Note to New Members ×

Help! Need boot part!

Mike T

Mike, DeeLuxe is working on new ankle pivot hardware for the AF shells. Hopefully it'll be available for next season (if not sooner). Some discussions of changing the materials.

Meanwhile, take a look at the attached file for a quick fix. The problem is just getting your hands on the medial pivot components to make the new lateral pivot!

The problem with the lateral rivet when broken is that the original replacement parts need a special anvil/swage to roll over the rivet head. So... go with a medial pivot (cant adjuster) and t-nut to make the fix as shown in the 3rd image

post-35-141842272008_thumb.jpg

post-35-14184227201_thumb.jpg

post-35-141842272012_thumb.jpg

Here's what I've done on both Suzukas and my not-so-new Track 700s.

I went to remove the McGyverage from my old Suzukas and found that the t-nut and bolt were frozen together on one side, the other side I was able to get loose but threading it back together was difficult afterward. I can see how the same stresses that tore the rivet apart would have done that.

In any case the fix pictured below outlasted the original parts on my Suzukas by a long shot... 20 riding days on the Suzukas and the rivets were blown, probably 80 days and my fix was still holding up.

And it doesn't even look that bad. The nylon washer, I just file away until it's a good fit. Took me 5 minutes for the pair.

post-48-141842272035_thumb.jpg

post-48-141842272036_thumb.jpg

I made a quick fix on my boot by cutting down a washer to fit in the 1/2 moon recess. The hole in the middle of it for the screw is slightly larger than the threaded shaft screw diameter which leave a little bit of slop to it. Will this hurt anything if I leave it this way for a while? Was in a jam and wanted to ride real bad so just made do with what I could find in the garage. I'm going to try and find a piece of something to take up the slack between the washer and screw.

I made a quick fix on my boot by cutting down a washer to fit in the 1/2 moon recess. The hole in the middle of it for the screw is slightly larger than the threaded shaft screw diameter which leave a little bit of slop to it. Will this hurt anything if I leave it this way for a while? Was in a jam and wanted to ride real bad so just made do with what I could find in the garage. I'm going to try and find a piece of something to take up the slack between the washer and screw.

I suspect that it'll get you through. The problem would be if the two shell pieces (upper and lower) are damaging each other, you'd probably be able to figure that out pretty easily.

BTW in the fix I showed above, the T-nut shaft fits nice and snug into the hole on the inside part of the shell. But note that the T-nuts are prongless, so the replacement parts can still act as a joint. I looked on McMaster-Carr and didn't see anything like what I have... maybe I'm using the wrong terminology... if someone knows, please provide a link.

I suspect that it'll get you through. The problem would be if the two shell pieces (upper and lower) are damaging each other, you'd probably be able to figure that out pretty easily.

BTW in the fix I showed above, the T-nut shaft fits nice and snug into the hole on the inside part of the shell. But note that the T-nuts are prongless, so the replacement parts can still act as a joint. I looked on McMaster-Carr and didn't see anything like what I have... maybe I'm using the wrong terminology... if someone knows, please provide a link.

BINGO. Like Mike said. I would not want to have threads from a bolt banging or abrading again the plastic for very long, it would tend to eat out the hole. Leaving permanent damages. It needs a "Sleave" of some type, like the t-nut Mike mentions.