Note to New Members ×

Natural wood Design Laminates

Chubz

Arbor uses a real wood veneer with a proprietary clear coat. A few years ago there was a write up on them in one of the business mags that said arbor actually prepared the topsheets prior to sending them to ride for production. This indicates to me that they are priinting and coating the veneer before the board is actually pressed. I think it's a pretty closely guarded secret. If I was to guess, it most likely just a curtain coating process after screen printing, but I could be way off.

i also think its a very good curtain coating on the arbor... its the simpliest way to get a thick varnish.. other solutions implies sanding a lot between each layer..

I'm not sure its done before the pressing because it would imply protecting the topsheet from resin marks... but its not unmakable ( all topsheets are protected during pressing usually)...

Swellpanik and miura use polyurethane varnish that they sand a lot with wetpaper

I had planned on doing coats on my wood veneer and then just making it the topsheet when I do the pressing

So they put a coat on and then wet sand and then another coat and wet sand and so on.

What is curtain coating?

This helps folks as I am about two weeks from my first pressing simply due to work and family schedule. Oh I forgot, I also cut the tip of my left index finger off sunday morning on a table saw, cutting sidewall material. So that has set me back too. Painful? YOU BET!!!!!! Feels like a 24-hour acetylene torch to the tip of the finger.

Lastly, this is for Sean, how do I keep layers of material from shifting during lay and pressing. Mind you, I am a lone dude working in my single car garage with out the bells and whistle equipment.

Thanks

Oh I forgot, I also cut the tip of my left index finger off sunday morning on a table saw, cutting sidewall material. So that has set me back too. Painful? YOU BET!!!!!! Feels like a 24-hour acetylene torch to the tip of the finger.

you cut it off? wow I just cut a 1/2" into mine :eek: with a bandsaw (also while building snowboards) To this day an Xray of my left index finger shows a notch from the where the blade stopped...I used superglue to close the wound after flushing it with cold beer (I was trying to finish work before drinking anything). BTW it's still sensitive and that was 19 years ago :(

When I get a chance. This one was a bit more than glue and beer fix. It took all of my previous pain level ratings of 6 or 7 down to about a 2 after the pain cycles I went thru Sunday and Monday night. Percocet (sp?) didnt even touch it, it probably did, but I was in some down right mean a$$ pain. I could feel all of the cuts the surgeon performed to remove excess skin and bone fragments earlier in the day. Thought it was cool to watch until the shots wore off that evening.

Whatever you do, do not take a hot shower. Hand kept dry, but the circulation increased and all the pressure went straight to my finger. Put me on the kitchen floor crying like a little baby. Oddly enough, drank 2 cool glasses of water and sat by an open back door for cool air and once I cooled down the pain went from a literal 10 to about a 4.

It will match my grandmothers finger in a lawn mower at 82 when she did it, and my dad's in a snow blower, except he put his finger in a snowball and put the snowball in his pocket. finished snowblowing my grandmother's driveway and then I took him to hospital and they reattached. Not stoopid folks, just silly farmers from Pennsylvania. Ok , maybe a little stoopid.

I will also post pics of board once complete.

Chubz, I truely do understand 30 minutes after I glued it together the adrenaline and beer wore off I went to the ER. They looked at what I had done and after some Xrays they said there was really nothing they could do. The good thing for me was that the cut was straight into the tip dead center between the nail and the print and the blade jumped when it hit bone. So didn't have a lot of additional damage but yeah it hurt alot for a long time. Get well soon