Note to New Members ×

Which carving style do you employ?

Guest Oldsnwbrdr

or do you basically use the same technique as skidding your turns with a greater degree of commitment (these riders have straight lines through their lower and upper bodies and appear to be leaning towards the ground--but I'm not talking about laydown turns)?

If I may, your skidded turns should be just as strong as your carved turns, as they are just as if not more important. Body positioning, angulation, none of that should change. Obivously there are significant differences in the mechanics of a skidded as opposed to a carved turn, but your general technique should remain the same. You should never be locked into a carve and not have the ability to break out of it at any time, which is essentially skidding/regulating your edge angle.

Man, I'll never catch up.

Only another 6.5 months before I'm 20 for the third time.

It's not how low you carve, it's how old you carve. :cool:

"20 for the third time". I'll have to remember that. On my 50th I celebrated by doing last-ever standing back flip

33db7tz.gif

Today for my 60th I just rode a half mile on my unicycle.

316975j.jpg

Back to riding styles. As a racer I choose angulation (sometimes maybe too much) but I'd sure like to learn how to lay out those EuroCarves....

2n72gao.jpg

Guest Oldsnwbrdr

Thanks for contributing everyone... this is a good thread.

I did try demoing an alpine/hardboot setup a few years ago... it was a disaster. The hardboots and stance angles made it very difficult to get myself onto the board and my knees hurt a lot. Plus I couldn't stay upright on the thing and (despite being a pretty decent rider) I felt like a noob. So I stuck with my freeride board, and while I can carve with it easily I'm not sure how good my technique is (since I run into so few alpine riders on the slopes who can tell me!).

I am still obsessed with getting better at alpine riding. I think good carving is the most beautiful and graceful movement in sports (although I don't really like the EC style). This December I hope to demo another board but I'm going to use my existing softboots and bindings (Northwave/Flow), and put as much angle into the stances as I can without having heel/toe overhang.