Note to New Members ×

Opinions on Flow soft boot binding?

EndUser

Flows bindings have been redisigned for the 06/07 season, so you probably wont get too many reviews of that specific binding. however, as a rider of 04/05 flow pro 11s i can tell you that theyre probably some of the best (mainstream) softboot bindings for carving. The full wrap of the one piece strap gives a lot more support and really locks your boot in place. The system is also a lot more convenient than conventional straps, especially if youre used to the fast buckling hardboot/binding interface. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

my cousin has some Tech9s with the baltimore cap... he says they are Ok. like the flows better (toe drags a little). My big hangup with the flows is my foot falls asleep cause I cant loosten it up on a long lift ride.

K2 has a new one out there that looks really good

I always undo the latch on the back... it takes the pressure off(it wont go anywhere with the highback )........thats with a chair with a foot rest though!!!!!

Guest Oldsnwbrdr

I bought a set of Pro-11's a couple of years ago. I LOVE them. I have the speed of a clickin with the support of a strap in.

Keep in mind that I came to these from K2 clicker bindings which had a lot more play in them than the Flows. So I probably have much less experience in this regard than other riders on this forum.

These bindings, with my Northwave boots (with BOA lacing system) are a very comfortable, speedy, and supportive combination, kind of like a well worn jockstrap.

Guest glennmorton

I didn't really like the Flows I had for carving, a little soft feeling and after a season they seemed to have almost "stretched" and got a lot of play in them.

I have last years Burton C-60's and those are by far the bindings for soft boot carving I have ever used.

Just my $.02.

Just had a set of Flow Pro FR's that got ripped off with an Oxygen SX last year (and I'm still bitter :angryfire )

Anyway, they were good and very supportive, but I found the same as above where you start losing feeling. I just picked up soem Tech-9's pro's with the cap-strap (seem stiff and supportive - HUGE padded ankle strap :1luvu: ).

I'll post in a few months what the comparison is.

BTW: will be riding with Burton Drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the 2007 Flow NXT-FR bindings in the mail and had a chance to examine their construction and function. I haven't mounted or boarded in them though. I'm not impressed and will return them.:

* I put my Burton driver X boot in and adjusted the highback angle inward as far as it would go without moving the cable, and ratcheted down the big-strap as hard as I could. Even with just my hand in the boot and binding not mounted I could lift the heel up to the point I felt it was unsafe. This is a major problem.

* The construction is overly complex and prone to lost parts. There are several small screws on the highback and on the sides, and a plastic cover to go over the mounting discs (to make the insertion/removal of boot smoother presumably).

* The cable and metal highback seems sturdy, finish seems good.

* The new ratchets on the straps seem breakable, and do not operate very moothly. I believe they are rivited onto the strap so replacement of the entire strap would be needed to replace them (although its good you wont loose one).

* The metal mounting discs are sturdy, but really heavy, and have an odd matte finish on them that can scratch easily (although it should not matter since they are covered by a special plastic thingy.

* I was hoping that in deep powder I could exit and enter the binding without the highback entry. It is possible, yes. The ratchets are not so easy to operate and I think it will be somewhat of a pain in the ass to do often.

The first issue is the deal-killer for me -- I need my heel solidly held down. I think the flow design is flawed in that you have to slide your foot in the horizontal axis which does not allow you to use your body weight to seat the boot against the soft/fabric strap with significant force. Theoretically you shouldnt have to mess with the strap ratchets every time you enter/exit, the force of the highback closure does not seem to be enough to highly secure the boot heel (unless perhaps if it is set at an extreme angle).

Anyone have any opinions on the 2007 Flow NXT FR for a carving binding with soft boots?

I hope they're WAY better than they used to be, I hated them years ago

junk

I hear they are better now but they left a horrible impression with me what I tried them

err why not get burton, catek or nideckers all three make a fine strap binding

catek is where it's at IMHO

I rode Flows back in the late 90s, and liked them except for one thing.

I like to ride with a lot of forward lean, and the Flows seemed incompatible with that. Although in theory you can adjust the forward lean of the highback to the extent you want, if you want a lot more than the amount built in to the toe strap, the toe strap deforms weirdly, and the fit of the binding suffers. There was even a picture in the user manual warning about this scenario.

But that was about 7 years ago. Are things different now?

The first issue is the deal-killer for me -- I need my heel solidly held down. I think the flow design is flawed in that you have to slide your foot in the horizontal axis which does not allow you to use your body weight to seat the boot against the soft/fabric strap with significant force. Theoretically you shouldnt have to mess with the strap ratchets every time you enter/exit, the force of the highback closure does not seem to be enough to highly secure the boot heel (unless perhaps if it is set at an extreme angle).

my flows the heels lift as well.

I put ducts tape on the heels of the boot and this eleminated some of the problems.

It is a design issue, but then im not getting crazy on the flows.