Note to New Members ×

Problem solved!

Jack M

Awesome! I want one :rolleyes: If they're being 100% truthful about what they have created, there will be serious ramifications in everything we do. Think of the ethical issuses associated with Infinite amounts of energy :eek: . Nuclear power gives monumental amounts of energy, but still nowhere near the amount that could be produced if their Steorn's claims are correct, and look at what we were st00ped enough to do with Nuclear Energy :smashfrea . While I think that this, if validated, would be THE most important creation/discovery in the history of mankind, I don't think that we (as a global society) are ready for that kind of power. On the other hand, if everyone had all the power they want, all the time, alot of our social issues might be solved.

I'm not sure if I buy it, but we'll see.

Their system involves magnets. Intriguing.

Excerpt from a press release :

"In Steorn's theory, fixed magnets could act upon a moving magnet in such a way as to make it a virtual perpetual motion generator. In an electrical appliance - a computer, kettle, mobile phone or toy - that would provide all the power for its lifetime. Of course, free-energy cars, power plants and water-pumping systems could follow. A better world indeed.

But then that Christmas Day feeling kicks in; doubts about the power source. According to McCarthy and Walshe, the marketing manager, there have been no fewer than eight independent validations of their work conducted by electrical engineers and academics "with multiple PhDs" from world-class universities. But none of them will talk to me, even off the record. I am promised a diagram explaining how the system works, but then Steorn holds it back, saying its lawyers are concerned about intellectual property rights. And that European partner, the one with the moving, almost perpetual, prototypes? It won't talk to me either and Steorn has undertaken not to name it.?

There are several patents on file one or two of which show promise. ITs not really free energy though. The best guess is that it is Zero point energy being converted somehow. So technically no physical laws are being broken. we simply don't understand the functional relationship between ourselves and zero point energy. We are beginning to understand through quantum physics that it is all around us and that the challenge is how to harness it.

Ahhh, the ULTIMATE fudge factor. :lol:

careful now! next hing you'll be trying to tell us the world is flat!!:lol:

you have to admit the stuff makes for fascinating reading. It seems to fill in a lot of empty spots in what we know as well. Its at least as credible as Darwin's work. We all know that's full of holes.:D

we may get a good free for all going yet:eplus2:

careful now! next hing you'll be trying to tell us the world is flat!!:lol:

you have to admit the stuff makes for fascinating reading. It seems to fill in a lot of empty spots in what we know as well. Its at least as credible as Darwin's work. We all know that's full of holes.:D

we may get a good free for all going yet:eplus2:

The world isn't flat, it's hollow DUH! http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/holearth.html

It makes for great reading! I'm not saying that its pseudoscience, Im just saying that it is a GREAT fudge factor, ala "dark matter" and "dark energy". Nobody understands it or its properties yet, so therefor anything that we don't quite understand, we can just blame on that. Basically (and this is an extreme example), a bowling ball falls through a solid floor-something that is totally IMPROBABLE- and we can blame it on quantum principles. Galaxies forming complex structures with each other? Must be dark matter's doing. Im not saying that it's bad science, Im only saying that we use things that we don't understand to explain other things we don't understand. :smashfrea

Until they come out with a >0 energy output demonstration that can be externally verified, they might as well be calling it "magic." Sort of like fusion....

I have trouble getting excited about any energy source that isn't verified, considering that fusion has been "10 years away" for .. er... fifty years?

There have indeed been power sources based upon angled magnets. However, the flaw is that in those cases they all demagnetized the magnets, taking the energy from this process. So...not so great there, as it takes more energy to remagnetize the magnets than you got out of them. They seem to be claiming the same thing, but without demagnetization?

If Steorn can make this work, they'll make billions, at the least. But until then, there isn't much point. Make it work, and I'll buy a 5000W version (assuming it's affordable). Until then, there isn't much point in anybody getting excited. If they do have independent validation, and manufacturing isn't WAY overboard expense-wise, then this will really, really take off. But everybody's been burned so many times before, that they need to publicly prove it works, first.

[Oh, and I guess I sorta agree...this is like Darwin's work. His very early work. However, evolution has been positively ratified, independently tested, etc. We know that (at least micro-) evolution works. So...when they do that to this, then the analogy works.]

Edit: I just watched their demo. That's....utter nonsense. If you pull something away from a magnet using 40 kJ, you're damn well not getting >40 kJ back when you let it be pulled back.

Edit2: Sinecure: That's an awesome spoofblog. One of the best ones I've seen. Fairly well done story, as well.

Cold flaming yetis will levitate from my ass while bending spoons with their minds before anyone can prove that the Sun doesn't revolve around the Earth. Cold flaming yetis will levitate from my ass while bending spoons with their minds before anyone can fly faster than the speed of sound. Cold flaming yetis will levitate from my ass while bending spoons with their minds before anybody proves the world is a sphere. Cold flaming yetis will levitate from my ass while bending spoons with their minds before anybody walks on the moon.

Like I said earlier, I am very skeptical of the whole thing, but We've been wrong before :rolleyes:

[Oh, and I guess I sorta agree...this is like Darwin's work. His very early work. However, evolution has been positively ratified, independently tested, etc. We know that (at least micro-) evolution works. So...when they do that to this, then the analogy works.]

Actually I was comparing darwin to quantum physics not this particular invention. Quantum physics is becoming fairly well documented. At least the parts of it that we can wrap our minds around. It has lots of holes in it though like evolution theory.

Like I said earlier, I am very skeptical of the whole thing, but We've been wrong before :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm all for scientific breakthroughs and advancements - I'm sure we'll figure out controlled fusion, practical nanomachines, quantum computing and teleportation, room temperature superconductors, flying cars, conscious machines and "microwave ovens that make things cold" (man, how sweet would that be?) at some point in the (near) future, but nobody but nobody is going to make a perpetual motion machine, over unity device, free energy, whatever you want to call it. :p I thought, just maybe, that the Brownian ratchet might do it, but alas the second law of thermodynamics wins again.

The law that entropy always increases, holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell's equations - then so much the worse for Maxwell's equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation - well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation.

I don't know who this guy on your cold flame clip is but he isn't the first one to make one of these welders. The stuff is called brown's gas and it does work. It is an accidental offshoot of using electricity to turn water into hydrogen and oxygen. both gases are produced as well as water vapour. It lets the hydrogen burn without being dangerously unstable. Very cool. I built one of the generators and used it to experiment with various fuels in a vehicle. It seemed to work quite well gaining me 5-8 mpg by piping it into the air intake while the engine was running. Any one can buy a welder that runs off of an internal generator. You still use power but the power is used to convert the water into brown's gas. the flame will cut tungsten I have seen it done. Eagle research out of penticton BC is a source of info and generator kits as well as the welders for anyone who is interested. very interesting stuff.

Err...whoops. Sorry.

Yeah, the Brownian ratchet looked so nice...too bad :(

A true free energy device is impossible, yes. If or when someone gets one to work, great. I'll embrace that technology wholeheartedly. But...they'd damn well better have a working demo.

Actually,...hm...

Anybody know anything about CoolChips? Apparently they're a peltier replacement system being developed, but I don't know if they ever panned out. Basically they use electricity to transfer head, making one side of a small plate hot, and the other cold. IANAP (I am not a physicist) but I wonder what the calculations look like for producing a heat-gradient engine that produced its own gradient using a system like this. Probably energy production would be in the far negatives, but hey.

Hm...in any case, does anyone know if CoolChips panned out?