Note to New Members ×

Noboard

Jack M

I just ordered a Chillerdeck from Mark E. over at chillerdecks. I liked the idea that he has has of getting the deck (that rides above a snowboard) wide enough to leverage the edge of the snowboard. I'm planning on riding strapless for the first few times but, I'm already prepping material to make a strap system (much like the Winterstick/Burton/Sims/Flite/A Team sandboards of yore) that can be attached or detached for whatever conditions.

Jack's query has me worried though about if the snowboard is going to flex in the right pattern or not. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Mark

• 10 months later...

www.noboard.ca

The package comes with a pad, DVD and a high quality glossy mag.

Next year, you will be able to buy it on a proper pow board with the pad built-in, by an as yet undisclosed manufacturer.

Best day yet on Saturday. No rope down runs that could only be steeper if they were cliffs. Some adventures with Johan Olaffson, getting cliffed out (not that far right, Johan) and having to go for the big one, as it was dusk with about 10 minutes to darkness.

I love this game!

• 2 months later...

OK.

I don't know if this will work or not because I've never been successful linking to videos on YouTube. I am dumb that way.

This was some video of a day we had last year at a resort in Alberta named Fortress Mountain. The owner let us up for some private riding off of our sleds and a few laps of the lift, which he started for us. As far as I know, we were the last public to ride the lifts. He has been unable to open the mountain and it just sits there now, at the end of a 12k access road. It's also in Kananaskis prov. park, so generally not sleddable.

A good crew this day. If you look closely at the riding, anytime you can see both hands, it's off the rope, surf-style as I prefer. I am leading the gang out in the first shot (in black) and another little slash at 1:24.

I have been spraying about this for awhile now, but never posted any video... Hopefully, this will look like fun to some of you and you might decide to give it a try.

That looks pretty sweet!!! I'm surprised the resort allows them since they don't have bindings. Do you have to have a break system for it? I doubt I'd be able to get on the lift with one of those around here.

Attached to the rope you can hold onto, you attach a retractable dog leash that comes with the kit. When you drop the rope, the board it still attached to you. The retractable feature is necessary, as you can't have a surf leg rope dangling there to hook around trees or whatnot, but you need the length to have some chance of avoiding getting tomahawked when it comes back at you. Simply attaching the hand rope to your body would be suicide if you fell and tumbled.

The resorts are generally suspicious, but if it's pow and I know I can ride it, I'll just skate up like normal, sit down and off I go before they notice.

Attached to the rope you can hold onto, you attach a retractable dog leash that comes with the kit. When you drop the rope, the board it still attached to you. The retractable feature is necessary, as you can't have a surf leg rope dangling there to hook around trees or whatnot, but you need the length to have some chance of avoiding getting tomahawked when it comes back at you. Simply attaching the hand rope to your body would be suicide if you fell and tumbled.

The resorts are generally suspicious, but if it's pow and I know I can ride it, I'll just skate up like normal, sit down and off I go before they notice.

And it attaches to your leg above the boot or to the boot? Or either? Maybe at a larger resort that'd work (skate up and go), but when all the lifts meet within a couple hundred yards of each other that's tougher!!!:D

And it attaches to your leg above the boot or to the boot? Or either? Maybe at a larger resort that'd work (skate up and go), but when all the lifts meet within a couple hundred yards of each other that's tougher!!!:D

I attach it to my belt, or the waist belt of my avy pack.

Yes... The resort merge is tricky, but they can be swayed, depending on the approach and your own realistic expectations of conditions. It'll get to the point of uselessness on most smaller areas in about 2 seconds, once the crowds hit it. At larger areas, you could have tracks all day and the rope can make even harpack rideable (in a very utilitarian sense).

I attach it to my belt, or the waist belt of my avy pack.

Yes... The resort merge is tricky, but they can be swayed, depending on the approach and your own realistic expectations of conditions. It'll get to the point of uselessness on most smaller areas in about 2 seconds, once the crowds hit it. At larger areas, you could have tracks all day and the rope can make even harpack rideable (in a very utilitarian sense).

Cool. Come to think of it one of those wouldn't be worth the trouble at a resort around here. Everything is groomed with the exception of patches of over run glades. Be better off hiking. There is a place near here I could use it when we do get snow. We used to hike it when we couldn't afford lift tickets. There's also a road that runs from the bottom, around behind the back of the hill and goes close to where we start at the top. You don't even have to hike if you can find someone who's willing to be the designated driver! (or switch off and on) I imagine I could even get by wearing my vans snowskate shoes. Lighter, less cumbersome, and makes for less fatigue, more runs.

I don't get much time off from work, so going to the hill or sledding is usually out of the question for me too.

Even the shortest run can be pretty fun and gets you storked to try it on the big stuff.

People... If you haven't seen it, go back a few posts and watch the VIDEO. That's why I dug up this thread.