Note to New Members ×

Soon to have a new car. SOOOO Excited

Justin A.

So after 50,000 miles of faithful service, I've decided that its time for my Saab to retire (mostly because the warranty is up now). Lady Viggen's time is up and her replacement goes by the name of Rubi.

Im going to be ordering a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon loaded to the gills; Navigation, power windows, power locks, A/C, Sirius (Oh how I've missed it), dual top group, even floor mats! Of course its going to have the manual transmission. I'm soooo excited about it. Sorry to brag, I can't help it because Im uber pumped.

I think those Jeeps are insanely overpriced.

Are you even going to take it offroad? Otherwise a Kia or Hyundai might be a wiser choice.

A car might be a better choice than a truck. With this you are (literally) burning money to get from point A to point B, and the ride is not even enjoyable.

man those were the days....

I put 170,000 miles on a Wrangler. Hands down

the most reliable car I've ever owned. When I sold

it, it was only on it's 2nd set of tires, and still had the original

brakes. Ultimately the noise got to me. Those soft tops

are unreal at freeway speeds.

Enjoy

Actually, it's going to be me-funded...

The rubicon was chosen because of its incredible offroad prowess, and yes, it will be taken off road...Why wouldn't it be? If I was going to buy an SUV to baby and pamper and put low profile tires on and keep shiny and on the road all the time, would I be choosing a wrangler, let alone a rubicon?

A kia or a hundai isn't even an option, they're crap off road and in the snow.

Im going with the two door because it has a better breakover angle (one of the trails that we've done in another jeep has some big trees across it). Besides, I don't need the backseat access (or the backseat for that matter) since the dogs will get in through the gate.

Jeeps could be considered overpriced unless you consider what they are capable of. When buying a Jeep (not compass or patriot), you are driving a vehicle off the lot that can take you just about anyplace that you can walk (and some places that you can't). You are paying for the capability, not the luxury features that people seem to think should come standard in an SUV. Jeeps is more or less the Lotus of the SUV world. You are paying for performance, not luxury. If you wanted the luxury to come along with the package, you are looking at a total cost around that of an H2 (also a very capable offroad vehicle, just hopped up on leather and electronics...and HUGENESS). Basically, I don't think that they are overpriced at all considering what you get. I'm going to pay the $15000 (after trade-in) for the Rubicon, and know that I can drive it anywhere and through anything.

When the rubicon came out it was an exciting moment, a stock vehicle that could crawl the rubicon trail, you made a great choice, I would buy a pair of wheels for the road quiet rubber) and use the origionals for off road, but that's me, btw, where will the board ride:)

Im going with an Expedition rack system for it to carry all the camping equipment, bikes, boards, dog food and anything else that we'll ever need. Mopar even makes a hitch mount board rack. Worst comes to worst, we'll just put ski and board gear inside and use it as an armrest in the front seat (like I did with my saab). The roof rack seems to be the best option though.

This will be my family's 6th jeep, my first and the first wrangler. We had 4 Grand Cherokees and 1 cherokee over the years, and all of them proved themselves to be the best offroad vehicles on the road. I've driven to the mountain in storms where the State Police were telling people to stay home, without a problem. Two years ago we drove to waterville in that storm that dropped 3-4 feet, again without a problem. 8-10 weeks for delivery :(, but the wait will be worth it.

In 1994, my parents bought a Jeep-a Grand Cherokee in fact....

Since then, Jeep has been purchased by Chrysler and I won't take one even if it was free. My parents bought a Chrysler Jeep to replace "Norm" and hearing about how my dad was filling up gallon bottles at runoff streams going over Berthoud Pass when the module that controls the belt drive and water pump locked up was enough for me-it took them 2+ hours to drive from Empire to Fraser.

And I won't get into the left front wiring harness having been replaced already...

I wish you luck.....

I gotta chime in here, I own a 89 Jeep Cherokee w/ 4.0 liter. It has been an awesome vehicle. Just turned 235,000 miles and still going strong. Original motor and trans, just got it back from the smog shop and they commented at how clean it ran for being nearly 20 years old. I have never had any major problems other than the occasional alternator, starter, water pump and the parts that wear out.

When this baby wears out I am opting for another Jeep, probably a Rubicon, great cars these Jeeps are.

I put a 4" suspension lift on it, changed the gearing to accomodate larger tires and threw a locker in the back differential,(Dana 44 btw). I have taken it on Moab runs, difficult trails and the occasional trip to the Rubicon Trail in NOrCal.

