Note to New Members ×

HUGE Feet!

Gtanner

Ok a friend of mine needs some help. Their son wants to snowboard, but has a size 16 street shoe size (don't have his mondo count) but you get the idea that he has ginormeous feet. So he wants a soft set-up. Are there any double wide boards out there (other than the old fat-bobs from the early 90's or a full custom ) that he can use (custom doesn't make sense for a beginner)?

Also what about boots? Are they looking also at custom?

The issue is that the kid is 13 years old, so he's still growing.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

-Gord

If its soft boot riding then set him up as duck footed, +15 front -15 back is 'normal' over here. Ensure the boots have a good upturn at the toes and heels (if you have any choice of boots at all), and put risers on, ex. Palmer Power Link System Standard Lifters.

This should cut down on toe drop.

As to board width, due to the fact hes got - lets not beat about the bush here - big feet, its all in proportion to the width of the board. As most, if not all, turning is done from the knees down (well over here it is), with the emphasis on foot steering, it won't create a major cause for concern having him on a wide board.

(having just read the original question that doesn't really help). I beleive size 16 is about 32.5 mondo, and most manufacturers stop at size 15.

Hey gotta put a plug in for a Donek Sasquatch. They come in a length of 162/166/170 with a 28cm waist width. At $450.00 + $35.00 for shipping and promising specs for this person, it might be worth looking into. Plus, you might try looking for one of these boards used on ebay.

I've never ridden a Donek freeride board, but many on this board do and they get rave reviews. I myself am on the opposite specrum and am thinking about getting a Donek Incline freeride board.

Just my two cents!

Gord, to be clear, you are looking for the wide boards correct?

May want to know his height and weight. I am guessing this is a big kid and he probably wants to ride in the park, or he will soon after learning.

The good news is there are allot more wide boards available these days.

Accessories can help allot in addition. Using Palmer riser discs can be useful

in getting the clearance he will need.

Couple wide boards

http://www.boardsports.com/800002.html

Nitro Missfit

Couple searches on Google will find plenty of boards in the 26cm waist width.

Anyone know boards much wider than that?

There was someone looking for size 16 soft boots on another board, the short answer is that there aren't any. There are size 16 ski boots out there, but that's the limit.

Bummer, that is a tough spot to be 16 and wanting to ride with his friends only to learn that the sport doesn't provide for your shoe size?

Gord, good of you to help find a solution.

You may find boots and a board, but your biggest hurdle will be bindungen.

Even the biggest baseplates will be well short and now that they have toe risers in just about all of them, the lift will be right under the middle of his foot. That would be awful.

Maybe he would be better off skiing. Snowboarding sucks anyway. It's far more dignified to stand up all the time, rather than parade around in front of people, looking like you wet yourself.

Thanks for all the input.

The kid is 6'1" and I don't know his weight.

He did to go a shop where they said that it's all 100% custom. Thanks for the info about the wide boards and you're all right in that he'll have to go either duck or a good forward stance. Palmers or Burton elevators are also something to help, but that's tough for a new boarder to go out and pick up.

For boots, I was thinking of something 31 or 32 soft and maybe put in a thermo liner for the extra centimeter...

Anyway, thanks again for the links and if anyone else has any input, please send it along.

-Gord

Size 16's for serious riding are going to have high angles regardless of the board width. I have had up to a 28.6cm board and now I have the aforementioned Donek Sasquatch and my minimum stance is 30 degrees. Unless you can hack a 60 degree split (30, -30) you don't want to ride duck with those big dogs. I have found that it is not that hard to find bindings that easily fit a size 15. Burton makes sz. 15 boots and the bindings to fit. I would definitely see if he will fit a 15 before you go any further.

As far as the risers go, I have tried many and even had custom risers made for me, and I don't find that they are very helpful. I can usually squeeze out a few extra degrees (maybe 5 degrees at most), but I don't find that they are worth it.

In the end, big feet mean high angles, period.

He did to go a shop where they said that it's all 100% custom. Thanks for the info about the wide boards and you're all right in that he'll have to go either duck or a good forward stance. Palmers or Burton elevators are also something to help, but that's tough for a new boarder to go out and pick up.

For boots, I was thinking of something 31 or 32 soft and maybe put in a thermo liner for the extra centimeter...

-Gord

I doubt it's a custom as I've worked with customers on this issue a number of times. E-bay is your best bet for boots I'm told, but check manufacturers that sell them and contact them directly. They can tell you who in your area has a pair. Most snowboard boots fit big, so it's very likely that he can fit into a size 14 or 15. He just needs to try them on (don't stop at one brand). Bindings are not a problem Tech nine makes the T9 XL designed to fit a 16 boot. I keep them in stock. The Sasquatch is the most cost effective ($450) solution in our line, but I have even bigger boards that run $630. Just let me know if I can help.

Ok a friend of mine needs some help. Their son wants to snowboard, but has a size 16 street shoe size (don't have his mondo count) but you get the idea that he has ginormeous feet. So he wants a soft set-up. Are there any double wide boards out there (other than the old fat-bobs from the early 90's or a full custom ) that he can use (custom doesn't make sense for a beginner)?

Also what about boots? Are they looking also at custom?

The issue is that the kid is 13 years old, so he's still growing.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

-Gord

My cousin is a size 17... There is a guy on ebay that sells size 16/17 soft boots and another that sells 16/17 ski boots.

just type in ebay

"snowboard 17* boot" or "snowboard 16* boot"

and if save it as a favorite search.

The boot are nice. Not great. I think they are snowpro ?

Next you will want tech-9 XL bindings. (go to size 17)

My cousine uses my old k2 magma v10. I had to put a differnet strap on it though.

then any wide board will do.

My cousin has a 172 RIDE something or other.

and the waxing the bottom of the boots and sliding down the mountain joke gets old to big footed people...It took us 2 years to find snowboad boots. I think they cost 180$ .. probally only really a 100$ boot.

thank g*d im a 28 shell.

PALMER LIFT PLATES.

they will help atleast a little bit with toe/ heel drag.

I learned riding both feet forward, so it's not a big deal, and I was a size 13 at age 12, so I doubt he will grow much more.

FATBOB by K-2 was the widest I knew or a Burton Floater.

Neither are made anymore I believe.

I think Burton bindings might go up to 16? I say this because I have a set of Variplates, and at MP30 feet I still have two clicks of expansion left on the blocks! I think it's because Burton boots had a larger length between the toe/heel shelves(?) So a 16 Raichle-type boot might fit.

My feet are a large 15 (no 1/2 sizes after 12 or 13) and I can only attest to the fact that I have found Burton Moto softboots more than accomodating. Spacious even. Also, I had a boot fitter manipulate Head Stratos Pro Mondo 31.5 to my liking and think highly of them (both the boots and the fitter). All the best. I remember Shaq tried snowboarding in CO years back and he wears a 22 or some such. Probably cost $2K though.

• 2 months later...

These are the widest production board out there, I've been able to find. Starts at 27.5 in 155 and goes to 28.4 through 167 and 171. Though 4mm isn't much over the Sasquatch. The Venture is similar to the El Grande but downgraded construction...so better for beginner.

J