Note to New Members ×

Jackson Hole lodging and ticket advice.....and opinions?

snow|3oarder

snow|3oarder,

Done a couple of trips to the Hole past few years and it is fantastic. Not the "top 5" for carving but the all mountain there is excellent. Only bummer is the Tram is now gone and that to me was the heart and sole.

Ticket deals are near impossible. They seem to have a lock-down on the price and you have no choice but to pay the steep rate.

Do yourself a favor: take one day and drive over the pass to Grand Targee. AMAZING carving and, oh, 6 other people there. Less then an hour from JH. Do it.

Tip: do NOT walk up to a cowboy having dinner and ask "so what does "cow-poke" really mean?" Bad idea, my teeth still hurt.

Have fun!

JH is my all time favorite resort! The off-piste riding is great. We usually stay at the Hostel at the base of the mountain. Inexpensive and a reasonable room. Ride back down to the door, almost.

And definately make the trip over to Grand Targhee. Well worth the drive.

The tram is gone? Dang!

I got to ride the tram last February and enjoyed a LONG descent. There's some serious vertical on that mountain.

We stayed at the Snow King resort in the town of Jackson itself. It's adjacent to Snow King Mountain - so steep that the town holds its downhill races there. As an added bonus, guests can ski/ride that mountain for free after 4 pm.

We liked the town so much we talked to a realtor. The cheapest home in town was 530,000!

JH rocks!! I make a trip out there every season. Leave the race deck at home. There are some ok carving trails, but you're better off taking an AM board, powder deck, or even riding softies. I usually stay in the condos at Snow King--walking distance (10 min)to town and the brew pub. Some years lift tickets to Targhee and the Village are included in the room rates. JH central reservations website: http://www.jacksonholewy.com/jackson-lodging.php

Here's a pic from up off the Teton Pass:

post-580-141842220528_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Did the search thing on Jackson hole and this came up...

I'm heading there in late Feb to early Mar 2007 to race and wanted to ask specific questions....

Should I leave my racers at home??

Since weight is pretty tight on international flights I was thinking of only bringing one board instead of several but if it's as powdery as I've heard, that could be suicide bringing the racer(s)

If you guys have any opinions on what board I should really take please reply!!!

Any of the BOL members regulars there... be great to meet up for a drink or 20??

Any opinions etc would be very appreciated!!!

Cheers

Guest shrederjen

Heya! I will be at Jackson Hole to RACE!!! Feb 25- March 4th. International airline races!! I will sport a raceboard but something for pow is most definitely needed, too!!! Yes, it will be a long slow haul up to the very top (without the tram), but getting 4000 vertical in one run is a pretty sick way to snowboard! I can't wait!!!! oh yea, if you get there early, I believe the GS race down Dicks Ditch is Feb 24-25. Its a pretty mean run, but fun!

Guest shrederjen

Funny, Enzo asked about that at the same time I did....

I have not run the race in the ditch, but I have riden down through it. Could be really fun on something like a BMX board...heheheheh

Heya! I will be at Jackson Hole to RACE!!! Feb 25- March 4th. International airline races!! I will sport a raceboard but something for pow is most definitely needed, too!!! Yes, it will be a long slow haul up to the very top (without the tram), but getting 4000 vertical in one run is a pretty sick way to snowboard! I can't wait!!!! oh yea, if you get there early, I believe the GS race down Dicks Ditch is Feb 24-25. Its a pretty mean run, but fun!

Hahaha Yep... International Airline World Championships!!!! How funny is that??

What Airline you work for?? I'm a Qantas boy myself...

Did you go to Austria (Schladming) Earlier this year for the IASF worlds??

That place was awesome!! And Blue Tomato is right there in the village!!!

Since this is my first trip to The States, I might bite the bullet and bring one of the racers and my freerider for the rest of the runs....

Should be a hoot!!!!

Guest shrederjen

Yes, I work for one of the airlines, here... :)

I did not do Austria, last year. Did Australia and Aspen back to back instead. I made all the other meets over here, though. Was't easy! I do plan to do Garmish next year, with an extra week for Italy. (been riding there twice). I know its kinda bad, but its really fun to run all those crusiers and drink red wine! I WILL see you at Jackson! Yes, a raceboard and a Pow board is a good way to go at Jackson (for this meet!!). They can get some increadible snow!! And, Im sure you have found out, the international meets are quite competitive. I did Finland, 2 years ago and Alyeska the year before that.

Yes, I work for one of the airlines, here... :)

I did not do Austria, last year. Did Australia and Aspen back to back instead. I made all the other meets over here, though. Was't easy! I do plan to do Garmish next year, with an extra week for Italy. (been riding there twice). I know its kinda bad, but its really fun to run all those crusiers and drink red wine! I WILL see you at Jackson! Yes, a raceboard and a Pow board is a good way to go at Jackson (for this meet!!). They can get some increadible snow!! And, Im sure you have found out, the international meets are quite competitive. I did Finland, 2 years ago and Alyeska the year before that.

You can say that again... (about being competitive that is...) My first international event was Austria... Heard stories about Finland and Alaska.... Alaska is one place I really would love to visit.... after watching all those videos it really looks like a place I'd love....:D

I do the local race meets here in Aus....Austria was my first trip abroad to race.

Hopefully we'll bump into one another and go cruising!!

Know of any other BOL members that are going to be there at that time??

Know of any other BOL members that are going to be there at that time??

I'll be there on a family vacation Feb 24-March 3. It would be great to see other carvers on the mountain. I'm lucky if I ever see another hardbooter at JH. I'll be doing family stuff all week, but say hey on the hill. I usually have lunch & apres at VC. If you need any tips or have questions on the town, mountain, etc contact me. I've been to JH many times and my bro has lived out there for almost 10 years.

I'll be there on a family vacation Feb 24-March 3. It would be great to see other carvers on the mountain. I'm lucky if I ever see another hardbooter at JH. I'll be doing family stuff all week, but say hey on the hill. I usually have lunch & apres at VC. If you need any tips or have questions on the town, mountain, etc contact me. I've been to JH many times and my bro has lived out there for almost 10 years.

... we should get a time and date when we get closer to the week and meet up for a few runs and drinkies afterwards!!!

I'm there for the IASF worlds. All of our trip is organised by our president, seems that we'll spend a few days in Park City Utah and move over to JH....so I'll be buzzing around, I wear full cammo gear with a black helmet.... just look for the guy with the biggest dumbest grin on his face!! LOL

It'll be epic riding with a few carvers again... haven't ripped it up with a wing man for years!!!!

Guest ninjatiff
It looks like I am going to go on a trip to JAckson hole with a group of about 8. Does anyone have recommendations for lodging and tickets? All info is much appreciated.

Is JAckson Hole what it is cracked up to be? We still have time to change if necessary! :eek:

cheapest lodging will be the hostels...one at the resort and one on the corner of gill and cache streets (in downtown Jackson). if you plan on being here during peak tourist season and are willing to drop a bit more $$, most of the nicer hotels offer something in the way of lodging/ticket packages.

if you're traveling complete dirt-bag style you can always "clip tickets" in the resort parking lot...never done it myself, but I hear that folks are pretty generous if you ask nicely.

as far as Jackson being "what it is cracked up to be"...I moved here 5 years ago with the plan of just staying for one winter season -- still here!

ps-someone else mentioned checking out Targhee, I'd agreed. they get amazing amounts of snow, just be prepared...the terrain is way more intermediate than Jackson. also, if you're backcountry savvy, spend a day on the Pass!