In 1994, my parents bought a Jeep-a Grand Cherokee in fact....

Since then, Jeep has been purchased by Chrysler and I won't take one even if it was free. My parents bought a Chrysler Jeep to replace "Norm" and hearing about how my dad was filling up gallon bottles at runoff streams going over Berthoud Pass when the module that controls the belt drive and water pump locked up was enough for me-it took them 2+ hours to drive from Empire to Fraser.

And I won't get into the left front wiring harness having been replaced already...

I wish you luck.....

Not to be rude or anything, but you're more or less saying that any vehicle that breaks *ever* isn't worth buying? All cars have their issues. Two Jeeps ago, we got a LEMON. The dealer decided that the car was indeed posessed by Satan himself and gave us a new one, no questions asked. Since then, I have driven up 45* dirt slopes, torn embankments apart by pushing them over, and driven through no less than 4 1/2 feet of water one time (oops) and the vehicle is still purring like a kitten and driving like a mountain goat. Apart from that one lemon that we got, we have NEVER had a reliability issuse.

So after 50,000 miles of faithful service, I've decided that its time for my Saab to retire (mostly because the warranty is up now). Lady Viggen's time is up and her replacement goes by the name of Rubi.

Im going to be ordering a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon loaded to the gills; Navigation, power windows, power locks, A/C, Sirius (Oh how I've missed it), dual top group, even floor mats! Of course its going to have the manual transmission. I'm soooo excited about it. Sorry to brag, I can't help it because Im uber pumped.

Great! I love buying new cars! :biggthump

However, all that stuff is available in a Wrangler??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is the point? That's what the other "jeeps" are for, right? I would think the Liberty or Patriot would be more usefull in that price range, and be a heck of a lot more comfortable. :freak3: I guess I just don't get "the Jeep Thing." :smashfrea

It sounds like you will be utilizing the off-road capabilities, and your jeep will be getting dirty, and for that you get props!

However, all that stuff is available in a Wrangler??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is the point? QUOTE]

It's the first time that Navi, and power locks/windows have ever been available in a wrangler. I see the point as being that I want a vehicle that can take me anywhere, but I'm not quite willing to sacrifice all of the creature comforts of my Saab for that capability. The liberty and Grand Cherokee just can't go everywhere that the wrangler can :biggthump .

Actually, it's going to be me-funded...

Come on Justin, you're a full-time student, right? As long as you're in school with tuition, room & board, healthcare paid for by the 'rents, everything you buy with "your own" money is parent-funded. I'm happy for you, but just be honest with yourself.

Enjoy that Rubicon.

Come on Justin, you're a full-time student, right? As long as you're in school with tuition, room & board, healthcare paid for by the 'rents, everything you buy with "your own" money is parent-funded. I'm happy for you, but just be honest with yourself.

Enjoy that Rubicon.

I don't mean to sound like a pompous ass here, but as a matter of fact, I'm paying for school, I paid for my saab which is being used to make the rubicon affordable, and I'm going to be paying the catch-up on the Jeep.

Actually, I suppose you could say that my great-grandmother is paying for everything right now. When she died we sold her house and she left me about $150,000 from the sale of the house, so I bought a Saab, and saved the rest for college.

Ok, fine, you got me, the 'rents still pay for healthcare and car insurance.

Just being honest with myself ;) .

Justin,

I'm a big fan of Jeep esp the Rubicon. I have an '02 libby renegade which is serving me well. Some minor issues but nothing to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I would've gotten the Rubi but I needed more towing capacity so the libby was the logical choice. I didn't want to get a large commander or anything like that for practical reasons.

Post some pics when you get it.

If you're not getting an UnLimited...I think you're nuts!

You'd be better served with a pre-2003 4Runner for the same price, better reliability.

The UnLimited is a very nice truck, SUV or whatever you want to call it.

Good luck..post some pix.

K

You'd be better served with a pre-2003 4Runner

I doubt it. Contrary to most buyers of Wranglers, I WILL be taking it out into situations that call for the vehicle's off-road prowess. The 4Runner has a 29 degree breakover angle, but very very subwrangler approach/departure angles, and less ground clearance. Besides, I want a NEW vehicle, and I can't get a pre-2003 4runner new ;) . I get ownership loyalty with jeep too :biggthump