Note to New Members ×

Autospin. Rotating front foot binding plate

Dave ESPI

A buddy of mine is a seller for this. He is an instructor at Jiminy with me.

www.autospin2.com

For 30.00 discount enter this code

Blake Marion

It should get you a discount :)

THey are a rotational lifter plate that allows your front foot to turn so a regular stance on a freride board becomes similar to a ski for ease of getting on and off lifts.

Not much use to us hardboot riders, but a nifty thing at anyrate for those busy days when board tangles are unavoidable in lines.

Yeah, Derf. That's quite possibly the worst site I've seen in at least a year.

For people who ride really, really low angles something like that would probably make sense. Once you're at 30+ degrees though, I'm not sure it's necessary.

Build quality would be sorta critical, too.

Here's a thought: How about a device like that, (for hardboots, likely) [two ideas, actually]

Device 1: Dynamic, spring-controlled angle changes. You would have ~5 degrees shift in angles possible. No clue if this would work at all.

Device 2: Insta-set binding angles. Push a button, twist into place, reset button, locked in. No tools, <5 second switches.

Burton has a binding disc that is designed for the rental market. You lift a lever, set your angle and lock the lever down. It's made of aluminum and solid. I had one in my hand last season but can't remember the name on it - "Lift 'n Lock" or something like that. If you have Burton plate bindings, you could use those to do instant angle adjustments. Of course, you can't do it on the fly.

Those things look like a recipe for disaster..............who needs even the thought of that thing coming loose in the back of their mind while ripping up a Double Black Diamond.......thanks but no thanks looks like a DEATHTRAP to me :flamethro

The rental shop here at our local mountain (royal) has been using those or something like them for years. they only had one problem so far, and that was when my friend (under 5 foot about 110 lb girl) had them explode underneath her. It was wierd, and they never saw anything like it before, but it was on a rental which have seen years of abuse.

THE SITE IS BEING REVAMPED.

It was up when I posted the link..... gah talk about bad timing !

I personaly have had the time to try them out last year, and they are OK.

not great, not crap, just OK.

It is for ease of tooling around on them, and just going out and having a good time. If you are doing some hardcore stuff, um... I personaly would want NOTHING between me and the board cept a binding PERIOD, but they held up with no noticeable loss of control to me when I was just cruising around.

If anything the extra lift will help eleminate a bit of toedrag too :)

I hope he does better than the half dozen similar products that have come before him. Every year for the past half-dozen someone at the ski show is thrilled to show their NEW binding "Spin" product. I never see the same one the next year. Don't they search the "Failed Products" data base?

Good for the collection, bad for the investor.

Notice the Burton SI bindings.

The "Inventors" always seem to be really nice older guys that are clueless.

They of course liked the idea, so they figured everyone else would too.

Almost sad really. Hope they haven't bet their retirement on it.

I was staying at Snow King in Jackson last February and the adjacent Snow King Mountain had free lift passes for guests after 4 p.m. We had just come back from four days of cross country skiiing in Yellowstone and I was going to try the tram at Jackson Hole the next day but I figured why not get in a little riding at Snow King. I went to the rental shop and picked up a Rossignol free style board with step-in bindings. Each binding had a red button that allowed you to rotate the stance without taking the boots out. I wound up giving an impromptu lesson to a poor guy who was trying to teach himself to ride so I kept the stance neutral. At the end of the lesson I told him to sit and watch as I rotated the bindings forward and arced a couple of deep trenches. His eyes bugged out! I told him to stick with boarding and, when he's ready, make the transition to a carving board.

Anyhow, the binding mechanism worked very well. As I recall it was also made by Rossignol but I could be mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a version of these on our rental boards. Step in Sno-Pro with the rotating disc. Makes it easy for the rental shop to set up but not very durable. I have given many lessons when they try to turn the boot spins to almost 90 degrees........pretty scary.