new board. I have bought my last two alpine boards on ebay, than adapt to it. I am one of those people who has to decide, spend money on equipment, or take a trip out west, ie. SES.

So I figure save money on the equipment, work hard with my Burton FP and Variplate bindings, go to SES, and try to win some TD2's in the raffle.

Oh yeah, Bullwings, I would try what you have, see how it feels, and go from there. I think I use 6 degrees on the back foot to help push my back knee forward. It's a good start for sure. I don't buy into the front canting back towards the middle. Of course after riding for so long one way, any other way would feel crazy. So obviously, whatever feels "right" is the way to go.